1954(?) Contest Rules

This was a Xeroxed sheet I found under another Xeroxed sheet (hand marked) 1954 Middletown, PA that had scores. Both sheets appear to be from a show program and I will asume (###-u-me) they went together and 1954 is the correct year.

COMPETITION RULES

1. TIME AND PLACE - These contest shall be held at 8:00 P.M. on a date and at a location to be chosen by the host corps. The contest field shall be marked off in the shape of a football field ( 50 x 100 yds) with outside lines marked.

2. SUPERVISION - All contest shall be under the supervision of the host corps.

3. MEETIGS OF REPRESENTATIVES - Selection of postion shall take place at a meeting of one representative of each corps at 7:00 P.M. The first corps ahll be on the inspection line at 7:45 P.M., and each corps thereafter shall be on the inspection line fifteen minutes after the preceding corps.

4. JUDGES - Eight judges shall be provided and shall consist of the following: One Inspection Judge, one Cadence Judge, Two Marching and Maneuvering Judges, two Playing Ability Judges, One Bugling and One Drumming, and Two General Effect Judges. Each Judge shall be specifically qualified to judge that part of the contest for which he has been selected. Judges at no time shall approach closer thatn thirty feet to a competing corps which is in motion. judges shall have absolute privacy during the contest, and each judge shall render a seperate report. When more than one judge is employed on the same division, the average of the scores will be the gross earned. The Inspecting Judge shall not be permitted to touch personnel during inspection.

5. TIMEKEEPERS - There shall be two timekeepers who shall be equipped with stop watches and also with revolvers and blank cartridges.

6. POINTS - Corps will be judged on the following points:

1. Inspection - 10 points

2. Marching and Maneuvering - 30 points

a. Intervals, Distances, Files and Ranks (10)

b. In Step and Execution (10)

c. Precision and Military Bearing (10)

3. Drummin - 20 points

a. Position (5)

b. Attack and Execution (5)

c. Ensemble, Expression and Rhythm (5)

d. Repertoire (5)

4. Bugles - 20 points

a. Position and Execution (5)

b. Ensemble and Rhythm (5)

c. Attack and Expression (5)

d. Repertoire (5)

5. General Effect - 10 points

6. Cadence - 10 points

7. CADENCE - Corps shall march at a cadence of 126 to 134 steps per minute. Cadence will be checked five times. Each error shall be penalized at the rate of two-tenth point.

8. EQUIPMENT - The musical equipment of corps during contest shall be limited to drums, cymbals. bell lyres and bugles. The bugle may be with or without valve. The use of slide work shall be optional.

9. COLORS and STANDARDS - Any corps may use its colors and standards in the contest. The colors and the color guard may be used in presentation and other maneuvers, but when not participating in the maneuvers, shall station itself and rejoin the corps in leaving the field.

10. CONDUCT OF CORPS - Each corps shall be on the field not less than thirteen nor more than fifteen minutes. Each corps shall use the rules which have been set up by their sponsoring organization in regard to time in motion and in halt. A warning gun will be fired and a flag will be waved at the expiratin of fourteen minutes. A stop of thirty seconds or less in executing a maneuver will not be excluded from time in motion. A stop begins when the last man of the corps proper comes to a halt, and ends when the first man leaves a halt. Each corps shall enter the field over the starting line at one end of the field, and shall leave the field over the finish line at the opposite end of the field. The saluting stand shall be placed in the center of that side of the field which is to the right of the starting line. Time and judging will start for a corps with the first step of a member of the corps proper or with the first note of music. Time will stop for the corps when either the first or last man of the corps proper crosses the finish line, whichever may be necessary to satisfy the time requirements. If the corps uses its colors, the corps must leave the field immediately behind or with the colors.

No member of a corps in concert may play a cadenza or solo more than thirty seconds in length. Each corps must execute at least four different maneuvers and play at least three pieces, two of which must be played while marching.

PENALITIES - Tardiness in reporting or in making the contest apperance shall cause the corps so offending to be penalized two points and to be placed on the last of the entry list. A corps violating any time requirements for which no specific penalty is provded shall be penalized one point for each thirty seconds or fraction therof. A corps violating any rule, or part of a rule, for which no specific penalty is provded, shall be penalized one point for each violation.

