Star of Indiana 1991

They may have had the best show, but their finals performance was not the best that night. Rondo even said so on the broadcast. From my vantage point (side 2 5 yard line top row) Cavvies seemed much better, most of crowd around thought that Star would win, but if it were based on performance they would be about 4th...behind Cavvies, Santa Clara, and Garfield.

Aside from BD, the brass line was light years ahead of any of those corps you mentioned. IMO they not only broke barriers in tempos and difficulty but also with #### clarity. I saw some flaws visually (that frankly bug me a lot-I want perfection on some of those magnificent moves) but on the other hand, everybody else was doing safe drill at 150 bpm in comparison...The fact that Star was in the same ballpark in visual clarity is a huge deal imo. I think I heard one of my fellow alums say that Star's final 2 or 3 minutes had more steps than Cavalier's entire show...not sure how accurate that is, but I guess this would be easy to tabulate if someone wanted to take the time to simply compare tempos of the 2 shows over the same time period...just my 2 cents...

I seem to remember that what Rondo was implying in the broadcast was that the Cavies maximized their show where Star didn't...that's a testament to how good they and the design were...kind of like how those Michael Jordan Bulls teams could still come away with a victory against a great team even after playing a terrible game.

also, Rondo happened to say in his speech at our alumni reunion that star should've won 91-93 (he might've said '90-'93...can't remember exactly). Granted, he was probably appealing to the partisan crowd.

Edited by Dave
filter circumvention - ds

I was in the Cotton Bowl all three nights in 91. Seeing Star and Cavies back-to-back was breathtaking. To mirror some of what Rondo said, it did seem like the Cavaliers played to win and Star played not to lose. Don't misunderstand me. Both corps played GREAT! The people in our area of the stadium had no idea who was going to win. The shows were that good. In the end it was Star, and it was a brilliant show.

I heard a rumor (so take it for what it is) the next day that the judges had no idea who was going to win and went back to the judges room to compare notes while the sheets were in the tabulators hands. Because you're judging individual captions, you have no idea what kind of numbers the other judges have put on their sheets. Evidently, both corps had made such a great impression on them that they just had to get together to talk about it. That's pretty cool, and I hope it's a true story.

I do remember that I enjoyed so many performances that weekend. It was a good year for drum corps, but more so to be a spectator/fan and get to enjoy so many good performances.

Oh, and Star won brass with 2V bugles while everyone else had already adapted the 3V models.

Garry in Vegas

Edited by CrunchyTenor

Aside from BD, the brass line was light years ahead of any of those corps you mentioned. IMO they not only broke barriers in tempos and difficulty but also with t!t$ clarity. I saw some flaws visually (that frankly bug me a lot-I want perfection on some of those magnificent moves) but on the other hand, everybody else was doing safe drill at 150 bpm in comparison...The fact that Star was in the same ballpark in visual clarity is a huge deal imo. I think I heard one of my fellow alums say that Star's final 2 or 3 minutes had more steps than Cavalier's entire show...not sure how accurate that is, but I guess this would be easy to tabulate if someone wanted to take the time to simply compare tempos of the 2 shows over the same time period...just my 2 cents...

I seem to remember that what Rondo was implying in the broadcast was that the Cavies maximized their show where Star didn't...that's a testament to how good they and the design were...kind of like how those Michael Jordan Bulls teams could still come away with a victory against a great team even after playing a terrible game.

also, Rondo happened to say in his speech at our alumni reunion that star should've won 91-93 (he might've said '90-'93...can't remember exactly). Granted, he was probably appealing to the partisan crowd.

Funny, I always claim that Star should have won 1990 - 1993, I thought they pulled out the shocker in 90, but God forbid, 92..they were hosed and 93, I can see why Cadets won but thought for sure Star was going to take it.

G

• Like 1

It's because of these years of DCI, that I curse my parents not for having me 5-6 years earlier. :blink:

But then (in my little mind) the sky opened up... and Star of Indiana Alumni Corps fell from the heavens for a one time gig. Double knot your shoes and break out your MP3 recorders as we are going to try our best not to suck. :blink:

• Like 1

Elliot, my Brother.....1991 Blue Devils brass was arguably the best to ever hit the field.......

G

I was not a big fan of BD. Not knocking them or anything, I respect what they've done and do, but I never got into the style of music. But '91 is one of the years that I just can't get enough of. Awesome show. :blink:

To maybe help answer the question about how the mellos helped to build stamina and play that book....

We never stood still in warmup... Barry Hudson was the mello tech along with lead hornline tech and from when we left for tour until finals we never stood still. We did circle drill to most everything so we were really most comfortable playing on the move versus playing standing still. I am sure that helped with the endurance.

But as has also been previously stated.... we heard "Again" a WHOLE lot!!

It was a fun book to play!

Hey, is Barry Hudson the sop soloist from '88?

I was in the Cotton Bowl all three nights in 91. Seeing Star and Cavies back-to-back was breathtaking. To mirror some of what Rondo said, it did seem like the Cavaliers played to win and Star played not to lose. Don't misunderstand me. Both corps played GREAT! The people in our area of the stadium had no idea who was going to win. The shows were that good. In the end it was Star, and it was a brilliant show.

I heard a rumor (so take it for what it is) the next day that the judges had no idea who was going to win and went back to the judges room to compare notes while the sheets were in the tabulators hands. Because you're judging individual captions, you have no idea what kind of numbers the other judges have put on their sheets. Evidently, both corps had made such a great impression on them that they just had to get together to talk about it. That's pretty cool, and I hope it's a true story.

I do remember that I enjoyed so many performances that weekend. It was a good year for drum corps, but more so to be a spectator/fan and get to enjoy so many good performances.

Oh, and Star won brass with 2V bugles while everyone else had already adapted the 3V models.

Garry in Vegas

Hey Garry. I only got to go to Finals that year and was curious if you noticed that Star's best performance was Quarters or Semis. I remember some '91 alums telling me that it definitely wasn't finals night but I couldn't remember which...it was so friggin' hot that weekend. Honestly, it seemed like all of the corps were a little bit flat Finals night. I didn't enjoy '91 as much as my first year ('90), but I guess the first year you see DCI always holds special place for all of us (or was it the crappy tickets I had at the CB?)

As has been said many times, '91 Star is one of those you need the visual to go along with the music. It was an amazing show visually. I rememebr watching it on PBS, and seeing them take the drill right into the pit and thought WOW!

As has been said many times, '91 Star is one of those you need the visual to go along with the music. It was an amazing show visually. I rememebr watching it on PBS, and seeing them take the drill right into the pit and thought WOW!

I remember watching them take the drill right into the pit and thinking, "Isn't the field you have big enough, Mr. Zingali?"

• Like 1