Enfield Centurions Drum and Bugle Corps, Enfield CT

Found this posted by TSOP on March 23rd ... I don't recall Larry and Nick associated with Philly:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It is with a heavy heart that the Board and managment of TSOP Inc. has decided to not field the Corps for DCA in the 2010 season.

Reasons behind this decision is due to lack of membership to properly field a quality show in the DCA class of performance, We have all worked hard to try to put out a quality performance but the end result has been that it wouldn't meet the standards of what would be considered proper in the high paced top notch performance needed to compete.

The Sounds of Philadelphhia are still working this season as both a Mini Corps as well as working towards the Arena Drum Corps Circuit as we will build towards the 2011 season.

The entire TSOP organization as well as it's membership wish the very best of luck to all of the DCA Corps in the 2010 season, we also wish to thank the board of DCA and we will continue to work to bring the reality of DCA drum corps back to Philadelphia.

maybe I'm wrong, but I thought he was on staff there also..............

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't recall Larry and Nick associated with Philly:

Me, neither.

I was bored, so I went to look for the thread that mentioned Larry Carbonnel. I remember it, but my computer blocked it saying it was infected with an active virus....around page 13 or 14. Also there was another new corps he was associated with in that area after TSOP closed shop. Busy guy. I'm not out to get Larry by the way. Don't know him. However, Gary was correct about that.

Edited by Borg Bari

I just find it interesting. All parties mentioned in this, yet another new DCA corps, is destined to be a mini corps at best anyway. You guys feel you can just start up a corps or in this case a number of corps because you had some success with a indoor guard in Bethlehem PA?

Maybe you can focus all of these efforts into one half decent Class A corps, combine all the names and put something out there.

I also wonder if you think because of the recent success of the Hurricanes, that this is a good time to start a new corps up. It took the Hurcs many years to get back to where they are today and the last thing they need is a distraction in thier rebuilding efforts. I think one of two of this new team was somehow involved with the Hurcs at one point too? Maybe I'm wrong on that.

I could see if a group like the RI Matadors wanted to come back, then that would be one thing. But the Enfield Centurions? I remember them as a Class A corps in the Northeastern Circuit, with no more than 50 kids back in the 1970's

I just find it interesting. All parties mentioned in this, yet another new DCA corps, is destined to be a mini corps at best anyway. You guys feel you can just start up a corps or in this case a number of corps because you had some success with a indoor guard in Bethlehem PA?

Maybe you can focus all of these efforts into one half decent Class A corps, combine all the names and put something out there.

I also wonder if you think because of the recent success of the Hurricanes, that this is a good time to start a new corps up. It took the Hurcs many years to get back to where they are today and the last thing they need is a distraction in thier rebuilding efforts. I think one of two of this new team was somehow involved with the Hurcs at one point too? Maybe I'm wrong on that.

I could see if a group like the RI Matadors wanted to come back, then that would be one thing. But the Enfield Centurions? I remember them as a Class A corps in the Northeastern Circuit, with no more than 50 kids back in the 1970's

I don't think it would be a big deal for the Hurcs. They seem to be attracting new members from all over the place. Not just CT. Either way,I think it would be great to have another competing corps in CT.

Also, I would love to see the RI Matadors make a comeback but I'm not sure it can be done these days. They had the best brass soloist, cleanest snare line known to mankind and the over all drive to bring the house down back in those days. I don't know if it would ever be possible for them to find that kind of raw talent ever again. Times have changed.

Some points here....

1 - The Renegades started their foray in DCA as a mini-corps.

2 - I doubt that this effort would ever become a thorn in the side of the Hurcs.

3 - Name shmame. It doesn't matter if the corps is a rebirth of the East Overshoe Cadets. What does matter is that the resources - financial, physical and human - are plentiful. Anything less and the effort will not meet with success.

4 - For the Enfield, CT, corps in particular BITD - just being smallish was not an issue. Anyone remember Pat McCue? Started in the Enfield Sabers (ca. 1960), marched with Marksmen and Skyliners, taught Matadors and Centurions. The guy who arranged for and taught the Sabers in 1969-71 was someone named Hy.

Enfield really isn't all that close to Derby (I'm guessing about an hour, depending on Hartford traffic). Enfield is literally right on the MA/CT border about 15 minutes from Springfield, MA....and FWIW, Park City Pride certainly hasn't appeared to hamper the Hurcs. I think Enfield would be a good option for those in Western/Central MA who may be interested in competing, but don't want the additional commute to/from Derby. I give kudos to ANY new corps, the more we have involved in the activity, the better for all. As long as they know what they're getting into and a solid business plan in place so that they're still here in a few years, go for it and best of luck!