A Question about the number of shows

New member here. As my name says, I have a son on the contra line in the Bluecoats.

All the talk about the BD first show tonight made me look this up.

The BD only march in 24 shows this season. The Bluecoats march in 30.

Will that have any significant bearing on the results? Is this common for the west coast corps to march fewer shows?

BloooTubaDad

it's kind of a trade off...

less shows gives you more rehearsal time which is more time to improve. More shows gets you more chances to get feedback from the judges and more appearances fees (the corps receive money for each DCI show they perform at).

SCV has 28 shows, so I don't think it is necessarily a west coast thing.

New member here. As my name says, I have a son on the contra line in the Bluecoats.

Will that have any significant bearing on the results? Is this common for the west coast corps to march fewer shows?

BloooTubaDad

Hello BloooTubaDad, I too am new to this forum and to the whole DCI experience. My son also plays on the contra line and his name is Clayton. Which one is yours? I have posted some pictures on my facebook page if you would like to look at them.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/album.php?a...mp;id=519661442

http://www.facebook.com/#!/album.php?a...mp;id=519661442

:tongue:

BloooTubaDad

Just as a point of reference, last year (2009) BD & Bluecoats toured together most of the entire summer.

BD - 26 DCI performances (counting Finals)

Bluecoats - 27 DCI Performances (counting Finals)

NOTE: both performed an additional show in Las Vegas show (Non-DCI event)

Additionally, BD played family day with Vanguard (as always) (non-scored event)....so it pretty much evened out last year.

But yes, West Coast seems to play a few less shows, probably due to long travel. this makes sense in that Bluecoats played 3 less shows last year touring with BD.

... who knows... but what soccerguy315 said is correct.

His name is Geoff but he goes by Geo. He and Bryce are both from Centerville. Tim Fairbanks, who does the drill design for Blooo, is our drum guy.

He is picture 26 on your site.

BloooTubaDad

Edited by BloooTubaDad

His name is Geoff but he goes by Geo. He and Bryce are both from Centerville. Tim Fairbanks, who does the drill design for Blooo, is our drum guy.

He is picture 26 on your site.

BloooTubaDad

Mine is #28 on my site. I will be posting more photos the week of the Witcita - Dallas because I will be traveling with them. Nice to meet you by the way. :tongue:

I think some of it has to do with the fact that West Coast corps have to travel a lot further than corps like Bluecoats.

The furthest west the Bluecoats are going this summer is Texas. BD goes basically from extreme west possible to extreme east possible and also goes up as far northeast as Buffalo. That's significanly more driving time for BD which eats up quite a number of days.

I think amount of rehearsal time plays a bigger part than number of shows. That, and of course, member talent level and overall show design.

Glad to see someone continuing a discussion I started at the end of last year when I noticed the Cadets were significantly busier than the other two traditional top 3 (Cadets, Cavies, BD). Crown was more in league with Cadets. This deserves more attention.

The patterns seems mostly to repeat this year. What concerns me most is the August schedule. Not counting Indy, Cadets have six August dates compared with four for BD and just three for Cavies. Since all will be coming from Atlanta on 31 July via Allentown to Indy for finals, they can't claim any travel/distance inconvenience such as BD can rightly note for June and early July.

To my mind, competitive advantage/disadvantage is beside the point. The point is these top corps (I'm referring to BD and Cavies) are depriving fans just when their shows are most complete and refined. Any competitive advantage they perceive is entirely at the fans' expense, which is a shame.

On the other hand, you have to respect Cadets (along with Crown, Bluecoats, SCV and others) for putting on the uniforms for the fans more often. Come to think of it, it's rather pathetic that I have to thank corps for doing what they ought to be doing.

As the G7 sorts themselves out, they ought to take stats like these into mind. BD and Cavies are the draw, it's true. So they ought to be there drawing in August too.

HH

Glad to see someone continuing a discussion I started at the end of last year when I noticed the Cadets were significantly busier than the other two traditional top 3 (Cadets, Cavies, BD). Crown was more in league with Cadets. This deserves more attention.

The patterns seems mostly to repeat this year. What concerns me most is the August schedule. Not counting Indy, Cadets have six August dates compared with four for BD and just three for Cavies. Since all will be coming from Atlanta on 31 July via Allentown to Indy for finals, they can't claim any travel/distance inconvenience such as BD can rightly note for June and early July.

To my mind, competitive advantage/disadvantage is beside the point. The point is these top corps (I'm referring to BD and Cavies) are depriving fans just when their shows are most complete and refined. Any competitive advantage they perceive is entirely at the fans' expense, which is a shame.

On the other hand, you have to respect Cadets (along with Crown, Bluecoats, SCV and others) for putting on the uniforms for the fans more often. Come to think of it, it's rather pathetic that I have to thank corps for doing what they ought to be doing.

As the G7 sorts themselves out, they ought to take stats like these into mind. BD and Cavies are the draw, it's true. So they ought to be there drawing in August too.

HH

Yes, BD and Cavies are "a" draw, but not "the" draw" (particularly with the new exciting rivalry of Cadets and Crown). Please see my post #4 in this thread. Last years numbers compared to Bluecoats was almost identical (they should be, they toured together). I'm certain BD and Cavies would thank you for missing them so much, but they are both very hard working, fan-friendly corps that touch a great deal of fans and young musicians during the year (check out system blue tour dates, this is in addition to their normal playing schedule). Things aren't always as they may seem. Just like BD's show this year....they're here, there and everywhere!