Bugles Across America needs you

Bugles Across America

This is from a couple years ago. In the spirit of Memorial Day, I wish to remind all of Bugles Across America, an amazing organization doing incredible work. BAA needs you, whether you can sign up as a volunteer bugler for military buglers or if you can make a monetary contribution.

Drum Corps as an organized activity in this country was begun by veterans groups. Without them, it would never have flourished.

When one of them passes, the very least we should do is honor him or her with the 24 simple notes of Taps...on the bugle.

Click the link in Mike's post and please do whatever you can to support that effort.

I saw a story on...Fox, I think? guy was using a 2valve G bugle...(well, I assume it was a G bugle, as I've never seen a 2 valve Bb bugle)

One of the most important musical moments ever witnessed by the entire world on broadcast tv was when the bugler played taps at the gravesite of JFK; all of the rest of the most important musical moments are witnessed by very few, and they happen at various veterans cemeteries across this great nation of ours. Bugles Across America is a wonderful organization.

One of the most important musical moments ever witnessed by the entire world on broadcast tv was when the bugler played taps at the gravesite of JFK; all of the rest of the most important musical moments are witnessed by very few, and they happen at various veterans cemeteries across this great nation of ours. Bugles Across America is a wonderful organization.

BAA just refurbished its web site... even if you've volunteered before, go sign on again.

It's an indescribable feeling, and it means the world to the families.

:tongue::smile:

BAA just refurbished its web site... even if you've volunteered before, go sign on again.

It's an indescribable feeling, and it means the world to the families.

I can tell you from personal experience it meant the world to Mom and I.

Several months later, I was at a funeral where a digital bugle was used for a veteran. During the performance of the digital "Taps," all I could do was think about Dad's funeral and how grateful I was for the attendance of Bugles Across America's founder Tom Day.

Tom Day can't be everywhere at every funeral for a veteran, but with the assistance of the drum corps community, Bugles Across America can be.

I've been a volunteer member for years now. It's a great organization.

A few years ago a low-brass playing friend passed away. He told me "I want a 'real' instrument to sound Taps." The funeral director thought he meant a bugle, but I caught the voice inflection. I borrowed a marching baritone from my alma mater, put down the 3rd valve, and went from there.

Just a couple weeks ago I saw his daughter, still grateful I'd caught the voice inflection. As she told me, "Dad couldn't stand little instruments!"