Irvine to RCC?

Just wondering, are there any UC Irvine students out there who make the trip to RCC for the marching tigers. Or do you know of anyone who makes a trip along that route?

You can take Metrolink from Irvine, which is near UCI to Riverside which is walking distance from RCC. Let me know if you want more details.

I used to live 4 miles from there. I wouldn't hold your breath on University students trek-ing to a community college. It's not "that" far, but it is California, ya'all measure distance out there by travel times, not miles. And that's not as predictable as back in the day. i.e. DCI 2007, had me leaving monday (about a week later) about noon-ish heading away from the beach. 9 hours later, I had traveled maybe 70 miles. The band was well taken care of, charter bus everywhere, food everywhere, even some momentos (shirts, cups, ...). But it was a bit busy too. Gigs every weekend, and a half dozen or more of them. Outside of a tour ($everal hundred to go 60 miles away for TWO DAYS / Pasadena), it was mostly paid for with tuition. circa '89

It's not "that" far, but it is California, ya'all measure distance out there by travel times, not miles. And that's not as predictable as back in the day. i.e. DCI 2007, had me leaving monday (about a week later) about noon-ish heading away from the beach.

Boy....ain't THAT the truth!! :smile:

I used to live 4 miles from there. I wouldn't hold your breath on University students trek-ing to a community college. It's not "that" far, but it is California, ya'all measure distance out there by travel times, not miles. And that's not as predictable as back in the day. i.e. DCI 2007, had me leaving monday (about a week later) about noon-ish heading away from the beach. 9 hours later, I had traveled maybe 70 miles. The band was well taken care of, charter bus everywhere, food everywhere, even some momentos (shirts, cups, ...). But it was a bit busy too. Gigs every weekend, and a half dozen or more of them. Outside of a tour ($everal hundred to go 60 miles away for TWO DAYS / Pasadena), it was mostly paid for with tuition. circa '89

Back in the early 80's, I was a field service computer tech (and drum corps instructor :smile: ). Our offices were in Huntington Beach, but I had accounts as far away as Oceanside (50 miles south), San Bernardino (60 miles east), Bakersfield (140 miles north), and Thousand Oaks (75 miles northwest). Most of the time I spent in Orange County and LA County. When you're out there everyday, you start to learn which route to take depending on what time of day, and traffic reports become your best friend. In fact, it gets to the point that you know which lane to be in at any given point on particular freeways.

Most rush hours found me heading back to HB from somewhere in LA County. Once I got to around the San Diego (The 405, aka The Longest Linear Parking Lot in the World) and Long Beach freeways, I'd go south into downtown Long Beach and drive the coast back to the shop. It didn;t take me any longer than the freeway, but I got back in a better mood after driving along the beach with the windows down and the Jimmy Buffet cranked up on the CD player.

More on topic, if you're bent on this particular option, you need to check out the FasTrak. There is a toll road between south central Orange County to the Orange/Riverside County line. It will take you from I-5 to CA-91 and avoid major traffic on I-5 and CA-55, and the majority of CA-91 out of Orange County on the way to RCC. The other option is the CA-91 FasTrak. These are dedicated lanes in the center of the existing freeway. That will take you from the terminal end of CA-55 to Corona. Either way, it's more economical to get the FasTrak for the Foothill tollroad as it's less expensive than cash tolls. The down side is you can't access the 91 FasTrak from the toll road once you reach the northern terminus at CA-91. The 91 FasTrak requires the FasTrak pass exclusively.

Hope this helps. The FasTrak will save you time, money, wear and tear on your car, and frustration.

The Toll Roads

91 Express Lanes

Garry in Vegas

You can also contact Gary or Sheila Locke through the school and ask about carpools. They can usually point you in the direction of someone in the know.

RCC Marching Band

Riverside City College

4800 Magnolia Ave.

Riverside, CA 92506

Tel: (951) 222-8294/8295

Fax: (951) 222-8145

E-mail: Gary.Locke@rcc.edu

E-mail: Sheila.Locke@rcc.edu

Back in the early 80's, I was a field service computer tech (and drum corps instructor :worthy: ). Our offices were in Huntington Beach, but I had accounts as far away as Oceanside (50 miles south), San Bernardino (60 miles east), Bakersfield (140 miles north), and Thousand Oaks (75 miles northwest). Most of the time I spent in Orange County and LA County. When you're out there everyday, you start to learn which route to take depending on what time of day, and traffic reports become your best friend. In fact, it gets to the point that you know which lane to be in at any given point on particular freeways.............

"Early 80's"????? Yeah and that was 30 years ago when there were only about 2/3 of the cars on the road we now have. You could have probably gone from HB to San Berdoo in about 70 minutes back then. That is now at least an hour and 45 minutes.

And FasTrak... Forget the express lanes. They back up just as bad during the heavy traffic times. You just end up paying $5 to $10 to sit in the same traffic.