Some questions to members of the Cadets

I didn't think the questions were silly. Some of the responses were pretty good too.

I'm clairvoyant. So I knew this would be your reaction.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1) Can you name a single Corps where the camp tryouts prospects knew when they signed up for that Corps in the offseason what " the direction the Corps was going to take the following season " regarding the show ?
When I joined, I knew the direction we were headed. I LOVED the 2005 show, and I knew that the Cadets had a history of pushing the limits of the activity, so I was comfortable with it.

The Cadets?

The Cadets?

The Cadets have pivoted a lot over the years from one year to the next. They are not formula driven. They are unpredictable. They have gone in a 180 degree turn from one year to the next about as well as any Corps out there. If you knew in Nov. what direction The Cadets Corps would take come June .... and what the reaction was going to be to the show..... then my hats off to you. But my impressions of The Cadets from year to year, is that of mostly unpredictability in their type of show design. Sometimes cutting edge progressive, sometimes retro, sometimes patriotic, sometimes classic, sometimes Broadway, Bernstein, etc and so forth... not one of predictability..... oh well.

Edited by BRASSO

Did you ever really care about all that stuff, or did you just want to be the best your could be?!

There is a quote from Marc Sylvester that sums up how I felt about everything. "It's not about scores or who you are going to beat - it's about whether you are going to be the greatest Cadet corps of all time. Whether you will have the performances of '83 or '93, whether you will have the proficency of '85 or '98 or the passion of '89 or '87. Will you have the intensity of '92 and the tradition of '90 or will you be able to connect with the crowd like in 2000 or 2002. That's what is important now - not what some one else is doing, but whether you are going to choose to be legendary."

-Marc Sylvester

Hope this helps!

For Holy Name Shall Always Be

I wrote that quote down when Sully said it, we were in San Antonio and we had not beaten the Cavaliers yet. And think we all knew that we weren't going to beat them that night either, but we all knew we had a much larger goal in mind. I can't believe how far that quote has traveled. haha. I love it everytime though.

I loved every second of my Cadet experience for a variety of reasons, even the bad points. I joined the Cadets because I was a fan of them, I'm still a fan, and will always be, no matter what they do or have done. You don't get shows like '93, '00 or '05 without taking risks like '92, '99 and '04. The Cadets like to take risks and always have... when those risks pay off it's huge.

I don't think the Cadets placements of the last six years has anything to do with the "direction" of the corps but rather that other corps have started to figure out what the winning formula is for them.

If someone is joining the Cadets to win, then they are joining for the wrong reason. I love winning and am super competitive but it was rarely ever about that. Some of my favorite Cadets shows are some of the worst placements like '89, '91, '99 and as you can see by Sully's words it's never about winning, it's about the intensity, performance, proficency, passion and tradition. And somewhere along the lines trying to become truly legendary.

My private lesson teacher always used to say "Let them argue about your interpretation, not whether or not you had one". I'd rather be part of a corps that people remember vividly than one that people have a hard time trying to remember.

Ok don't laugh. I have two hobbies, DCI and NASCAR. In NACAR terms - The Cadets are the Jeff Gordon (4 time NASCAR champion) of DCI. Love Jeff or hate Jeff he gets the biggest response at driver introductions - boos included. Same can be said about The Cadets, love them or hate them they get a huge response from the crowd every time. I can remember in 2007 when they announced The Cadets in 2nd place the Rose Bowl went wild. I don't know if was because BD was going to win or The Cadets didn't win.

Another poster put it best on here, small risk small reward, great risk great reward. I don't always love The Cadets shows, but you gotta hand it to them ... come August their drill is clean and they are moving - guard work is impecable - brass and drums play a ton of notes.

Just like Jeff Gordon - boos and all - It's hard to beat a Champion!

Ok don't laugh. I have two hobbies, DCI and NASCAR. In NACAR terms - The Cadets are the Jeff Gordon (4 time NASCAR champion) of DCI. Love Jeff or hate Jeff he gets the biggest response at driver introductions - boos included. Same can be said about The Cadets, love them or hate them they get a huge response from the crowd every time. I can remember in 2007 when they announced The Cadets in 2nd place the Rose Bowl went wild. I don't know if was because BD was going to win or The Cadets didn't win.

Another poster put it best on here, small risk small reward, great risk great reward. I don't always love The Cadets shows, but you gotta hand it to them ... come August their drill is clean and they are moving - guard work is impecable - brass and drums play a ton of notes.

Just like Jeff Gordon - boos and all - It's hard to beat a Champion!

That is, he USED to get the biggest response at driver introductions, until Evernham left and Johnson/Knaus have taken over the sport. Hopefully he will win again this year!

I don't always love the Cadets shows. What I do love is the fact that they are willing to take a chance.

I remember the controversy when they started playing more serious literature again after a few years of more "entertaining" shows. Some of the loyal alumni and fans were angry....

I remember the negative outcry from some when they decided to do App Spring and use "SCV's music". They weren't disrespecting the Vanguard, just putting their own spin on it and most everyone loved it.

We all remember the controversy of a few years ago, with "The door".... and the characters.....

They push our limits, they take us to new places. If it weren't for people like that in our artform, we'd still be doing squads, symmetric and elevator drill, marching 7 foot flag poles and griping about whether or not "the bottle dance" really belonged because it wasn't "real drum corps".

I may not like it, sometimes I even hate it, but have the utmost respect for the orgainzation and the kids that march in it because they are learning that it's okay to "take a chance" as well. They "took a chance" on The Cadets and I bet they are better people for it.

I respect the Op's questions. These kind of questions need to be asked. These a fair and honest questions and it makes this discussion board more interesting. I would like to know how people thnk about alot of the corps they marched in during good and bad years.

And more importantly I love the repsonses of the marchers. Taking pride in what they do even when its not the most popular thing going. I didn't like the 2005-2007 shows but I got MAD respect for the members that marched and palyed the hell out of them.....