Star of Indiana 1994

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Strange, but I seem to remember more boo birds in 91' then any other time. Maybe I just became indifferent to them after that. That season I watched a women in a Madison shirt stand up and flip off the corps at retreat and stomp down the stairs after scores where announced in Centerville. I've never seen anything like that since.

Funny enough, I recall performing at Hershey, PA in 1992. We were just getting to our first big hit of the show (the big arc), and this one dude, sitting in the stands right in the center section, stands up and raises TWO middle fingers to the entire corps and just continues to stand there until the cut off! I believe he was "complimenting" the corps by basically saying "that kind of sound should not be allowed, F U and your glorious sound!!!"

Other members including Mr. Pink Elephant have correlating reports of seeing this that night as well.

It definitely made up for some of the riff raff we had to deal with that summer.

:sad:

The irony here is that, of the two drum corps people that have done this to me throughout history, BOTH of them were Blue Devils!

Back on topic, I think it would be interesting to hear Rite of Spring. I'm not sure how well it would translate to the field. I have a feeling they would have to stick with the more "fan-friendly" sections, simply because so many sections of it would be all but impossible on the marching field.

Haha...and what was the deal with the Devs throwing Jolly Ranchers into our block. I could never tell if they were trying to share, or trying to hit us, or if they were already too drunk to know the difference lol...weird how I haven't thought about that since then.

Oh and the "impossible" parts might've been what attracted our staff to Rite ;)

And 1991 Preview of Champions at Madison, when the stadium announcer had to "scold' the crowd for booing Star.

I'm not sure if this is true so another alumni needs to correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to remember hearing that Prime decided never to watch Star in a show again after this. I think he took it pretty personally. If you know the guy, this seems pretty plausible. Here's to hoping he's hearing the cheers for Madison and BK this year and decides to come back into the stadium.

With Jim Prime and Thom Hannum at the helm I am sure they would have been able to translate Rite of Spring to the field.

Woobie... I think the guy was flipping us off because he was at the standstill the day before and he was mad that his ears were still ringing:) I think my head was still ringing but for some reason I do not think it had anything to do with our playing:)

Ben.... yes Jimmer was very upset and took it very personally at how the crowd reacted to us. He took it as a direct insult to his beautiful work from what I was told. I hope you are correct and his mastery will be better accepted now!!!

Actually a funny Shorty story from Preview in 1992 that comes from a VERY reliable source that was on the top of the box. There were a few brass staff members from different corps that got up high to listen to us that night. Supposedly there was a lot of head shaking, in a good way, and then we got into Chester and hit the Sforzando hit before the drum break and Shorty just flipped us off with a few other Shorty comments. Then a staff member from another corps said why and how did they do that... and Shorty's response... because they ####### can!!

So I guess we were flipped off in a good way at least once:)

Dude, I remember setting up for the opener in Rockford in '87 (of all years). This is the stadium that had a sideline extremely close to the crowd. There was a quiet and reserved grandmother type sitting in the front row (about 10' from me, as I recall). She smiled at us until we hit the downbeat of the fanfare, and then gave us the biggest two-handed "FU" shaking green finger I have ever seen. It was epic and instantly helped me get into the proper state of mind for the program.

We learned later that a local Rockford DJ had been stirring the pot for the week previous to the show and apparently grandma was an avid listener.

Was '91 Preview the show where a bank of stadium lights on the home side went out during one of the shows? Was it Crossmen?

Was '91 Preview the show where a bank of stadium lights on the home side went out during one of the shows? Was it Crossmen?

I don't remember that happening. I mostly recall stadium announcer Bill Short (local Madison fm radio announcer) telling the audience, "Shame on you!!" when they booed the announcement of Star's 1st place. I had never previously experienced anything like that in my many years of drum corps.

Haha...and what was the deal with the Devs throwing Jolly Ranchers into our block. I could never tell if they were trying to share, or trying to hit us, or if they were already too drunk to know the difference lol...weird how I haven't thought about that since then.

Oh and the "impossible" parts might've been what attracted our staff to Rite ;)

I thought it was the Cavaliers who threw the Jolly Ranchers during retreat.

Dude, I remember setting up for the opener in Rockford in '87 (of all years). This is the stadium that had a sideline extremely close to the crowd. There was a quiet and reserved grandmother type sitting in the front row (about 10' from me, as I recall). She smiled at us until we hit the downbeat of the fanfare, and then gave us the biggest two-handed "FU" shaking green finger I have ever seen. It was epic and instantly helped me get into the proper state of mind for the program.

We learned later that a local Rockford DJ had been stirring the pot for the week previous to the show and apparently grandma was an avid listener.

Scooter,

I also remember the grandmother doing that at the Rockford show. I guess we blew heer hearing aids out.....lol

I was also at the 92 Preview show in Nashville, and I do remember some rude comments from the people around me. I just figured they were

jeolous and tried to let it go.

Tony