Enfield Centurions Drum and Bugle Corps, Enfield CT

We are extremely excited to announce that a group of solid drum corps people and Centurions alumni have formed a committee to bring the Centurions from Enfield, CT back to the competition field!

The Centurions were in existence from 1966 through 1977. We were Yankee Circuit Champions in 1971 and made great strides throughout the 70s. The last year the corps was on the field was 1977 where the corps finished strong in World Open Class 'B' championships. The corps took the high drum score in Finals and yes, we are still proud of that!

The group is being led by Larry Carbonell and Nick Yaworski.

Nick Yaworski will be the Corps Director.

The rest of the people involved in this project that attended the first meeting:

Alumni of the Corps

Larry Carbonell

Patty Smith Souder

Bree Ziegler Costas

Tom Rhodes

Mark Rhodes

Others in attendance that are on the committee to organize:

Jason Chin

Bill Souder

Steph Carbonell

Bill Holden

Jeff Choice

Bob Villanova

There are others working behind the scenes as well.

The corps will plan to start rehearsals this fall.

Performance Goals:

Parades starting St. Patrick's Day, 2011

Indoor drum corps show sponsored by the corps in Enfield

Mini-Corps competition at DCA Weekend, 2011

The corps will spend most of 2011 raising money in preparation to be on the DCA competitive field for the 2012 season.

To reach us:

EMAIL - info@enfieldcenturions.org

PHONE - 860-265-1002 Option 1

Thank you! See you on the 50!

More to come....

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Larry, Nick and the rest of the crew.... best of luck to you guys in this new venture!

Yes, I'm old enough to remember the Centurians. :guinesssmilie:

Fran

In our meeting, we were doing our best "Fran Haring" impression announcing ourselves onto the field of competition. We are excited and look forward to hearing you announce us.

Thanks, Fran.

Larry, Nick and the rest of the crew.... best of luck to you guys in this new venture!

Yes, I'm old enough to remember the Centurians. :guinesssmilie:

Fran

In our meeting, we were doing our best "Fran Haring" impression announcing ourselves onto the field of competition. We are excited and look forward to hearing you announce us.

Thanks, Fran.

I recall the Centurions - having lived in Coventry, CT for six years or so - and I wish you all the best in reestablishing the corps. I do, however, have a couple of questions...

The Centurions were a junior corps, no? And now you're coming back as an all-age?

And... wasn't there another Class A corps out of Enfield - perhaps prior to the Centurions - the Enfield Sabres, with their feeder corps, the Enfield Rifles?

Andy

Thanks, Fran.

In that case, you must have been able to find a Hawaiin shirt louder than the combined hornlines of all DCA corps :guinesssmilie:

Best of luck and look forward to seeing/hearing you on the field!

This is great news for us CT folks. I hope you dont mind my asking but I have a couple of questions to ask.

In 1982 I competed against a bunch of cool cats called the Enfield Sabers in my jr drum corps years. Is there any relation?

Question # 2. Do you guys plan on being DCI or an all age corps ? Either way, I am happy to see another corps forming in my home state. I wish you guys the best of luck.

I recall the Centurions - having lived in Coventry, CT for six years or so - and I wish you all the best in reestablishing the corps. I do, however, have a couple of questions...

The Centurions were a junior corps, no? And now you're coming back as an all-age?

And... wasn't there another Class A corps out of Enfield - perhaps prior to the Centurions - the Enfield Sabres, with their feeder corps, the Enfield Rifles?

Andy

That would be the Enfield Sabers and the feeder was Sabers II. PM me if you want a historical timeline of the Enfield CT corps. I know because I was there.

This is great news for us CT folks. I hope you dont mind my asking but I have a couple of questions to ask.

In 1982 I competed against a bunch of cool cats called the Enfield Sabers in my jr drum corps years. Is there any relation?

Question # 2. Do you guys plan on being DCI or an all age corps ? Either way, I am happy to see another corps forming in my home state. I wish you guys the best of luck.

The Sabers organization had folded for good by 1982. It must have been 1972???

Connecticut needs more Drum Corps period. I remember when you couldn't throw a rock without hitting one. What's left now? The Hurcs, 7th Regiment, Park City Pride, the USCGA Windjammers and the Connecticut alumni. All good, but the State is in a sorry state. If the Centurions can pick up some of the slack, then HAIL CAESAR! :guinesssmilie:

Edited by Piper

The Sabers organization had folded for good by 1982. It must have been 1972???

No he would have meant '82. Trust me.

:guinesssmilie: