Plates...Who's Got 'Em?

Is there any reason ( other than SCV ) that no other top 12 corps are marching plates?

Plate lines have kind of fallen out of use in DCI for several reasons. One is that since keyboards and racks in the front ensemble are mounted with multiple cymbals, corps don't see the need for a dedicated cymbal line to produce cymbal sounds (crashes, hi-hats, etc.). Another reason is that the corps would much rather utilize those spots for more horn players or more guard members. It's a shame, cymbal lines are usually my favorite section in the corps that have them. About 20 years ago, almost all corps had cymbal lines. It would be interesting to see the stylistic approaches of a cymbal line in the Blue Devils, or the Cadets, or Crown.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't Cadets used to have a cymbal line? I recall seeing like ONE picture of them with a cymbal line, but maybe it wasn't them.

Open Class has a ton of corps with cymbal lines.

Didn't Cadets used to have a cymbal line?

The Cadets used to not only have 'a' cymbal line, but one of the best. The parts Hannum wrote for them showed that a cymbal line can add to the music.

By the way, I have always hated it when cymbals are called plates.

Is there any reason ( other than SCV ) that no other top 12 corps are marching plates?

The designers evidently don't feel it's worth giving up those positions for a plate line.

By the way, I have always hated it when cymbals are called plates.

How about lids? As in garbage can lids? Been calling them that for 35 years.

How about lids? As in garbage can lids? Been calling them that for 35 years.

I repRESENT that remark! Did you know that drum shells can burn?

Milton Waddams

BTW, Back in '78 a guy from the Army Fife and Drum Corps called them Brass Cookies.