George Bonfiglio

This is a sad day. From the first time I saw 27th in 1969 I was a fan. Mr. Bonfiglio's leadership with the 27th Lancers, and with DCI, made drum corps in the 1970's and 1980's exciting. I guess we know we are getting old when we start to lose our heroes from our childhood. My condolences to his family and the 27th Lancers.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a sad day. From the first time I saw 27th in 1969 I was a fan. Mr. Bonfiglio's leadership with the 27th Lancers, and with DCI, made drum corps in the 1970's and 1980's exciting. I guess we know we are getting old when we start to lose our heroes from our childhood. My condolences to his family and the 27th Lancers.

John how true... to be even clearer... when the generation before yours is gone, you suddenly realize there is nothing between you and the inevitable... you're next...

George Bonfiglio was 10 years ahead of Seawright and Royer. He was more closely associated with Jim Jones. He was in the middle (decision wise) of everything that happened in the 60's culminating in the formation of the combine in 1971... I'm not sure anyone realizes how large and important his contribution was to the directions chosen... that resulted in the formation of DCI.

I guess we know we are getting old when we start to lose our heroes from our childhood.

I've been reading and on the phone all day! This may be one of the most profound statements of all!

Thank You from ALL of the members of the immediate and extended family of George, B.!

Thank You John! It's been too long since we last saw each other and shared laughs! Weddings & Wakes are not the best way for anyone to keep in touch....

Thanks Again!

Like many others in our activity, I did not know George Bonfiglio personally, but I certainly knew his name and reputation, and of course his 27th Lancers. We are all better for having had him as one of us, and we all share the loss of yet another giant of our drum corps fraternity.

My sincere condolences to Mr. Bonfiglio's family as well as to all who marched in his corps, both the Reveries and the Lancers on the loss of your patriarch.

I never had the pleasure of meeting George Bonfiglio, but I certainly know his reputation and his contributions to drum corps and DCI.

However, after having read some of the posts about him, "my second dad" "one of the most important people in my life" and others,

I would say that his legacy is not with DCI or drum corps in general, but in all of the individuals whose lives he touched.

And that, is a legacy that any man should be proud to leave behind.

I am so sorry to hear the news. I was very fortunate to get to know him personally when I would go to 27th's rehearsals when I was in Berklee in the 70's. What a great leader....one of a kind...a person who not only helped but inspired. He and Jim Wedge played a huge role in my drum corps career. I will always be indebted to him. You were always family to him. If you want to see a legacy....check out those that have marched or taught there. His lessons will live on in all of us and who we have taught.

Our thoughts and prayers to the Bonafiglio Family

Steve and Darlene Cooley

I think he was of the last ones left from the era. I remember meeting him as a young boy when my Dad drove me to Revere for a 27 practice..... 13, yikes... but he wlecomed me, but my DAD said..no more trips to Revere tll you get a car

Anyway, if you get a chance check out the tribte Bridgemen Alumni did to 27.... talk about emotionall!!

God Bless you George and THANKS for everything you did and being a GREAT Visionary

Terry, it's sad we touch base on a topic like the passing of a great man. Some people, like me, have stated they never met Mr. Bonfiglio and others have stated they had the honor of knowing the man. All I can add is his contributions to our activity touched not only the people in his corps, but other corps and people in the stands. What a wonderful legacy to leave.

I've been pretty much a lifelong Blue Devils fan, but I kinda wish the 27th Lancers had been able to find those extra few tenths they needed to beat the Devils and take the DCI title in 1980.

As it turned out, that was the last, best chance the Lancers had at winning the championship. It would have been nice for Mr. Bonfiglio to win one, given his tremendous contributions to the drum corps activity.

RIP.

Fran