Pioneer 2010

It would be nice to hit the road for the second season with a full corps. We have a couple health related drop outs in the brass line. It looked as if we were finally full, and injuries took their toll.

I would love to see one lead trumpet, one baritone, and one tuba fill this line up at 54. Talk to me about the dues and we can possibly work something out!

I am home for the holidays and my DCA Alumni duties!

Donny

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought I would post a review/critique of Pioneer's show.

Cedarburg July 1

What a big difference one week makes.

Ensemble brass has greatly improved since the show last Saturday in Madison. I am impressed by the rich sound they are producing. Stamina is still a problem but is getting much better. You can tell these kids want it this year. Great horn book and the crowd digs it.

Percussion is cooking. Full line once the additional cymbal players are worked in. No chance to water anything down so they have their work cut out cleaning it up. They will do it.

Front ensemble has a great opportunity to grab the audience in the pre-show/opener. I was kind of disappointed that the showmanship hasn't improved since last weekend. The Hammond B3 organ and drumset really need to loosen up and drive home the revival feel. Come on, take me to church!

Which leads me to...count much? I'm sure there were some words about the opening brass hit. It just doesn't have the right impact if heads are popping up all over the place. Work it out. Ignore the announcer.

Guard. I think the guard ladies have alot of pressure on them. Because of their small size they need to have the impact of 2.5 ladies. That's a big load to carry.

Let's go for small is beautiful. You're well integrated into the drill and it looks like your book has the demand of a world class corps. Basics, basics, basics. Once everyone is on the same page you will start to sell it. Vets, please take the new arrivals under your wings. What a great chance to prove that a guard doesn't need to have 30+ members.

You have a great program this year. I think with the up coming rehearsal days you have a Pioneer Land you can work out some of the weak spots. Rehearse attentively and with passion. The audiences will eat you up.

Better every day.

Love,

B

I think your review is right on. This show has the potential to blow the crowd away. Believe they are getting there but also understand that the drill is much more complex than last year and the music is great. I agree with the guard but Pioneer seems to have some problems recruiting in this area. They are much better this year than last but, as you said, they have a ways to go.

All in all, we should be very happy where they are at this point in the season. They are scoring higher on the 1st of July than they did before Regionals last year in San Antonio.

Work hard this weekend and we will see great improvement in the next few weeks. Congratulations, Pioneer. You are a special group of people. BETTER EVERY DAY!!! :thumbdown:

We have some additions for second tour that should make a difference in our score. It will still come down to execution, but I think that the shows has enough legs to push for a higher placement once it gets cleaned up. I have to be reminded that being patient can pay off big towards the end of the season.

DA

I thought I would post a review/critique of Pioneer's show.

Cedarburg July 1

What a big difference one week makes.

Ensemble brass has greatly improved since the show last Saturday in Madison. I am impressed by the rich sound they are producing. Stamina is still a problem but is getting much better. You can tell these kids want it this year. Great horn book and the crowd digs it.

Percussion is cooking. Full line once the additional cymbal players are worked in. No chance to water anything down so they have their work cut out cleaning it up. They will do it.

Front ensemble has a great opportunity to grab the audience in the pre-show/opener. I was kind of disappointed that the showmanship hasn't improved since last weekend. The Hammond B3 organ and drumset really need to loosen up and drive home the revival feel. Come on, take me to church!

Which leads me to...count much? I'm sure there were some words about the opening brass hit. It just doesn't have the right impact if heads are popping up all over the place. Work it out. Ignore the announcer.

Guard. I think the guard ladies have alot of pressure on them. Because of their small size they need to have the impact of 2.5 ladies. That's a big load to carry.

Let's go for small is beautiful. You're well integrated into the drill and it looks like your book has the demand of a world class corps. Basics, basics, basics. Once everyone is on the same page you will start to sell it. Vets, please take the new arrivals under your wings. What a great chance to prove that a guard doesn't need to have 30+ members.

You have a great program this year. I think with the up coming rehearsal days you have a Pioneer Land you can work out some of the weak spots. Rehearse attentively and with passion. The audiences will eat you up.

Better every day.

Love,

B

Great review. I have now had the opportunity to see Pioneer live 3 times this season, and am very excited about their show this year. This is definitely one of their best programs since the late 90's. Great sounding hornline, guard is small but very good, and percussion is still strong but not overbalancing the hornline like some years.

