Inner city drum corps

Using indoor drumlines, color guards, and dance teams are a great way to get started on the noble ventures being discussed in this thread. The best part is that there's already an existing structure for performance and competition in the form of the dozens of local competitive indoor circuits found nationwide.

There's absolutely no reason to start with some "national association" (not a shot at Terri, she was being facetious). In our local indoor circuit, there are a couple of units that are doing exactly what people are talking about here, both on the percussion and guard/dance sides of things, and they are able to do it in a fiscally responsible way. Once fantastic example is the Imperial Dynasty organization in Wilmington, DE (http://imperialdynasty.org/).

DCI and the existing World Class corps aren't grassroots community organizations, at least not anymore. And that's ok. Frankly, if you folks are serious about using drum corps as a way to help "get kids off the streets", DCI and DCA should be the furthest thing from your minds, as should competition. Start at the ground up and build the organization the right way. Worry about the national and competitive sides later.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's the thing though: a lot of us get that initial "yeah, this is important! Let's do it!" feeling, but then something gets in our way. What would it take to create a skeleton organizational model that people could put into place in various communities? I'm thinking things like bylaws, nonprofit status, etc.

In other words, instead of a lot of independent start ups, what about a "Big Brothers and Sisters" kind of approach? Create an over-arching organization - or work within an existing one? Hmmm.... my wheels are turning... (but where will I find the time... ugh!)

I think this is where DCI could help get something started. There's the brand already associated with excellence, and if DCI is serious about youth and the arts and building community ties (one reason for the move to Indy, if I'm not mistaken), this would be a great opportunity for them to show some leadership and win back some fans.

A couple people could get with DCI and "create an over-arching organization" like TerriTroop was talking about. Then anyone with passion would have a support system to turn to when things started getting tough during the process!!!!

Using indoor drumlines, color guards, and dance teams are a great way to get started on the noble ventures being discussed in this thread. The best part is that there's already an existing structure for performance and competition in the form of the dozens of local competitive indoor circuits found nationwide.

There's absolutely no reason to start with some "national association" (not a shot at Terri, she was being facetious). In our local indoor circuit, there are a couple of units that are doing exactly what people are talking about here, both on the percussion and guard/dance sides of things, and they are able to do it in a fiscally responsible way. Once fantastic example is the Imperial Dynasty organization in Wilmington, DE (http://imperialdynasty.org/).

DCI and the existing World Class corps aren't grassroots community organizations, at least not anymore. And that's ok. Frankly, if you folks are serious about using drum corps as a way to help "get kids off the streets", DCI and DCA should be the furthest thing from your minds, as should competition. Start at the ground up and build the organization the right way. Worry about the national and competitive sides later.

Do you think it would be inappropriate for DCI or DCA to become involved in an initiative like this? Are they so far gone from traditional drum corps roots that there wouldn't be any value or advantage for them to support this kind of venture?

Just wondering what you think, because I agree that organizations should be built from the ground up to have real, lasting meaning in that community. However, wouldn't it be cool to have that PLUS a large, well organized entity that offers support, opportunities and resources when you needed it?

Do you think it would be inappropriate for DCI or DCA to become involved in an initiative like this? Are they so far gone from traditional drum corps roots that there wouldn't be any value or advantage for them to support this kind of venture?

Just wondering what you think, because I agree that organizations should be built from the ground up to have real, lasting meaning in that community. However, wouldn't it be cool to have that PLUS a large, well organized entity that offers support, opportunities and resources when you needed it?

I think it would be a terrible idea for DCI to become involved on a national level. There are already existing local indoor circuits all over the country that can do a better job (and already do). Anything DCI would do on a national level would be lip-service. If individual corps want to get involved in their home areas, great.

DCI and DCA are busy enough administering their own circuits, and championing other causes. What, exactly would you have them do in this case?

I think it would be a terrible idea for DCI to become involved on a national level. There are already existing local indoor circuits all over the country that can do a better job (and already do). Anything DCI would do on a national level would be lip-service. If individual corps want to get involved in their home areas, great.

DCI and DCA are busy enough administering their own circuits, and championing other causes. What, exactly would you have them do in this case?

Well, here are a couple ideas:

- On the DCI website, host a development section dedicated to helping people/organizations start their own corps and indoor groups in low socio-economic status areas.

- Host an online forum and resource center for new startup corps to get help or direction. Have an interactive map of the US where others can see what other cities and organizations are doing.

- Invite local corps near DCI shows to come and perform in exhibition and announce after a performance what the corps is all about and encourage the locals to support said corps.

- Organize joint stand-still performances with DCI corps and inner city corps. Cool opportunity for those kids!

