1973 Kingsmen Film

But...but...how can that be drum corps?

There is no dancing, or synths, or wood winds!

Just thundering brass, an awesome drum line, and a colorguard who would kick your A55! :blink::blink::blink:

*Sarcasm off*

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That, folks, is what it was all about. That's the sort of thing that got me and others of my generation totally hooked on drum and bugle corps.

Only saw them live twice in 1972 in NY and NJ, but their recordings from that era are still among my all-time favorites.

Thanks for posting the link here.

That was cool stuff!

The year before....1972.... my dad, me, one of my older brothers and another guy from our local junior corps drove from NJ to Pittsburgh so we could catch the Kingsmen at a show there...it was the only time that summer we had a chance to see them.

They were worth the trip. :blink:

Fran

Edited by Fran Haring

It's ALWAYS great to see footage of the Kingsmen! They were a favorite of mine. The '73 Kingsmen weren't as good as the '72 Kingsmen, and they weren't as good as the '74 Kingsmen would be, but that '73 show had its own merits. I remember sitting in the stands at 1973 US Open, sweating out whether or not the Kingsmen could overcome their 13-point penalty assessed to them for being a day late at prelims (delayed by an accident, not directly involving the Kingsmen). Luckily they were still able to make finals, and they won the title for the second year in a row.

I couldn't agree with you more, Brian. Not as good as either -72 or '74 - a little thin in the horn sound - but still a great corps. Love the "stereo effect" between the high and low horns at the end of the second number.

Ahh, when marching drums sounded like marching drums. Great Tympani work too!!

:blink::blink::blink:

Ya know....so many people on DCP have insisted that "change is necessary" & "change is inevitable".

But, for my money...if drum corps would have stayed just like the '73 Kingsmen, or '74 SCV, or '70 Troopers, '75 Madison, etc., I would NEVER have tired of it. EVER! :blink:

It sure is good to see something in color from that time period. Too bad its only excerpts. I wonder if the Kingswomen were the first to do the "Rockford" (for lack of a better word) file move? They are the first ones I remember doing it. By the end of the 70's it seemed lick everyone had done a version of it at least once. I do love that show, but one thing that I never understood was that drum solo. For some reason is sounds more like it should be accompanying music, and I think at some point early in the season it did. On its own, it falls flat. One of the top 5 uniforms of all time.

That is a Bobby Hoffman drill, by the way. I am particularly pleased with the marching and visual aspect of the show. We worked very hard on that all year.

Blue Meanies was intended as a "drum solo with backfield horn accompaniment". By the second tour the horn part had been dropped and it became a stand-alone drum solo which, as you say, fell flat. Our show underwent many changes that year. We were desperately trying to get our scores up with a somewhat stale show, management problems, and HUGE shoes to fill from 1972. Yes, the guard was amazing, as always. I was so thrilled to see this color video - hell, to see any video, from 1973!

That is a Bobby Hoffman drill, by the way. I am particularly pleased with the marching and visual aspect of the show. We worked very hard on that all year.

Blue Meanies was intended as a "drum solo with backfield horn accompaniment". By the second tour the horn part had been dropped and it became a stand-alone drum solo which, as you say, fell flat. Our show underwent many changes that year. We were desperately trying to get our scores up with a somewhat stale show, management problems, and HUGE shoes to fill from 1972. Yes, the guard was amazing, as always. I was so thrilled to see this color video - hell, to see any video, from 1973!

All I can say is WOW! I saw them once or twice in 73. Even though this corps was eclipsed by the 72 and 74 editions, they were STILL a force to be reckoned with everywhere they went.

That drumline and guard were fabulous. Being a timpanist, theirs had to be one of the best lines ever. I'll tip my hat to SCV's 1971 line and a few years of 27th, but Anaheim's timps were always the top of the class in my books!