I know it's been discussed before...

How many drum corps were around in the early 70's?

How many competed (in all divisions) at the first DCI championship?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How many drum corps were around in the early 70's?

Nancy, There were at least 445 jr. corps in 1972 and dwindled down to 246 by the start of 1980.

Nancy, There were at least 445 jr. corps in 1972 and dwindled down to 246 by the start of 1980.

...and now approx. 50 compete at DCI?

seemed like 1,000's really... they were everywhere... and all had some great quality to them and their own "identity." That is NOT a slam to todays corps, who tend to look the same in many cases. But each corps back then had some real unique identity and were known for that. Here in the Chicago area, there were corps in almost every community... all over the place.

I know the east coast was just packed with a corps in practically every town. A few towns even had two corps as I recall...

There was only one division, and 39 corps showed up for prelims.

Garry in Vegas

seemed like 1,000's really... they were everywhere... and all had some great quality to them and their own "identity." That is NOT a slam to todays corps, who tend to look the same in many cases. But each corps back then had some real unique identity and were known for that. Here in the Chicago area, there were corps in almost every community... all over the place.

I know the east coast was just packed with a corps in practically every town. A few towns even had two corps as I recall...

The questions I would have is....were ALL of those field corps? Can we really count the purely parade corps in our figuring here?

The questions I would have is....were ALL of those field corps? Can we really count the purely parade corps in our figuring here?

Why the heck not?

I will say this, there was an entire circuit of maybe 15 -20 corps alone in western PA and NY in the 70's and early 80's, where less than a handful of those ever went to DCI finals,.................and most of those were corps bigger than most of the open class corps today,...............in the 70's the Erie Mavericks Junior Drum and Bugle Corps consistantly put 70 - 80 kids on the field, and never went to finals............

Edited by Gary Matczak

There was only one division, and 39 corps showed up for prelims.

Garry in Vegas

Oh.

I thought that all girls etc were in different classes...

Gary,

Every weekend we would be at a show between Ontario, NY and PA and occassionally in Ohio. Up against corps like The Midlanders, Krescendos, Flying Dutchmen, Seneca Optimists, Oakland Crusaders, Imperial Regiment, Greece Cadets, Tri- Town Cadets, Mavericks, Buckeyes, Alpine Girls, Mello Dears, grenadiers, Syracuse Marauders, etc. Those were fun times!

I will say this, there was an entire circuit of maybe 15 -20 corps alone in western PA and NY in the 70's and early 80's, where less than a handful of those ever went to DCI finals,.................and most of those were corps bigger than most of the open class corps today,...............in the 70's the Erie Mavericks Junior Drum and Bugle Corps consistantly put 70 - 80 kids on the field, and never went to finals............