I have always enjoyed Pioneer, but have to admit I kind of like this new direction. When I hear their opener, I get a Spirit Of Atlanta feeling. When I hear their ballad, it really reminds me of Santa Clara Vanguard.

Drill is definitely better than anything they have done in the last 8 years, although several of the members seem a little tentative. I think as the season goes on it will clear up, and everything will look fine. And although I haven't seen a lot of the corps live, and have only seen the fan network videos of several corps, I really think they could be challenging corps like Mandarins, Teal Sound, Jersey Surf, and possibly even Troopers by the end of the season. But regardless of placement this year, so far they have my vote for most improved corps from last year.

And for those of you who have missed the early corps in quarterfinals, I really think we are not only going to have one of the most competitive 18-23 placing of corps, but possibly one of the best top to bottom years in DCI history. Even some of the smaller Open Class corps are really improving over years passed. Colt Cadets and Racine Scouts had some of their best shows ever in Dubuque this last week.

Best wishes to Pioneer, and whether you place 13th or 23rd come finals week, you have put on an awesome show this year, and I really hope people make it there a little earlier finals week to see your great show.

GO PIONEER!!!!!

Great review. I have now had the opportunity to see Pioneer live 3 times this season, and am very excited about their show this year. This is definitely one of their best programs since the late 90's. Great sounding hornline, guard is small but very good, and percussion is still strong but not overbalancing the hornline like some years.

I have always enjoyed Pioneer, but have to admit I kind of like this new direction. When I hear their opener, I get a Spirit Of Atlanta feeling. When I hear their ballad, it really reminds me of Santa Clara Vanguard.

Drill is definitely better than anything they have done in the last 8 years, although several of the members seem a little tentative. I think as the season goes on it will clear up, and everything will look fine. And although I haven't seen a lot of the corps live, and have only seen the fan network videos of several corps, I really think they could be challenging corps like Mandarins, Teal Sound, Jersey Surf, and possibly even Troopers by the end of the season. But regardless of placement this year, so far they have my vote for most improved corps from last year.

And for those of you who have missed the early corps in quarterfinals, I really think we are not only going to have one of the most competitive 18-23 placing of corps, but possibly one of the best top to bottom years in DCI history. Even some of the smaller Open Class corps are really improving over years passed. Colt Cadets and Racine Scouts had some of their best shows ever in Dubuque this last week.

Best wishes to Pioneer, and whether you place 13th or 23rd come finals week, you have put on an awesome show this year, and I really hope people make it there a little earlier finals week to see your great show.

GO PIONEER!!!!!

I totally agree. This show is exciting. My son has marched Pioneer for 2 years. It is hard to believe that several members of this corps have never played an instrument or never marched before, not to mention several of them don't speak a word of English! It is unbelievable to me. I have watched Pioneer since their first camp in December. We knew something was different this year. The staff and members work so hard.....they have too. Someone once asked me, "do they really think they can make semi-finals"? Hell yes they think they can......! Pioneer has alot of talented kids who could march anywhere, but choose not too. These kids amaze me. When I watch them practice, which I do alot, I walk away amazed. I know all the corps work their butts off, but the members and staff of Pioneer have to fight so hard and they do every single day. They had a free day for a few hours yesterday and when I pulled up to drop my son off who was one of the lucky ones to be able to go home to shower and eat, the guard was turning flags and the drum line was across the street practicing too! Good luck Pioneer and like someone said earlier, it dosn't matter if you take 13th or 23rd.......you have made so many fans of drum corps proud. Your show is awesome and you all have so much to be proud of!

We have been spending bun buster day with Pioneer. It was really cool to see the people of Cedarburg WI welcome the corps back "home". They really love the corps there.

We have really enjoyed spending time with this great group of kids . :tongue:

Bun buster day includes 3 long parades and a standstill exhibition to raise travel funds for the bigger tour coming up. I talked to my son and he said everything is OK.

I am glad people like the show, a lot of thought and hard work went into it. If the kids are willing to keep working as hard as they have been, we will get better every day.

Donny

We are shooting for the Naperville show to bust out with the new threads and other elements not in the show as of yet. We have some rehearsal days with no shows coming up and we are looking forward to getting all the students in the show.

We still will add a trumpet player, baritone and tuba in the brass line, 2 experienced guard members, and an experienced cymbal player if they come this week.

Donny

I'm liking what I see of the front of the jacket in the second picture. Can't wait to see pioneer at Allentown.