You're right that DCI shouldn't take on a huge project like this. They could, however, encourage and help those who may not otherwise have the resources. What would that cost?

lol...

You know, I think DCP could do what I describe, now that I think about it! May be more appropriate, too.

I really don't see becoming a DCI level drum corps as the end all of any venture. The end all should be the kids having a postive learning experience. They can do that without DCI.

What does DCI offer- competition, I beleive thats about it. Being able to put yourself against some of the best marcher and musicians in the country.

The cons - Cost. More orginazations have died on the vine and in the basket trying to become a DCI unit.

Having a unit being able to parade & play with competence is also rewarding. Being able to perform in front of an audience wether its a concert, indoor performance or some type of sporting event.

If I had a unit I would set something up like this; Home Concert, Travel to Philadelphia and do a basketball game. Travel to DC and do a basketball game, spend a day sight seeing. Travel to Carolina and do another basketball game. spend a day sight seeing. Along the way do an indoor comp or two, head to Florida to Disney, If you parade they let you in free.

How many inner city youth would have gotten the chance to do all of that. With DCI its' travel, practice, play...travel, practice, play. Travel, practcve, play. Of the 39 cities and 18 states i was in with the Crossmen I only remember stadiums and practice fields.

Until DCI has a more regional offering I don't think it would be feasble for what we have been talking about

I can see how a national organization would be useful. Yes, there are local indoor circuits in some places in the country. Everywhere there isn't one, however, provides both an opportunity to build one and a need for information on how to go about doing it. I would love to be able to get information from a national organization that specializes in exactly that process of building a local indoor circuit, particularly dealing with poor, urban areas.

The circuits that you mention--do you have a list of all of them? Is there any place to find such a list? Do the folks who run those programs offer information to other people interested in building similar programs? Is there any way to get information and advice short of trying to find somebody involved with one willing to spend some time talking?

A national organization can provide information and contacts. That would be highly useful.

I'm not looking to build a DCI corps here. We'll offer places for kids in our corps, certainly, though that's also not the primary purpose (we hope the visibility afforded us with sponsoring/running the junior events helps us recruit parents and other adults). We do think the audience for the local circuit would boost the audience for any shows we'd host with DCI and DCA corps, though--and that's the link from the local circuit to DCI/DCA.

I come from a poor family. Music scholarships helped put me through college. Summer tours helped show me the world outside my hometown. I figure helping other poor kids see life outside the ghetto and an avenue to use to help escape from it is a good thing.

I can see how a national organization would be useful. Yes, there are local indoor circuits in some places in the country. Everywhere there isn't one, however, provides both an opportunity to build one and a need for information on how to go about doing it. I would love to be able to get information from a national organization that specializes in exactly that process of building a local indoor circuit, particularly dealing with poor, urban areas.

Well, WGI is the national association, and it's really just an analog to DCI, though it has a lot more educational resources and information to help start a unit. As for starting a circuit, there's probably at least one in your area now. Google is your friend there.

The circuits that you mention--do you have a list of all of them? Is there any place to find such a list? Do the folks who run those programs offer information to other people interested in building similar programs? Is there any way to get information and advice short of trying to find somebody involved with one willing to spend some time talking?

Google is your friend there. In my local area there are several circuits to choose from. The one I compete in with my group has been extremely helpful with new guards and drumlines.

A national organization can provide information and contacts. That would be highly useful.

Well, try wgi.org, but again, it's really only a national association for the competitive aspect of things.

This is all happening now. You just have to find out what's in your area or where you're willing to go.

Go here--

http://cdraferrara.tripod.com/

if you contact these folks just ask about other drum lines and small corps that want to be a part of them--there's more than what's on the web site.

While all of the options suggested are great, I do think this is about more than just performance. Part of what I would like to see in place is well-trained mentors for members, professional development for instructional staff that focuses on at-risk youth and social issues, things of that nature. In my dream world I'd ask people with huge amounts of talent and background in the marching arts to come and do this as a volunteer. Surely there are people who would be willing to do this in some of our urban centers.

I like the idea of getting organizations like SDCA, DCA, DCI, WGI involved. Those names as endorsers of this at-risk youth activity could help promote the idea as well as possibly secure funding from major music corporations.

Kamarag: I honestly wasn't being facetious, and here's why: I don't think the existing organizations have the kind of adult education programs in place that I think are needed to support an at-risk youth music association. (if I'm wrong, then great!) But if they're willing to help foot the bill for something like this and allow a subsidiary organization to blossom under their umbrella, then I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Basically this kind of organization is going to need money, professional and personal support from qualified volunteers, and space. There will be no DVD sales, no souvies, etc. At least not at first. This is purely an outreach program idea with no monetary benefit to anyone. In a culture of "what's in it for me?", this is a hard idea to sell.