Serenade in Brass - Mini Corps Show - CANCELED

Posted by Five Star Brass Productions / Serenade in Brass:

MINI CORPS CONTEST CANCELED

We regret to inform you that the mini corps competition scheduled for Saturday afternoon April 10th in Harrisburg, PA has been canceled. Mini Corps Associates (MCA) was to have organized and presented the afternoon show with the winning corps advancing to perform at Serenade in Brass that evening.

MCA was unable to secure enough corps to hold a contest and officially canceled the show on February 25th.

All persons who have already purchased advance tickets for the mini corps show will receive a full refund. Please allow a few weeks for us to process the checks.

We are very pleased to announce the evening slot in the 35th Anniversary of Serenade in Brass will be filled by the Yankee Rebels. As a side note the Yankee Rebels were one of three corps that performed at the very first Serenade in Brass 35 years ago.

We sincerely apologize for the disappointment and inconvenience caused by the actions of MCA. We hope everyone will join us for an exciting evening of drum corps at Serenade in Brass.

Find all information at: www.FiveStarBrass.com

Edited by fivestar

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We regret to inform you that the mini corps competition scheduled for Saturday afternoon April 10th in Harrisburg, PA has been canceled. Mini Corps Associates (MCA) was to have organized and presented the afternoon show with the winning corps advancing to perform at Serenade in Brass that evening.

MCA was unable to secure enough corps to hold a contest and officially canceled the show on February 25th.

All persons who have already purchased advance tickets for the mini corps show will receive a full refund. Please allow a few weeks for us to process the checks.

We are very pleased to announce the evening slot in the 35th Anniversary of Serenade in Brass will be filled by the Yankee Rebels. As a side note the Yankee Rebels were one of three corps that performed at the very first Serenade in Brass 35 years ago.

We sincerely apologize for the disappointment and inconvenience caused by the actions of MCA. We hope everyone will join us for an exciting evening of drum corps at Serenade in Brass.

Sorry to hear this.

Oh well.... more time for lunch. :thumbup:

Fran

The ACTIONS of MCA? Maybe , just maybe, if the 5 Star people could have helped with the travel expenses of the Mini Corps there would have been a show! There were Mini Corps that were expected to travel 3 to 4 hundred miles on their own nickle to perform in an afternoon show just for the "privilige" to perform in the evening show for 0 dollars!! If the 5 Star people were to do that with the all the Corps in the evening show ( that they do pay travel expenses too)there wouldn't be a Serenade in Brass either! To ask groups to do this in this economy and then trash them because they can't afford to do so is friggin ludicrous!

Tell it like it is 5 Star, your just ###### because the Mini Corps Show will not be there to subsidize the evening show! Whoever sent this little memo out is a complete moron! Next time let the public know why it was cancelled instead of making it looked like MCA backed out for no reason and left the 5 Star people high and dry.

The ACTIONS of MCA? Maybe , just maybe, if the 5 Star people could have helped with the travel expenses of the Mini Corps there would have been a show! There were Mini Corps that were expected to travel 3 to 4 hundred miles on their own nickle to perform in an afternoon show just for the "privilige" to perform in the evening show for 0 dollars!! If the 5 Star people were to do that with the all the Corps in the evening show ( that they do pay travel expenses too)there wouldn't be a Serenade in Brass either! To ask groups to do this in this economy and then trash them because they can't afford to do so is friggin ludicrous!

Tell it like it is 5 Star, your just ###### because the Mini Corps Show will not be there to subsidize the evening show! Whoever sent this little memo out is a complete moron! Next time let the public know why it was cancelled instead of making it looked like MCA backed out for no reason and left the 5 Star people high and dry.

Does the afternoon show generate anywhere near the money the evening show does?They have to front the costs for a place, and judges.What did MCA do to ensure the success of what's seems to be 'their' main event.How many shows do you have scheduled?This will probably never happen again.

Moron?

hmmmm I think not...

