Vanguard Plants Its Flag On Great Music For 2010

This article is the first of a multi-part series exploring the creative development of the Vanguard's 2010 show, BARTOK. In this issue, we hear from Key Poulan who is arranging the selected music for brass. In later issues, we'll hear about arranging for percussion, writing the drill and guard composition,...

... Read the rest of the article here - http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/index.php?o...2&Itemid=39

Awesome article - sheds great light on the design process.

And for those who want to get the "what should I go out and buy" part out of the way...

Hints for the Listener

Finally, Key passed along some hints for the fans who may want to listen to the music selected for Vanguard’s 2010 show. “Pay attention to the finale from the concerto (“Pesante. Presto.”) and listen to the second movement of Music for Strings.” he said. Working with just one composer allows a unified thread to run through the entire piece. The listener will notice that these two pieces have certain stylistic similarities and are among Bartók’s more approachable works. “You can sit back, listen, and enjoy them. The uplifting and triumphant parts are accessible as is the angst. Bartók's ability to do this is the mark of a true genius.”

Mike

I love the "hints for the listener". :worthy:

I hope Phantom post something similar.

Awesome article - sheds great light on the design process.

And for those who want to get the "what should I go out and buy" part out of the way...

Mike

It's refreshing ( while suimultaneously sad too ) that Composers like Bartok receive more notoriety after their death than when they were alive. Bela Bartok died in abject poverty. Only 10 people attended hs funeral in 1945.

Edited by BRASSO

I like what Key does with other folks stuff . . .a lot.

His original stuff doesn't do anything for me, but I'm really looking forward to seeing what he does with these pieces, especially with the parts he's listed as prominent in the transcription.