G- 7 Corps Qualification

Maybe bc we haven't seen it yet?!? All anyone is going on right now is SPIN. From both sides. And sadly, just spin from an idea which isn't even close to being finalized according to those who proposed it in the first place.

This is true, and something to keep in mind when the emotions drive us to post. From the published material we've seen, this is a proposal in it's bare infancy. I think exploring any "outside the box" options can lead to further brainstorming of ideas that could, in the end, lead to a solution beneficial to all. I think there are some decent ideas in the proposal, and obviously some concerns for all involved. This could be a good thing when it's all said and done, but at this point we have some fairly broad ideas that were voiced by a contingent of directors, and nothing more: no actual official vote for this by the Board, no implementation, no details.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I say, let the G7 do their own thing, but not with DCI. They are rigging more drum corps to fail.

They should move on to do whatever they want, they will be missed, if they got a better idea on how to do things and make more money for themselves let them move on. "G7DC"

But a new deal with the remaining DCI corps, and a new money plan with all the drum corps including open class, so it fair for them too.

The better corps gets paid more and the worst corps paid less, so it doesn't start any mediocrity.

A system is need to help the remaining corps and help new corps that are forming a fighting chance to make it.

But corps need to be better with money and recruiting, so the numbers of corps grow, not even less drum corps.

A drum corps tzar, need to happen, that person or his team goes out to corps hometown, helps them get better with making money and recruiting. Helps them get better at being a drum corps.

The Chef Ramsey ( as seen on Kitchen Nightmares) but with drum corps.

So that the sport of drum corps grows and those G7 corps will be missed but replaced, but with new better corps in bigger numbers.

sign me up. I say #### more than Chef Ramsey does :tongue:

Maybe bc we haven't seen it yet?!? All anyone is going on right now is SPIN. From both sides. And sadly, just spin from an idea which isn't even close to being finalized according to those who proposed it in the first place.

well Dan's statement lends more credence to the DCW article does than the vague proposal PR release

well Dan's statement lends more credence to the DCW article does than the vague proposal PR release

No doubt. And I've even said some parts I like, and others not so much. But I don't have all the facts. And some people obviously didn't read his entire statement, considering some of the posts I've seen made on here.

Dan also said: "I do know each corps leader is equally compassionate toward the other as well as their respective corps. One of the truly spectacular aspects of DCI's fraternal dynamic is that no matter the background, no matter the different points of view, no matter the underlying competitiveness, there has always been compassionate resolve in the end that serves the entire collective."

Some people are just not reading this part I guess? I have seen many posts which are opposite of what the above statement says.

And he said: "Now, I realize many fans and participants want all the facts of what has taken place and want to dissect every word of every statement to get to the truth. Certainly, I respect the passion held by them. They too are concerned for the future of the drum corps experience and for that I am truly grateful. However, it is time for the corps leaders to join together, and with the DCI staff and the fans, focus on delivering the best experience to date for the amazing participants in all groups who will take the Drum Corps International stage this summer. We owe them nothing less than a magnificent experience, and we owe the volunteers and professional staff around them the support necessary to make this happen."

Again, does this sound like Dan wants fans to boycott corps or shows which have G7 corps? Because I've seen several posts on here claiming that's what we should do. And then using "facts" as the basis for that claim.

And this isn't directed at you Jeff..There's no doubt there is major concern right now, as Dan pointed out. Some are going about this with a level heads, which leads to educated discussions on the issue. Others, not so much. All I'm trying to say. Have a great night.

No doubt. And I've even said some parts I like, and others not so much. But I don't have all the facts. And some people obviously didn't read his entire statement, considering some of the posts I've seen made on here.

Dan also said: "I do know each corps leader is equally compassionate toward the other as well as their respective corps. One of the truly spectacular aspects of DCI's fraternal dynamic is that no matter the background, no matter the different points of view, no matter the underlying competitiveness, there has always been compassionate resolve in the end that serves the entire collective."

Some people are just not reading this part I guess? I have seen many posts which are opposite of what the above statement says.