APOLOGY HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

as of earlier this month Five Star was assuming the show was on and had been told nothing different until recently.

no offense, but the deal was known what was what when set up. Given, IMO, that the MCA show generates nowehre near the income the evening show does, I'd day if they paid people to show up and perform, Five Star would lose on the deal....big time.

Five Star doesn't pay people travel costs to the show at night. They pay an appearance fee. There's a difference.

Five Star was notified they didn't have the mini corps secured to attend any more as promised. What would you have them do?

They already lost a ton of money after HERCO ####ed them on the Hershey Spectacular.

No offense, but mini corps didnt draw all that well. In fact, i'll wager if admission was charged DCA weekend, the crowd would be smaller.

oh...I know who sent the memo...far from a moron. Way to bite the hand of people who actually promoted you guys while you're usually creating more drama on here after DCA weekend than the competing corps do

Edited by Jeff Ream

Does the afternoon show generate anywhere near the money the evening show does?They have to front the costs for a place, and judges.What did MCA do to ensure the success of what's seems to be 'their' main event.How many shows do you have scheduled?This will probably never happen again.

No, but it does bring more people to town tho to buy night show tickets, rent hotel rooms, etc,...........................The deal between Fivestar and MCA was good for both groups,.........................unfortunately not enough minis could commit, for many different reasons, some knew last fall they (we) couldn't make it, for others it was very recent developments that really caused the plug to be pulled,.........................

After so many attempts at trying to make it work, what was done had to be done.

Not to shoot the messenger, but a few words were a little unjustifyably pointed at MCA. I will tell you that Rod Keppel busted his butt NOT to let this show fall, and you would not believe the corps that were contacted and asked to perform that just said no.

Donny

as of earlier this month Five Star was assuming the show was on and had been told nothing different until recently.

no offense, but the deal was known what was what when set up. Given, IMO, that the MCA show generates nowehre near the income the evening show does, I'd day if they paid people to show up and perform, Five Star would lose on the deal....big time.

Five Star doesn't pay people travel costs to the show at night. They pay an appearance fee. There's a difference.

Five Star was notified they didn't have the mini corps secured to attend any more as promised. What would you have them do?

They already lost a ton of money after HERCO ####ed them on the Hershey Spectacular.

No offense, but mini corps didnt draw all that well. In fact, i'll wager if admission was charged DCA weekend, the crowd would be smaller.

oh...I know who sent the memo...far from a moron. Way to bite the hand of people who actually promoted you guys while you're usually creating more drama on here after DCA weekend than the competing corps do

Tom,I will apologize for the "moron" comment, kind of a heat of the moment, not thinking before I type thing. I'm sorry.

There is no difference between appearance fees and travels expenses if you live a few hundred miles from Harrisburg, those "appearance" fees are used to to pay for the expense of the trip.

The Mini Corps show was not a great draw nor was it a money maker,but...there were a number of people that were involved in the show, whether it be performing or just traveling with Minis that bought tickets for the evening show that would not have been there at all, had they not been associated with a Mini Corps somehow. Getting the winning Mini Corps to perform at night at no cost or no "appearance fee" is another benefit the MCA brought to the "Serenade" show

MCA appreciated very much what Larry and 5 Star has done to help promote MCA, but to throw them under the bus with the "actions" comment was totally out of line. MCA tried everything in their power to pull this show off, it just wasn't meant to be, for reasons that Gary has mentioned...

On a side note, I believe that MCA will be reimbursing 5 Star for any expenses they may have incurred, another reason I don't understand why the "actions" statement was made! Like I say, just tell it like it is.

Lastly, I'd wager that if you charged admission for anything as opposed to getting in free the crowd would be smaller, just a thought

I'm bummed.We really wanted to be there.Affects new guys like us,because its one of those things that spurs your group to get ready for.Could have been a battle of the Burgh for us too! We'll do a TOB indoor show that weekend instead.Thanks to everyone for trying.

Edited by jeff danchik