11. Each corps shall consist of at least twenty-four (24) playing members who shall have reached their sixteenth birthday by the date of the first competition of the year.

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

This is great stuff... historically...

now remember... a set of rules like this would be developed by EACH sponsor and sent to the corps they invite to their show... were they always the same? NO! Deal with it!

We did... welcome DCA and DCI...

I love the minimum number - like that was the scurge of the 2000's and here it is in 1954...

and talk about creativity... gotta keep that cadence steady - must be 126 to 134BPM no matter what... lol

I do like the rule that a judge can get no closer than 30 feet from a performer... that would get the drum judges the heck out of those beautiful forms...

Too bad I have no idea who sponsored this show. Interesting to me that it was about an even mix of VFW and AL corps and looks like all corps in the area were there. Don't remember seeing Middletown ever having a corps so best guess sponsor was a fire company or service group. Never saw the program this came from so don't even know where the show was held. Maybe the local High School which could not have been that big back then and mid 50s lot of small school districts (including mine) were combining. Or maybe even some field on the Olmstead Air Force Base, now Harrisburg International Airport.

Big things I noticed were:

1) that 30 feet away Tom mentioned

2) bell lyres - wonder if glocks like Scout House or bugles bells Gary M has at home

3) "have reached their 16th birthday" so much for Seniors corps were always for older folks

LOL, one of the current Lancers was in this show.... Will have to give him a copy and ask for his input.

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

you're right... the 16th birthday is a bit of a surprise and a sure fire sign that it was an independent show, not VFW or AL

For those who are wondering about the bells... (glocks or whatever you wish to call them) they were carried by most well into the 50's...

I'm 63 years old - granted I started young, but we're not talking the dark ages here - but my all aged first corps (Oswego Pathfinders VFW Post 2320) had both glockenspiels and - heaven forbid and alan smythe forgive me - a BATON twirler... Last Saturday I was in Oswego and ran into Mary lincoln Archer in the parking lot of a plaza - SHE was a baton twirler in that corps and became color guard captain later in the 50's. Her husband Al was a lead sop...

and I do mean all aged... you had a grade school kid like me marching next to Tony Giambo who was already well into his 70's... He was also my first horn instructor...

you're right... the 16th birthday is a bit of a surprise and a sure fire sign that it was an independent show, not VFW or AL

For those who are wondering about the bells... (glocks or whatever you wish to call them) they were carried by most well into the 50's...

I'm 63 years old - granted I started young, but we're not talking the dark ages here - but my all aged first corps (Oswego Pathfinders VFW Post 2320) had both glockenspiels and - heaven forbid and alan smythe forgive me - a BATON twirler... Last Saturday I was in Oswego and ran into Mary lincoln Archer in the parking lot of a plaza - SHE was a baton twirler in that corps and became color guard captain later in the 50's. Her husband Al was a lead sop...

and I do mean all aged... you had a grade school kid like me marching next to Tony Giambo who was already well into his 70's... He was also my first horn instructor...

That is very cool stuff Tom, do you know if they were chromatic glocks?

This was a Xeroxed sheet I found under another Xeroxed sheet (hand marked) 1954 Middletown, PA that had scores. Both sheets appear to be from a show program and I will asume (###-u-me) they went together and 1954 is the correct year.

COMPETITION RULES

1. TIME AND PLACE - These contest shall be held at 8:00 P.M. on a date and at a location to be chosen by the host corps. The contest field shall be marked off in the shape of a football field ( 50 x 100 yds) with outside lines marked.

3. MEETIGS OF REPRESENTATIVES - Selection of postion shall take place at a meeting of one representative of each corps at 7:00 P.M. The first corps ahll be on the inspection line at 7:45 P.M., and each corps thereafter shall be on the inspection line fifteen minutes after the preceding corps.

4. JUDGES - Eight judges shall be provided and shall consist of the following: One Inspection Judge, one Cadence Judge, Two Marching and Maneuvering Judges, two Playing Ability Judges, One Bugling and One Drumming, and Two General Effect Judges. Each Judge shall be specifically qualified to judge that part of the contest for which he has been selected. Judges at no time shall approach closer thatn thirty feet to a competing corps which is in motion. judges shall have absolute privacy during the contest, and each judge shall render a seperate report. When more than one judge is employed on the same division, the average of the scores will be the gross earned. The Inspecting Judge shall not be permitted to touch personnel during inspection.

