Pioneer drum corps

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if its free

There is no one named "Howdy" on staff at Pioneer. I think that I know who are talking about, and he is not teaching the corps this year. We at Pioneer do however wish him well in his endeavors wherever they may take him.

I believe that conceptually, we have a product that can lend to some more visual creativity, and a great drill writer as well. We recently had a design meeting and Michael Cesario added his expertise on colors and uniform changes, flag designs and much more concerning coordiantion of effects from every area. We will have new uniform tops and guard uniforms by the beginning of the summer as well. We rae aware of the value of a good working color guard and we are doing what we can to assure that. We are still looking to boost the color guard membership numbers.

Donny

Edited by donnymusic

• 2 weeks later...

Our hornline numbers over the past few years have been:

2008 - 36 horns

2009 - 42 horns

For us to have 56 horns this season would be tremendous. That is 20 more than we had just 2 years ago!

I think not getting last place in 2009 really helped us retain more vets and recruit more horn players.

I know that Pioneer has a new guard caption head in 2010, which should help us a great deal in recruiting and getting vets back. Hopefully, we can get a much bigger (and stronger) guard this year.

Since I live in Wyoming, I have not made it to a camp yet this year. I can't wait to hear the music live (I've listened to the MP3 recording on our web-site many, many times). And, I am very excited to start learning drill and bring the show to life!

Edited by MrWyoming

Our hornline numbers over the past few years have been:

2008 - 36 horns

2009 - 42 horns

For us to have 56 horns this season would be tremendous. That is 20 more than we had just 2 years ago!

I think not getting last place in 2009 really helped us retain more vets and recruit more horn players.

I know that Pioneer has a new guard caption head in 2010, which should help us a great deal in recruiting and getting vets back. Hopefully, we can get a much bigger (and stronger) guard this year.

Since I live in Wyoming, I have not made it to a camp yet this year. I can't wait to hear the music live (I've listened to the MP3 recording on our web-site many, many times). And, I am very excited to start learning drill and bring the show to life!

Do you know how big Pioneer's hornline used to be? Like more than 56?

BTW, I enjoyed the 2008 show. It was very solid!

I believe Pioneer had 60+ horns for a few years at the end of the '90s, and then around '01 or '02 the numbers started to drop (I heard a lot of people aged-out after they made semi-finals in '01). Donny would probably know more details.

Thanks for the comment about '08.

Edited by MrWyoming

Pioneer had their biggest corps when they were Div 2. Around 1996-97 I think were the biggest corps they had. 1998 was close but when the corps made semis in 1999- 2000, the corps was actually smaller than it has been the last few years. There were just a lot of vets that stayed. 28 brass in 1999, 34 in 2000. Just good kids that worked really hard, good staff, and smart design.

Our hope for 56 brass is very realistic right now...more vets returned than previous years. We are working hard on the guard thing I will assure you. We will see you soon Steven!

Donny

Edited by donnymusic

I believe Pioneer had 60+ horns for a few years at the end of the '90s, and then around '01 or '02 the numbers started to drop (I heard a lot of people aged-out after they made semi-finals in '01). Donny would probably know more details.

Thanks for the comment about '08.

Personally, "Irish in Your Face" was my favorite Pioneer show. IIRC that was 97, and they had ~ 60 brass.

Personally, "Irish in Your Face" was my favorite Pioneer show. IIRC that was 97, and they had ~ 60 brass.

Actually, "Irish in Your Face" was 1998, and you're pretty spot on with the numbers for that year. Our biggest horn line was technically 1997, which was "Riverdance". That year at times we had up to the mid 60's as far as brass players go, but several injuries bumped the numbers down a bit.

Actually, "Irish in Your Face" was 1998, and you're pretty spot on with the numbers for that year. Our biggest horn line was technically 1997, which was "Riverdance". That year at times we had up to the mid 60's as far as brass players go, but several injuries bumped the numbers down a bit.

That's right; my bad. I remember seeing them in Champaign IL. Trooped the stand w/ Gary Owen. And had the cool 27-Lancer-esque uniforms.

Edited by IllianaLancerContra