Glee and SCV Drumline

So I finally watched an episode of Glee on Fox.com and the first thing I noticed was the marching percussion scored when the show goes to commercial (there is probably a term for that, Seinfeld used the bass guitar and most shows use some sort of theme music). It sounded just like "Virtual Drumline", music writing sound software by the guys at Tapspace.

Well a quick search found that indeed the show uses the software. All of the drum sounds were recorded by the Santa Clara Vanguard drumline a few years back. From www.tapspace.com:"Virtual Drumline™ has made its mark as the industry standard for marching and concert percussion sounds. Composers, percussionists, studio musicians, and educators alike will discover a sonic onslaught of variety in Virtual Drumline, featuring the world champion percussion section of the Santa Clara Vanguard. Using Virtual Drumline along with your favorite music composition software will arm you with an enormous palette of percussive possibilities."

At the 9:23 mark on the Virtual Drumline information video Glee composers David Reeves, Tom Rarick and Erik Johnson are mentioned right alongside all of the corps composers using the software. Does anyone know if any of these fellas have drumcorps experience?

I'm pretty sure Murry Gusseck (current SCV Battery Caption Manager) is behind V Drumline. Does anyone have any fun anecdotes about Glee approaching him, or his reaction when he first found out? This has got to be the the closest DCI has gotten to mainstream media and I think it is way cool.

p.s. Forgive me if this topic has been addressed, but the 9 page Glee thread makes no mention of the SCV connection.

Tom Rarick? He's with the Bluecoats.

https://bluecoats.com/dci_staff_detail.asp?...23&sb=staff

He's a composer for Glee?!

At the 9:23 mark on the Virtual Drumline information video Glee composers David Reeves, Tom Rarick and Erik Johnson are mentioned right alongside all of the corps composers using the software. Does anyone know if any of these fellas have drumcorps experience?

I'm pretty sure Murry Gusseck (current SCV Battery Caption Manager) is behind V Drumline. Does anyone have any fun anecdotes about Glee approaching him, or his reaction when he first found out? This has got to be the the closest DCI has gotten to mainstream media and I think it is way cool.

p.s. Forgive me if this topic has been addressed, but the 9 page Glee thread makes no mention of the SCV connection.

I just watched the video and they are not listed as Glee composers. Every name is separate. They're just listed after Glee is listed.

As you mentioned, VDL is just a sound library- "live" samples, so to speak. Lots of times when you hear "drumlines" on things like the commercial breaks from sports games, tv shows, etc, it's a sampled sound, not an actual, recorded drumline.

That being said, I wouldn't actually say there's a "connection" between Glee and drum corps, or even SCV specifically, moreso than there's a connection anywhere else VDL is used. It also came out in the early to mid-2000s (somewhere between 2003 and 2005), so if you were to make staff connections, go with the staff from then, not now.

Either way, VDL is a fantastic program (as is Glee!), and it's cool that you guessed that's what you were hearing- I hadn't even thought that much about it :)

David Reeves- http://www.innovativepercussion.com/pages/.../bio.asp?id=239 (writes a lot now... did Troop's drum book in 2009, did the book for the indoor line I was in in 2008, etc.)

Tom Rarick- http://www.innovativepercussion.com/pages/.../bio.asp?id=236

Erik Johnson- http://www.cavaliers.org/cgi-bin/staff.pl?...rson&id=126

I really do not like Glee.

...That's all I have to say about that.

I agree

Love the show....great singing and music.......AND IT'S NOT ANOTHER #### REALITY SHOW....LOL

Gives the unknowing public a fake impression of school music and music teachers... just like those other fairy tales: "Fame" (just put a boom box on top of a car. Kids will pour out into the street and break into a well chorerographed song and dance routine); "Mr. Holland" ("just picture a beautiful sunset...") "Drum Line" (yikes!); "High School Musical" (double yikes!)

If that stuff is your pleasure, by all means turn up the volume and knock yourself out. But none for me, thanks...

peace,

Fred O.