2010 Star of Indiana

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mason Entertainment already uses Yamaha so why would they trade down to Pearl or Premier for the alimni corps?

I admittedly don't know poo about Mason Entertainment. I was simply referring to Star of Indiana Drum & Bugle Corps back in the day, who were a Premier and Pearl line.

this is gonna be spectacular!!! cant wait to hear some of 93 in there and belshazaars!

I just sang Belshazzar's Feast with the Cincinnati May Festival Chorus a few weeks ago. I've known it for over 25 years, so it was fun finally getting to perform it for real!

Incredible piece of music. Interesting story about that piece: The extra brasses were added later, after the director of the Leeds festival (for which it was written) quipped "The brasses are here for Berlioz Requiem, so you may as well use them too, since your piece will never be performed again." Something like that...look it up on wiki.

Nice. Being a drummer I didn't really look that closely at the brass but are they using actual bugles or band instruments?

Crown let them borrow the silver horns from last year. *Ending the rumor that Crown is using two sets of horns this year on the field!!! I can't WAIT to see/hear the STAR alumni corps at finals!!!

Edited by Crowncontramom

That clip is in Eb, assuming it was recorded properly.

So why are they playing the Holst Suite in F in the key of Eb ???

Edited by HornsUp

I hit pause on the video for Teaser 2.

The tubas are 3-valved. Star of Indiana's G bugles, which from what I hear are still in excellent condition and used often by alumni for Star reunions and Star United, are two-valved Kings, so unless they purchased a new set of 3-Valved Gs from King (these don't have detachable bells, so I doubt it) they could be Bb Yamaha horns.

A shame, but probably necessary for the BP Oil Containment Dome.

Ha,

Upon a second look of the singing Sneak Peak vid, there is a trumpet in view (elongated tubing) instead of that shorter horn segment that is seen on Gs. However, it looks like they are mixing Bbs with Gs as two baritones have two different horns (one is more stacked with tubing "G" than the other which is more open "Bb")

Let's put to bed all of the G bugle things. Unfortunately, the King G bugles that were used throughout Star's drum corps existence are no longer in use by the corps, nor owned by the corps. I think several of the horns are still used in the DCA circuit by a few people or are in possession of a few collectors. I have a King K-90 that i love. Now, the horns that will be played by the Star Alumni corps... these are Yamaha Bb's... and finally the corps is on matched horns.

I don't want to speculate on the how the horns are supplied or where they came from, but they are great horns and Star Alumni corps will sound great playing them.

I can't wait until August when Star Alumni is unleashed on the drum corps activity. It has been a long time coming.

Animal