5. TIMEKEEPERS - There shall be two timekeepers who shall be equipped with stop watches and also with revolvers and blank cartridges.

3. Drummin - 20 points

a. Position (5)

d. Repertoire (5)

4. Bugles - 20 points

d. Repertoire (5)

6. Cadence - 10 points

7. CADENCE - Corps shall march at a cadence of 126 to 134 steps per minute. Cadence will be checked five times. Each error shall be penalized at the rate of two-tenth point.

8. EQUIPMENT - The musical equipment of corps during contest shall be limited to drums, cymbals. bell lyres and bugles. The bugle may be with or without valve. The use of slide work shall be optional.

9. COLORS and STANDARDS - Any corps may use its colors and standards in the contest. The colors and the color guard may be used in presentation and other maneuvers, but when not participating in the maneuvers, shall station itself and rejoin the corps in leaving the field.

10. CONDUCT OF CORPS - Each corps shall be on the field not less than thirteen nor more than fifteen minutes. Each corps shall use the rules which have been set up by their sponsoring organization in regard to time in motion and in halt. A warning gun will be fired and a flag will be waved at the expiratin of fourteen minutes. A stop of thirty seconds or less in executing a maneuver will not be excluded from time in motion. A stop begins when the last man of the corps proper comes to a halt, and ends when the first man leaves a halt. Each corps shall enter the field over the starting line at one end of the field, and shall leave the field over the finish line at the opposite end of the field. The saluting stand shall be placed in the center of that side of the field which is to the right of the starting line. Time and judging will start for a corps with the first step of a member of the corps proper or with the first note of music. Time will stop for the corps when either the first or last man of the corps proper crosses the finish line, whichever may be necessary to satisfy the time requirements. If the corps uses its colors, the corps must leave the field immediately behind or with the colors.

No member of a corps in concert may play a cadenza or solo more than thirty seconds in length. Each corps must execute at least four different maneuvers and play at least three pieces, two of which must be played while marching.

PENALITIES - Tardiness in reporting or in making the contest apperance shall cause the corps so offending to be penalized two points and to be placed on the last of the entry list. A corps violating any time requirements for which no specific penalty is provded shall be penalized one point for each thirty seconds or fraction therof. A corps violating any rule, or part of a rule, for which no specific penalty is provded, shall be penalized one point for each violation.

11. Each corps shall consist of at least twenty-four (24) playing members who shall have reached their sixteenth birthday by the date of the first competition of the year.

This is cool!

after reading this, and Tom's post,.............I know I have a couple real old programs that list the rules............I'm gonna see how they line up/differ,...........

COMPETITION RULES

3. Drummin - 20 points

a. Position (5)

d. Repertoire (5)

4. Bugles - 20 points

d. Repertoire (5)

6. Cadence - 10 points

WOW 10 points for inspection. if you didn't bother to clean up you could get killed. this is great stuff.

Here's the link to the scores that I think are related to the rules....

Kicker is Privateers received a 5 pt penalty for having 5 Chocolatiers in the ranks... local rules??

http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/inde...p;#entry2771465

Question on "The Inspecting Judge shall not be permitted to touch personnel during inspection". Did judges just look at the equipment as the members held them or did the judges have the members hold the equipment up for view? Or is this a rule that was different in AL/VFW.

Here's the link to the scores that I think are related to the rules....

Kicker is Privateers received a 5 pt penalty for having 5 Chocolatiers in the ranks... local rules??

http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/inde...p;#entry2771465

Question on "The Inspecting Judge shall not be permitted to touch personnel during inspection". Did judges just look at the equipment as the members held them or did the judges have the members hold the equipment up for view? Or is this a rule that was different in AL/VFW.

at least in my day you held up your eguipment for thr judge. if he asked you to give him a different view the drum major gave you the order to do so. ralph silverbrand did a lot of A.L. inspections. and jim in 1969 & 1972 i got ticked. you should have seen the look i got from bruni. if looks could kill i would have been dead.