Just wondering?

um... stuff..... :tongue:

You know, pictures, recordings, music, flags, trophies, literature. How do Corps keep all this stuff? And keep it safe. Do most just throw it in a room and hope the room does not start on fire, or are they scanning everything , getting it on discs to protect there history. Is it certain people, or groups for each Corps? Just wondering how all the different Corps keep there stuff. I am sure you could call it alot of things, but I will stick with calling it stuff.

You know, pictures, recordings, music, flags, trophies, literature. How do Corps keep all this stuff? And keep it safe. Do most just throw it in a room and hope the room does not start on fire, or are they scanning everything , getting it on discs to protect there history. Is it certain people, or groups for each Corps? Just wondering how all the different Corps keep there stuff. I am sure you could call it alot of things, but I will stick with calling it stuff.

Of course! I see plenty of archives online of photos and print but what about 100 years from now? Uniforms, instruments, souvenirs, etc. should be saved. Sounds like a "historical society for the preservation of drum corps arts" needs to be erected on it's way to becoming the "national drum and bugle corps memorial museum." Let's just hope it get's built in a cool place. Like not Indianapolis. Maybe Hutchinson, KS? Racine, WI? Toronto, EH?

I think Cadets just came out with a 75th anniversary book recently- I haven't heard too much from other corps though.

Interesting idea, I think a corps history preservation group would be a great way to bring more interest to the activity as well as create a hang out for us die-hard fans.

I feel like an ### haha, I was being smart with that answer I typed. Overall I guess I feel that its kinda like our high school band does it, where its a known thing and the story of why its done is passed down to each generation with the same story as told us. Thats about what I can make of it...

• 2 weeks later...
I feel like an ### haha, I was being smart with that answer I typed. Overall I guess I feel that its kinda like our high school band does it, where its a known thing and the story of why its done is passed down to each generation with the same story as told us. Thats about what I can make of it...

Yep, one of the big problems I see in the new way of Drum Corps. Im surprised you did not ask for money with your post usually thats what happens these days with alot of the kids today. Anyway the reason why I started this post is because I am going to try and get my corps historical items in order and I thought it would be cool to know what other Corps do with all there histoical items. Im looking at trying to digitalize all the pictures and get them on discs to save them in a safe way so future generations can see where we came from. I just thought it might be interesting to see what all the other Corps do? Never really thought about anything for the other Corps, just maybe some insite on what the others do. Not much help from anyone on here so I will try elsewhere. Just a thought, so I thought I would try. Peace.

Dang good question since few corps have their own buildings anymore. Business Manager of my old corps has a real treasure trove of items going back to at least the early 50s (corps started 1946). Coolest item IMO is the 3 foot high 1952 VFW Championship trophy. My current corps is connected to the local American Legion Post and some items (not sure of all) are housed there. Including some pics from the early 1920s. Hawthorne Caballeros have their items at the sponsoring Post #199. Never been there but sounds like a trip thru history. (Going there is on my DC "bucket list".)

Only thing I can think of that can be done personally is a website of corps history and watch out for copyrighted pics. Or facebook... <$1 to Jeff Ream>

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

Dang good question since few corps have their own buildings anymore. Business Manager of my old corps has a real treasure trove of items going back to at least the early 50s (corps started 1946). Coolest item IMO is the 3 foot high 1952 VFW Championship trophy. My current corps is connected to the local American Legion Post and some items (not sure of all) are housed there. Including some pics from the early 1920s. Hawthorne Caballeros have their items at the sponsoring Post #199. Never been there but sounds like a trip thru history. (Going there is on my DC "bucket list".)

Only thing I can think of that can be done personally is a website of corps history and watch out for copyrighted pics. Or facebook... <$1 to Jeff Ream>

Thanks, just what I was looking for. I love the old history of Drum Corps and a few weekends ago I was going thru alot of our stuff and thought this needs to be preserved so I am on a fact finding mission to find the best way of doing it. Agian thanks.