Medals

So, I have gone to Championships before and have noticed that medals are not given out to 1st-3rd place corps... just 1st place. Does anyone know why they do this? Other than cost, I cannot see why the two runner-up groups could not also receive a silver and bronze. I think the same is also true with the Class A groups, as well.

Thoughts?

When I marched and won two DCA titles, there were no medals for the members at all. I'm sure there are many former championship corps members like me, because I'm not sure when they started the practice.

Perhaps it is a cost factor that prevents awarding silver and bronze, but I just think it's nice they give the winners first place medals now. :tongue:

I wasn't aware DCA called first place "gold". My medal for winning in 2005 doesn't say "gold" on it at all.

I believe the DCA Medal is for "CHAMPION". I don't know when it started.

The Gold, Silver, Bronze, is a DCI thing. (a not needed one IMO)

We were always told. "No one paints 2nd place on the Bass Drum". Hope I it stays that way. You are either CHAMPION or you are not.

Edited by OldStyleCorps

When I marched and won two DCA titles, there were no medals for the members at all. I'm sure there are many former championship corps members like me, because I'm not sure when they started the practice.

Perhaps it is a cost factor that prevents awarding silver and bronze, but I just think it's nice they give the winners first place medals now. :smile:

john remember when we used to get medals at the A.L. championships? they were attenedance medals. they were cpretty cool. i can't remember when they stopped that.

I believe the DCA Medal is for "CHAMPION". I don't know when it started.

The Gold, Silver, Bronze, is a DCI thing. (a not needed one IMO)

We were always told. "No one paints 2nd place on the Bass Drum". Hope I it stays that way. You are either CHAMPION or you are not.

DCI also gives medals for all Finalists. I am not saying we need to do that (as DCA Finals only excludes a handful of Open Class corps), but I do think that second or third is much better than 10th... I think it should get acknowledged. They do it in the Olympics, and have been for hundreds of years.

Just a thought.

DCA presents only a champion medal... not gold silver bronz or purple...

Personally, I'm fine with that and it would be an added expense taken away from the money that goes to the corps at the end of the year.

john remember when we used to get medals at the A.L. championships? they were attenedance medals. they were cpretty cool. i can't remember when they stopped that.

Donnie, those were the official convention medal given to every registered legionnaire in attendance. Since we were competing and registered, we all got them. So didn't every legion guy in attendance, but they were neat to have.

DCA presents only a champion medal... not gold silver bronz or purple...

Personally, I'm fine with that and it would be an added expense taken away from the money that goes to the corps at the end of the year.

I agree, Tom.

On this, DCI has its system, DCA has its system.

Fran

That's a great way to put it, Tom! In a similar vein, we were always told "No one remembers who came in second place."

Yes, Don I remember those bronze 'attendance' or 'participant' medals that we got. I still have my four. A nice souvenir, with the year and the convention city on it.