Garfield BHoF I&E Show

A couple of years before Mickey Mantle's death from a rejected liver transplant, a reporter asked the Mick what his prodigious talents would demand in the new era where every ball player was a multi-millionaire. "Oh, I guess about a million or so" said Mickey. The reporter was stunned. Here was one of the greatest power hitters of all times saying that he would be worth only $1,000,000 on the open market. He quizzed Mick, nudging him to admit that his talents would make him worth much more. Mickey responded with his chararcteristic tongue in cheek delivery, "Nah... a million's about right. I mean I'm almost 58 years old and I've had this liver transplant and all. I'm not sure I'd get much more than that."

Picture a fantasy camp with one of your boyhood (or girlhood) heroes. Picture playing catch with The Mick, or Willie, or Duke. Picture standing in the box and swinging at pitches from Koufax, Podres, Ford, Spahn, or Gibson... but at their best! Yeah, I know...it's a dream, right?

Well I had an experience pretty much like that this weekend. I was invited to play contra with a Reunion Ensemble of my old corps, the Long Island Sunrisers. But this wasn't my Sunrisers, the guys and girls from the mid- 70s, this was the Sunrisers of my youth, my musical heroes. Yeah, okay... not all of them. I would have killed to stand in a line with Bill Hightower and listen to him wail on a baritone, and remember the days I used to play along with recordings of his solos on "Sing, Sing, Sing", "It's a Pity to Say Good Night", or "Tin Roof Blues.' Not this time though. But pretty close. The big guys were there - Dorritie, Deliberto, Murphy, Buglino, Arietano, and more.

I was pretty psyched up getting ready for the big day. Then the weather came - 60 mph winds on Thursday night, turning into snow right into Friday. The Friday night rehearsal in Brooklyn that I needed so much canceled, flights to NY's JFK canceled in bunches. I saw my fantasy camp turning into simply a fantasy. My wife, seeing how bummed I was on Friday night said, "We'll drive down and back. It'll be fine." That was all the permission I needed. Next morning I loaded up the car with a baritone, a trombone, a suitcase... I was pretty sure I had it all. Oh whoops, except for my blue suit and tie, and my music. Sheesh.

When we pulled into the parking lot at the VFW, who was standing in the HP parking spot ready to guide us in? Frank Dorrite, arguably the greatest soprano in the history of the activity - at least back then. That's when the Mantle story came into my mind. I mean, how good could these guys be at 60? I practice my trombone every day and I suspect I'm a dim reflection of what I could do in the '70s. What did these guys have left in the tank? Was this going to be like a fantasy camp with Johnny Pesky, now in his late '80s?

I got all my stuff inside, collected the ancient Olds Ultratone 1 valve contra-bass and got in line, not quite sure what to expect. There were some changes to be sure. Bob Murphy, once my paradigm for what a soprano should sound like, with a big, clear, perfectly centered tone, was now playing baritone. Most of the guys were as grey as I, if not moreso. I was ready for the let down. Then they began to play...

If I closed my eyes during "The Joker" I could have seen the cadet jackets with blue and orange trim. It just sounded right. Then we played through Rock-a-bye, with Frank Dorritie playing the opening strains and Deliberto joining in in the middle of the 2nd phrase. I'd listened to this piece a thousand times as a kid, sometimes walking to Mitchell Field from Merrick, a cold 5 mile hike but well worth the effort. Now, in this dingy basement of a VFW hall in its final days, the music rang as clear and beautiful as it had 44 years earlier. Could it really be 44 years? My eyes said, "yeah - easily" but my ears? My ears had trouble being convinced that these guys were no longer the 18 and 21 year old giants of my teen years.

I could go on and on, including the performance Saturday afternoon, before a packed house upstairs which erupted spontaneously into a standing Ovation, but I won't. You see, this was MY fantasy camp. These guys were MY heroes, the guys who made me want to practice until I could play like that; to someday wear that Sunriser uniform (that waited until I shed Uncle Sam's unform, but I got there) and play those incredible Sasso charts.