And he said: "Now, I realize many fans and participants want all the facts of what has taken place and want to dissect every word of every statement to get to the truth. Certainly, I respect the passion held by them. They too are concerned for the future of the drum corps experience and for that I am truly grateful. However, it is time for the corps leaders to join together, and with the DCI staff and the fans, focus on delivering the best experience to date for the amazing participants in all groups who will take the Drum Corps International stage this summer. We owe them nothing less than a magnificent experience, and we owe the volunteers and professional staff around them the support necessary to make this happen."

Again, does this sound like Dan wants fans to boycott corps or shows which have G7 corps? Because I've seen several posts on here claiming that's what we should do. And then using "facts" as the basis for that claim.

And this isn't directed at you Jeff..There's no doubt there is major concern right now, as Dan pointed out. Some are going about this with a level heads, which leads to educated discussions on the issue. Others, not so much. All I'm trying to say. Have a great night.

I understand why Dan said everything he did when you read it.

But some imflammatory comments were made that insulted many people that got out, and I dare say Dan calling people out for egoism and self righteousness is too.

is the current model broken? perhaps in the current economy yes. But THESE ARE THE GUYS WHO VOTED IT IN, and on everything they vote in, if it bombs, they never say "oops, we ####ed up, let's go back to what was working before".

and who knows, something old can become new again....and make drum corps better.

when the economy was good, these guys voted stuff in year after year that added to the costs of running a drum corps and DCI. Never once did they slow down and say "####, it's gonna suck in 2 years".

these are the guys that voted in Indy, which if you believe some rumors now they can't wait to get out of.

I have said it before, and I feel it's never been more true than now...change for the sake of change can really ruin things

That is how it was done in the 70s. The top twelve had a vote and the associate corps (13-25) did not.

I forgot about this! ONLY the G12 (i.e. the top 12) could vote on anything. However, the corps that placed 13-25 could "sit at the table", but couldn't vote. Corps from 26 down, weren't even allowed to attend the meetings! (And at that time there were over 250 corps in the US.)

Such were the original rules of DCI, much more restrictive than now.

I think this also exposes the flaw of the DCI Board. I would guess those on the board wanting to do the G7 thing will obviously vote to approve since it's their plan. On the other hand, the non-G7 directors who might see this as a threat that causes DCI and their own corps to lose money will vote against. Without an independently manned Board of Directors, the line is really blurred between "doing what's best for all" and "doing what's best for my own drum corps." I understand that it's not a bad thing that the DCI Board of Directors is made up by corps directors who have a good understanding of what's best in general for the activity. But sometimes the conflict of interests is obvious, and potentially damning for the activity. I don't know what kind of 'executive veto' Dan Acheson has (if any) when the voting topic is seemingly a matter of self-serving some corps and damaging to others.

This is why several of the Board members were removed by the general membership.

This is why several of the Board members were removed by the general membership.

What are the odds we'll hear more details about this? I'm not arguing with it--but I'd like to think a restructuring on the administrative/organizational end is something that would be announced at some point.

Some people are just not reading this part I guess?

No, we can read. We can also choose whether to agree or disagree.

I'm sure the 2010 season will proceed with all 23 corps honoring their DCI commitments, and thus "coming together" in a sense that makes Dan's words true. I'm also sure that whatever decisions come after that will be taken by leaders doing what they feel is best for whatever collective they choose to align with.

But let's be realistic here. History shows us where this is headed. There will be a split....precisely when is the remaining question.

I forgot about this! ONLY the G12 (i.e. the top 12) could vote on anything. However, the corps that placed 13-25 could "sit at the table", but couldn't vote. Corps from 26 down, weren't even allowed to attend the meetings! (And at that time there were over 250 corps in the US.)

Such were the original rules of DCI, much more restrictive than now.

Well, ya.... the original voting system set up by DCI was very undemocratic, and gave power and influence to the few as opposed to the many. So whats the point ? And what is the relevancy to today's dilemna ? That the seeds for the eventual downfall may have been set in motion from Day One ? If that's the point, you'll have no argument from me.