How come SCV did Phantom of the Opera for 2 years straight

and don't forget that BD pretty much ALWAYS played Legend of the One Eyed Sailor in the 70's.

Got better every year!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was there in Kansas City for both 88 and 89... AND ON FINALS NIGHT...in 88.... MADISON deserved the win !!! They won with the best show.... that night !!!

Thinking this is the year that Steve R coined the phrase "And this place is electric.....!" That night... the Scouts went out ... and just out powered everyone !!!

89- the revamped POTO was powerful and great....... I had no problems with the SCV taking the title... it was magical !!! And IMHO, very deserving !!!!

Great ending for a great decade of Drum Corps International !!!!

I was there in Kansas City for both 88 and 89... AND ON FINALS NIGHT...in 88.... MADISON deserved the win !!! They won with the best show.... that night !!!

Thinking this is the year that Steve R coined the phrase "And this place is electric.....!" That night... the Scouts went out ... and just out powered everyone !!!

89- the revamped POTO was powerful and great....... I had no problems with the SCV taking the title... it was magical !!! And IMHO, very deserving !!!!

Great ending for a great decade of Drum Corps International !!!!

I was there too, I disagree.

G

Small correction here. Dutchboy did City of Angels while VK's theme/show title was A Night (Knight?) at the Apollo.

Thank you!

Apologies, you are correct. Dutch Boy played City of Angels in 1991. I saw them that year and enjoyed the show.

I also saw VK at the same show. I think it was in Madison, WI.

It was Dutchboy that did "City of angels" in 1991. VK did the Night at the apollo show.....

G

Heh, I guess I just wanted to give VK some love. I even looked at corpsreps to make sure the year was correct.

Big brain fart! :thumbup:

'88 is one of my fav SCV show ever.

Simply, they repeated it in '89 because Madison was handed the win '88 for their 50th anniversary. Gail knew SCVs show was better that night. He felt the show could not be improved upon but also knew that, at the time, repeating a show measure for measure would be frowned on by the judges.

There is a video out there (I'll try to find it) where he says this, and I'm only moderately paraphrasing his words. (I think it's the interview where he says '87 SCV replaced 1968 (?) Chicago Royalaires as his "pinnacle" show.)

I felt SCV was robbed that night, even though I loved Scouts' show.

I've always had a feeling that Madison may have had a little inertia on their 50th anniversary to help them win the championships. But being that SCV had a championship-caliber show in 1988, the judges may have "handed" them the win in 1989. But what about Phantom Regiment? Their 1989 show "From a New Age to a New World" (or something like that) was championship-caliber as well, and many people felt they got robbed like SCV the year before. Unfortunately, they never got the memo from the judges that if they had repeated the same show in 1990, they would have been "handed" a championship, too. :thumbup:

This is all just a big conspiracy theory in my opinion, but it's fun to speculate about.

Thank you!

Apologies, you are correct. Dutch Boy played City of Angels in 1991. I saw them that year and enjoyed the show.

I also saw VK at the same show. I think it was in Madison, WI.

Yeah, I liked the feminine aspect of the score as opposed to the brash Scouts presentation.......But Scouts 91 & 92 were just outstanding, 92 Scouts doesnt even get mentioned on here much, it was dazzling !

G

GMichael.........I disagree... Madison came out of the tunnel and blew down the stadium !!! They earned the title that night... IMHO.....

SCV had a great show also.... I think this is a year that easily could be said a "tie" could've been delt..... but Madison was just on that night

and had the complete show and peaked at the right time ..... Im glad SCV came back with an "improved" 89 year... I liked both seasons...

but 88 was Madisons year !!!

"

I've always had a feeling that Madison may have had a little inertia on their 50th anniversary to help them win the championships. But being that SCV had a championship-caliber show in 1988, the judges may have "handed" them the win in 1989. But what about Phantom Regiment? Their 1989 show "From a New Age to a New World" (or something like that) was championship-caliber as well, and many people felt they got robbed like SCV the year before. Unfortunately, they never got the memo from the judges that if they had repeated the same show in 1990, they would have been "handed" a championship, too. :thumbup:

This is all just a big conspiracy theory in my opinion, but it's fun to speculate about.

I disagree..1989 Phantom Regiment was far from championship caliber for two words: drum solo.

It ws an outstanding, entertaning, memorable monster of a show that dominated early season contests because it was so darned clean and other-worldly, however, the design is what kept it from taking home the title.

G