Was it perfect? Nah... it never is you know. Mantle struck out over 100 times a year, in his best year. It wasn't perfect - maybe not even close. But it was god-###### good, and I hummed and buzzed the whole 5 hour trip back to Boston when it was done, anxious for the next shot in Bridgeport in April.

Is this camp for everyone? Nope. Not even close. In fact I hope that a whole lot of people don't show up during the next 2 months. I mean, we had enough to tear the place up, maybe more than enough. It's on YouTube now and in the DC Forums. Do I want to share this? No way brother. Except maybe with a few who would appreciate it. Guys like John Kelley or John Griffin, my baritone mates in 1975. I'm sure there's a few more, but dear God - not everyone!!! Please... this was a blast, without blasting. This was special. It's not for everyone. Just folks who have carried that Sunriser name in their hearts all these years.

Picture a fantasy camp with Mantle, Mays, Koufax... if they still had their power, their speed, their stuff. Then picture playing with these guys, the 1966 Sunrisers. They still have theirs.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow. :smile: I hope you don't mind if I post a link to this post on the Sun alum forum.

and while you are at it - submit the piece to the Pullitzer Prize commission.

Beautifully written - conveys great emotion and a description of what it was like to be involved.

The best of Drum Corps is on display in your words Ray!

you motivated me to take out the King K90 and send the family dog into hiding!

well said Ray................ :smile:

A couple of years before Mickey Mantle's death from a rejected liver transplant, a reporter asked the Mick what his prodigious talents would demand in the new era where every ball player was a multi-millionaire. "Oh, I guess about a million or so" said Mickey. The reporter was stunned. Here was one of the greatest power hitters of all times saying that he would be worth only $1,000,000 on the open market. He quizzed Mick, nudging him to admit that his talents would make him worth much more. Mickey responded with his chararcteristic tongue in cheek delivery, "Nah... a million's about right. I mean I'm almost 58 years old and I've had this liver transplant and all. I'm not sure I'd get much more than that."

Picture a fantasy camp with one of your boyhood (or girlhood) heroes. Picture playing catch with The Mick, or Willie, or Duke. Picture standing in the box and swinging at pitches from Koufax, Podres, Ford, Spahn, or Gibson... but at their best! Yeah, I know...it's a dream, right?

Well I had an experience pretty much like that this weekend. I was invited to play contra with a Reunion Ensemble of my old corps, the Long Island Sunrisers. But this wasn't my Sunrisers, the guys and girls from the mid- 70s, this was the Sunrisers of my youth, my musical heroes. Yeah, okay... not all of them. I would have killed to stand in a line with Bill Hightower and listen to him wail on a baritone, and remember the days I used to play along with recordings of his solos on "Sing, Sing, Sing", "It's a Pity to Say Good Night", or "Tin Roof Blues.' Not this time though. But pretty close. The big guys were there - Dorritie, Deliberto, Murphy, Buglino, Arietano, and more.

I was pretty psyched up getting ready for the big day. Then the weather came - 60 mph winds on Thursday night, turning into snow right into Friday. The Friday night rehearsal in Brooklyn that I needed so much canceled, flights to NY's JFK canceled in bunches. I saw my fantasy camp turning into simply a fantasy. My wife, seeing how bummed I was on Friday night said, "We'll drive down and back. It'll be fine." That was all the permission I needed. Next morning I loaded up the car with a baritone, a trombone, a suitcase... I was pretty sure I had it all. Oh whoops, except for my blue suit and tie, and my music. Sheesh.

When we pulled into the parking lot at the VFW, who was standing in the HP parking spot ready to guide us in? Frank Dorrite, arguably the greatest soprano in the history of the activity - at least back then. That's when the Mantle story came into my mind. I mean, how good could these guys be at 60? I practice my trombone every day and I suspect I'm a dim reflection of what I could do in the '70s. What did these guys have left in the tank? Was this going to be like a fantasy camp with Johnny Pesky, now in his late '80s?

