2009 Drum books

like who?

?

In no real order, Crown, Phantom, Boston, Blue Stars, SCV, Bluecoats, Colts......... does that qualify as several? Not to say there weren't other good books besides these, but these came to mind first.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i highly enjoyed SCV's book because of the limitations of the show. In fact i'll sweat their first two percussion breaks were some of the most musical percussion writing in DCI history.

I've become so less about the "ram" or quantity of notes, which is why BD in recent years has bored me to tears. Sure I like beef, but I also like to see and hear how it fits the whole package. I'm so over "the lot" because you see people out there playing #### you'll never see them do on the field, and even with top programs you can see they spend more time on that stuff than they do on the field show.

if i ran a DCI line, we'd have the most boring warmups in history, because if it wasn't in the show, I wouldn't waste hours working it in the lot just so the youtube fans could watch and drool over it...i'd rather work on what counts, the stuff that will apply to those 11 minutes

Phantom had an incredible book, and performed it better than any line performed theirs. Unfortunately DCI judging put them much lower than they should have been because of the corps overall placement.

:(

if i ran a DCI line, we'd have the most boring warmups in history, because if it wasn't in the show, I wouldn't waste hours working it in the lot just so the youtube fans could watch and drool over it...i'd rather work on what counts, the stuff that will apply to those 11 minutes

Well one thing I think you are forgetting is how many of those warm ups you seem to dislike are directly aimed towards the show music. For instance, the Troopers exercise book this year is groovy, not boring, and each exercise is directly geared towards a type of rhythm or phrasing in the show. I know that working on the exercises so much has made the show much, much easier to understand for me.

Edited by AdamP

Well one thing I think you are forgetting is how many of those warm ups you seem to dislike are directly aimed towards the show music. For instance, the Troopers exercise book this year, is groovy, certainly not boring, and each exercise is directly geared towards a type of rhythm or phrasing in the show. I know that working on the exercises so much has made the show much, much easier to understand.

Ok, THAT is what I was thinking. I can't bring myself believe that drum warm ups are just meant to sound cool, with no educational (for lack of a better word) value.

welcome to the cavaliers :worthy: we'll see what this years staff decides to do, that goes for brass as well.

welcome to the cavaliers :worthy: we'll see what this years staff decides to do, that goes for brass as well.

Coming from a Cavalier.

Our warmups this year were directly linked to our show. For example, our triplet rolls exercise was the exact excerpt from our drum feature just broken down and developed into a roll sequence... As for the "in the lot" piece, "Fast Things" was actually our on-field warm-up.... Everything we played in warm-up, we played on the field.

As for great books: SCV, Blue Stars and Bluecoats all and FANTASTIC books in 2009.

Well one thing I think you are forgetting is how many of those warm ups you seem to dislike are directly aimed towards the show music. For instance, the Troopers exercise book this year is groovy, not boring, and each exercise is directly geared towards a type of rhythm or phrasing in the show. I know that working on the exercises so much has made the show much, much easier to understand for me.

a few corps have them yes. but the key word is few