video'$

dugg

Okay....let's try this again....

**First, everything I say on here has been said directly to the executive board of our circuit.**

Our circuit signed a contract for this service within the last couple of weeks. Directors were not given input, and were not given any right of refusal for their shows being posted. I personally voiced my displeasure, especially considering that our 2010 Policy Manual says, "There will be no videotaping for sale to the general public at any SAPA regular season competition." At that point, I was told that it is the same as WGI and their Fan Network.

• WGI gets permission when you register for regionals for groups to be recorded for later use on their website......our circuit did not.
  • WGI makes it well known that all regionals will be recorded and groups plan their production and performance schedules accordingly.......our circuit announced this one week prior to the first recording.

. One of the more disturbing parts of the whole thing was that the "release" we had to sign consisted of one paragraph, embedded in the middle of the Damage Waiver for the local show last weekend. If you don't sign the damage waiver, you don't get to compete. No director is going to stand at the check in table and say, "Sorry kids, we can't compete today because they put something I don't agree with in the middle of a standard form."

Let me be very upfront and say that I'm sure the quality of the recordings is of a very professional quality and my gripes are not at all with the company providing the service itself. I have not seen our video, as directors were not given access to see our shows as we were originally told by our circuit we would be able to do.

The concern over intellectual property rights is a very valid one. While copyright paperwork was turned in for the music, that does not extend to the creative work that is displayed with each show. Though lawyer friends tell me it would be very do-able, I seriously doubt anyone would really sue for distributing our shows without permission. That said, it has given many of us a distinct feeling of distrust toward those who should be working on behalf of our member units.

If nothing else, it should make for a very interesting meeting in June.... :w00t:

seems obvious there are a few circuits ( in closer range ) did say " we dont want our vids up until after Feb regional" Dance around it all you want , many believe this to be true.....and your right we should be consulted 1st by our boards afterall they are there working for us not against us, or independent from us !!!!!!

what are your thoughts on your guard being video taped and those images then sold for a profit on color guard websites?

who owns your intellectual property and who controls the rights to disseminate or broadcast said property? :rolleyes:

Very interesting comments and discussion so far, have not thought about the aspect of copy right infringements and intellectual property beyond the use the music in this idiom.

With the advent of digital floors and flags, some designers are asking and PAYING for the right to use images for said floors and flags. What happens when a guard pays for the use of an image for a floor and the show is videotaped and sold....should the originator/creator of the image get paid?

As far as the design of the show itself, I suppose that is the intellectual property of the designer. Should the designer get a cut of the profits if their show is on a DVD/video that is sold? Is creating a guard show different than creating a dance piece? When Mark Morris or Mia what's her name creates a new show, does it not become his/her property? Is there a difference?

intriguing....interesting...hmmm...

It seems to me that you have to copyright a show design before it can be established as IP. The music is copyrighted, designs on flags and floors are often copyrighted, but show design is rarely copyrighted, and that is the only way you can claim intellectual property. Since most instructors do not copyright their show design, once that paper is signed, you have signed away your right to control your IP.

That seems a bit much to me, but if it protects you, and gives you control of your hard work, it is probably worth doing.

Take a digital video camera, record the whole work, give it a name, fill out the necessary copyright papers, and send your work in to the copyright office.