I got all my stuff inside, collected the ancient Olds Ultratone 1 valve contra-bass and got in line, not quite sure what to expect. There were some changes to be sure. Bob Murphy, once my paradigm for what a soprano should sound like, with a big, clear, perfectly centered tone, was now playing baritone. Most of the guys were as grey as I, if not moreso. I was ready for the let down. Then they began to play...

If I closed my eyes during "The Joker" I could have seen the cadet jackets with blue and orange trim. It just sounded right. Then we played through Rock-a-bye, with Frank Dorritie playing the opening strains and Deliberto joining in in the middle of the 2nd phrase. I'd listened to this piece a thousand times as a kid, sometimes walking to Mitchell Field from Merrick, a cold 5 mile hike but well worth the effort. Now, in this dingy basement of a VFW hall in its final days, the music rang as clear and beautiful as it had 44 years earlier. Could it really be 44 years? My eyes said, "yeah - easily" but my ears? My ears had trouble being convinced that these guys were no longer the 18 and 21 year old giants of my teen years.

I could go on and on, including the performance Saturday afternoon, before a packed house upstairs which erupted spontaneously into a standing Ovation, but I won't. You see, this was MY fantasy camp. These guys were MY heroes, the guys who made me want to practice until I could play like that; to someday wear that Sunriser uniform (that waited until I shed Uncle Sam's unform, but I got there) and play those incredible Sasso charts.

Was it perfect? Nah... it never is you know. Mantle struck out over 100 times a year, in his best year. It wasn't perfect - maybe not even close. But it was god-###### good, and I hummed and buzzed the whole 5 hour trip back to Boston when it was done, anxious for the next shot in Bridgeport in April.

Is this camp for everyone? Nope. Not even close. In fact I hope that a whole lot of people don't show up during the next 2 months. I mean, we had enough to tear the place up, maybe more than enough. It's on YouTube now and in the DC Forums. Do I want to share this? No way brother. Except maybe with a few who would appreciate it. Guys like John Kelley or John Griffin, my baritone mates in 1975. I'm sure there's a few more, but dear God - not everyone!!! Please... this was a blast, without blasting. This was special. It's not for everyone. Just folks who have carried that Sunriser name in their hearts all these years.

Picture a fantasy camp with Mantle, Mays, Koufax... if they still had their power, their speed, their stuff. Then picture playing with these guys, the 1966 Sunrisers. They still have theirs.

It certainly was a missed opportunity for those of us who did not attend (Kicking self in behind).

Ray great article!

It certainly was a missed opportunity for those of us who did not attend (Kicking self in behind).

Ray great article!

So true, so true, it was a great article. I marched with a lot of those guys myself, and saw the video.

They of course brought honor to the Sunrisers. You'll excuse me now, while I kick myself in the behind, also

for not being there.

AMEN!! :smile:

Thanks Ray, for putting it into words... :smile:

As I told the guys (and gal *Meiko*) I had the honor of speaking to Saturday after the performance. More than once you almost had Donna crying...

I was way ahead of her...

Maybe next year we could coax Mr Hightower into playing with the group.Would'nt that be a worth a price of admission.

Maybe next year we could coax Mr Hightower into playing with the group.Would'nt that be a worth a price of admission.

I'd get him to sign my trombone... if I could work up the nerve to talk to him!!!

BTW for those of you who are virtually kicking yourselves - third week in April in Bridgeport - go to the Alumni site (sunrisersalumni.org) and see the practice schedule - but not everyone - the ones who should know who you are.

Gary Williams - you out there? Spiegler? China? (we were still looking for him right before we went upstairs). Fran? (Shudder) Stan?

You all know the ones I mean - from every Sun Dynasty. Contact Jack or Bob.

AMEN!! :smile:

Thanks Ray, for putting it into words... :smile:

As I told the guys (and gal *Meiko*) I had the honor of speaking to Saturday after the performance. More than once you almost had Donna crying...

I was way ahead of her...

TW,

Donna may have been crying because of that shirt you wore... not even Fran after one of his 3 day binges before DCA Championships...

####, son...