I know it's been discussed before...

1983 is a good example. Corpreps has only one score for the Marauders - a California show, yet we had a 3 week long season up in the Northwest competing against the Argonauts, Imperials, Spartans, Cascades and others. Not one of those shows is listed. Not bashing corpreps at all as they do the best they can with the info available, just pointing out the difficulty in making judgments from that dataset.

If you have that info, then you should send it to them. They will post it, but they can only work with the information they have. I sent them the complete results for '78 Canadian Nationals, which they didn't have, and they posted it.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you have that info, then you should send it to them. They will post it, but they can only work with the information they have. I sent them the complete results for '78 Canadian Nationals, which they didn't have, and they posted it.

Absolutely - I know they would post it! Unfortunately I don't have it. I was a 16 year-old kid on tour. I was thinking more than a day ahead at that time!

My point was to be critical of corpsreps at all, but rather to point out that it is difficult to make any judgments given incompleteness of the info.

Absolutely - I know they would post it! Unfortunately I don't have it. I was a 16 year-old kid on tour. I was thinking more than a day ahead at that time!

My point was to be critical of corpsreps at all, but rather to point out that it is difficult to make any judgments given incompleteness of the info.

Although corpreps has a bunch of data, it is very incomplete prior to 1975 or so. There were hundreds of drum corps in the 70's and literally thousands of shows. Corpsreps has only a fraction of that information. 100% agree basing judgements on corpreps data is weak. I seldom look at the site anymore because it so lacking in the information from my marching days.

Although corpreps has a bunch of data, it is very incomplete prior to 1975 or so. There were hundreds of drum corps in the 70's and literally thousands of shows. Corpsreps has only a fraction of that information. 100% agree basing judgements on corpreps data is weak. I seldom look at the site anymore because it so lacking in the information from my marching days.

I know that a lot of us don't necessarily have that data compiled; the reason I could give them '78 Canadian Nationals info is because it's printed right there on the back cover of the record album. But again, I would encourage people that if they do have info that's missing from corpspreps.com, then by all means send it their way. They will post it!

Brian Tolzmann has posted here before - he has the most complete numbers. His total for 1972 was 442.

Yes, I've been the "keeper of the census" for over 30 years. The figures change from time to time as more information is learned from previous seasons. The 1972 total has been increased to 446. That is the number of North American junior corps that either competed or performed an exhibition on the field during the year.

The geographic breakdown for 1972:

NY--64

MA--49

NJ--39

WI--38

QUE--30

IL--24

PA--23

ONT--23

CA--20

CT--20

To give you a comparison, in 2009 there were 51 North American juniors that appeared on a field.

The top geographic areas:

CA--13

WI--5

NJ--3

OH--3

Yes, I've been the "keeper of the census" for over 30 years. The figures change from time to time as more information is learned from previous seasons. The 1972 total has been increased to 446. That is the number of North American junior corps that either competed or performed an exhibition on the field during the year.

NY--64

MA--49

NJ--39

WI--38

QUE--30

IL--24

PA--23

ONT--23

CA--20

CT--20

To give you a comparison, in 2009 there were 51 North American juniors that appeared on a field.

CA--13

WI--5

NJ--3

OH--3

Interesting list. In regard to Illinois, I am trying to guess who was still around then. Did you include cadet corps? Cavalier, Guardsment, Phantom?

NY--64

MA--49

NJ--39

WI--38

QUE--30

IL--24

PA--23

ONT--23

CA--20

CT--20

CA--13

WI--5

NJ--3

OH--3

For the 72 era what geographic area did you include Ohio and Mich. Corps?

Dean

• 3 weeks later...
Michigan had 13 field junior corps in 1972, while Ohio had 8.

Not to belabor the point but I do remember vividly August 1972 - a grueling two days of competition World Open in Lynn, MA. 56 Drum Corps in two classes ("A" & "B") for the prelims on Friday.

Saturday, it went like this - 20 Corps in 3 classes:

All-Girl

1 Mello-Dears 61.250

2 Chatelaines De Laval 59.450

3 St. Ignatius 58.900

4 Capitol Aires 50.100

5 Norwood Debonaires 48.550

Class A

1 Kilties 81.100

2 St. Rita's Brassmen 77.700

3 Muchachos 77.350

4 Des Plaines Vanguard 75.250

5 Bridgemen 74.150

6 Bleu Raeders 71.950

7 Pembroke Imperials 70.750

8 CMCC Warriors 69.650

9 Cadets Lasalle 68.550

10 Emerald Cadets 67.950

Class B

1 Squires 70.600

2 Royales 68.750

3 Keystone Regiment 64.550

4 Vagabonds 63.450

5 Kingston Indians 55.850

And I don't have the numbers in front of me but I'm sure there were more than 65 Corps marching from New York

There were probably more than that in the 5 Boroughs of New York City.

Puppet