No more countdown?

In MYOHO I think the reason for the decline in people at the theaters is caused by the increase of movie theaters that are showing the countdown. The crowds are just now "thinned out" because of the higher amount of theaters to see it in.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It doesn't sound like you went to the Countdown this year. I did. I thought it was an excellent production, and from reading the other thread it seems most agree that this may have been the best ever. Perhaps some refused to give it a chance because it featured the five top shows from 2009, but if you'd been there then you'd have seen what a difference high definition makes on the big screen. Even the Glassmen from 2001 looked blurry and distorted next to the clarity of the 2009 shows - which, by the way, happen to be included on the new Blu-Ray products that DCI is trying to sell.

I assume that you didn't attend last night, and I assume that you don't work for DCI or have access to their books. If my assumptions are correct, then I don't think you're in any position to assume that the Countdown is a waste of money.

Sure. If it doesn't show what we want to see, it's a waste of money. I don't care how good the quality is, if the show is not what I want to see. I bet that at least some other people feel the same way. So what if the quality is top notch? That's only 1 factor in the equation. :plain:

With attendance figures coming back as low as 6. That's right....6 people. And a few theaters getting a whopping 30 people, will DCI realize the countdown is a waste of money?

Surely these theater things can't be cheap to pull off, so wouldn't you rather see that money going towards....say....improvements on the fan network? A new show site?

I know many would return to watch the countdown if it returned to the CLASSIC countdown format, but how many?

Honestly I'm thinking the countdown was a lot cheaper then you might think.

Im assuming they spent the most on making a deal with fathom because what they recorded at the shows is going on the dvd anyway, so the footage is working "double duty".

The studio they used was at a local university, which I'm sure they worked something out. The set wasn't too elaborate, just a couple of pictures, Christmas lights, and a screen....not even a green screen was used, so it was faster and cheaper to make. I'm pretty sure they cranked shooting out in just a couple of hours, and editing in a couple of more.

Since I went to the show last night and it would appear our OP did not, yes, I think my opinion is more valid than his. I paid $12.50 and in my opinion I got my money's worth. Besides that, if our OP is claiming his premise as fact then the burden of proof rests with him. If you think the Countdown is a waste of money for DCI.... convince me.

So what if you went and he didn't. Maybe he doesn't want to see those shows no matter the quality? :plain:

Sounds like a lot of people that could have gone DIDN'T regardless of the quality....

In MYOHO I think the reason for the decline in people at the theaters is caused by the increase of movie theaters that are showing the countdown. The crowds are just now "thinned out" because of the higher amount of theaters to see it in.

The point is being overlooked. More theatres were added because of complaints of " no room" at previous events. The line-up of this years event kept people away in droves......its as simple as that.

G

... Format and lack of historical references and shows have killed this...

I saw lots of historical references last night.

The point is being overlooked. More theatres were added because of complaints of " no room" at previous events. The line-up of this years event kept people away in droves......its as simple as that.

G

Yup. It kept me and my group of people away for sure!

The first year, I had to drive 100 miles to see the Countdown. The next year, I had to drive about 60. This year, I had three theaters less than ten miles from my house.

...The "Classic countdown" was originally set up to introduce todays fans to yesterdays activity and to help keep legacy fans happy and in the loop...that idea, even you can agree, has gone out the window...

True, which is why it's just named "The Countdown" now. Over the years, it has gone through a number of transitions to try to keep the idea fresh.

I've got to applaud those who put this together for trying, though.

I thought last night was a very nice mix of the current with the historical. Tying it in with what was done before was a touch I wasn't expecting. This year's theme seemed to be the High Definition thing, which was new this year and won't be next year...so I expect a different theme next year.

It's not easy trying to come up with different ideas to keep people coming back. Either the ABC people will be put off by any new format or the XYZ people will be. The plain fact, though, is no one is going to please everyone all of the time.

As stated in aother post, DCI has goofed and now killed this potential money maker. Format and lack of historical references and shows have killed this. Do not expect to see this again with this type of turn out. First couple of years, I went, standing room only. By playing on the last couple of years shows ( who everyone has seen and or has a copy of the dvd) why go?

Another smart move DCI. its like they are purposely trying to kill this activity

I thought it was fine, and the very crowded theater I was in seemed to really like it a lot....most of them were high school kids who clapped after the classic performances even more than some of the 09 ones.

I honestly don't want to see an entire countdown of older shows (00 or 01 and earlier) they just come off as tacky after awhile, but the clips they showed was just good enough for me and very tasteful.

I dislike the voting system because its not a voting process of which shows the public thinks is best its more of "which corps has the most alumni with internet access", then they go see their own shows. If they changed it back to a fan vote I can guarantee we can predict right now what the line up will be....unless they rule out any shows that has already been on the countdown previously. That would be a nice twist to it.

Not everybody has the dvd!

Just a lot of people on dcp. A lot of people aren't willing to shell out $100 for a dvd.

I've only bought 1 and its because it was my age out year, and I really enjoyed all the shows that year.

I haven't bought the 09 dvd year because I would just be paying 100 to watch crown and bluecoats over and over. So I'd have to wait till the price comes down or until I won it from the street team competition. So I haven't seen drum corps with an audience and great quality since finals, so its been months and I was ready to see it.

The nearly full theater I was at was probably half filled with people who never seen any 09 show or much less kept up with the 09 season, or drum corps at all for that matter. These events are a great tool to introduce people to drum corps to push it into more of mainstream entertainment and it worked at my location. Yes DCI has made a few choices I'm not happy with when it comes to certain things but I still support it and spread the word as much as I can about it.....nice to see you support and spread the word about it too.

Edited by southtxbones