Alternative to G7 proposal

I’m trying to write an alternative proposal to the G7s. I need some background information. I know in the past the top 25 corps qualified to become voting members of DCI. Is that still true? Also in looking at the DCI website I only see 23 world class corps and 24 open class corps. Does this mean there are less than 50 drum corps left in the US?

Thanks in advance

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Also in looking at the DCI website I only see 23 world class corps and 24 open class corps. Does this mean there are less than 50 drum corps left in the US?

DCI is not the only corps game around; they just pretend to be The Major League. There are a plethera of corps' in DCA as well as the growing SDCA; and although local corps have declined over the years, there are still some local commuity corps that do local stuff like parades. I agree with you that the G7 proposal would be damaging to DCI, and I commend you on attempting to create a counter proposal, but the drum corps sky is not actually falling; just a thunderstorm is brewing in DCI.

Edited by Stu

DCI is not the only corps game around; they just pretend to be The Major League. There are a plethera of corps' in DCA as well as the growing SDCA; and although local corps have declined over the years, there are still some local commuity corps that do local stuff like parades. I agree with you that the G7 proposal would be damaging to DCI, and I commend you on attempting to create a counter proposal, but the drum corps sky is not actually falling; just a thunderstorm is brewing in DCI.

I guess my statement should have been clearer. Since the G7 proposal is about control of junior corps, I’m also referring to junior corps. Also, what is SDCA?

I guess my statement should have been clearer. Since the G7 proposal is about control of junior corps, I’m also referring to junior corps. Also, what is SDCA?

SDCA: Small Drum Corps Associates. It is an organization attempting to get back to the roots of local non-competitive drum corps shows with most performances occurring in gymnasiums. Right now it is mainly in the north and somewhat east. I am personally not that interested because I like the competition of DCI and DCA, but it is a great alternative to those who like non-competitive local drum corps. Here is a link:

http://cdraferrara.tripod.com/

I’m trying to write an alternative proposal to the G7s. I need some background information. I know in the past the top 25 corps qualified to become voting members of DCI. Is that still true? Also in looking at the DCI website I only see 23 world class corps and 24 open class corps. Does this mean there are less than 50 drum corps left in the US?

Thanks in advance

When DCI was formed in 1972, only the top 12 corps ("Full Members") could vote on anything. Corps 13-25 ("Associate Members") could "sit at the table", but couldn't vote. Corps 26 and lower (I don't remember how many corps ... but I do remember there were 3 days of prelims ... with none of this Quarters/Prelims stuff) weren't even allowed at the DCI meetings.

Also, in 1972, DCI also had an "All-Girls" Championship, separate from the A-Corps (now World) championship. I don't know their participation ... probably none.

When DCI was formed in 1972, only the top 12 corps ("Full Members") could vote on anything. Corps 13-25 ("Associate Members") could "sit at the table", but couldn't vote. Corps 26 and lower (I don't remember how many corps ... but I do remember there were 3 days of prelims ... with none of this Quarters/Prelims stuff) weren't even allowed at the DCI meetings.

Also, in 1972, DCI also had an "All-Girls" Championship, separate from the A-Corps (now World) championship. I don't know their participation ... probably none.

Thanks for the info. I had a feeling that only the top 12 had a vote, but wasn't sure. Does DCI still operate under the same premise? If not, what is the new rules?

According to corps reps, in 1975 there were 10 all girl corps participating in prelims. Looks like the last year for the all girl division was 82, with three corps. Some of those corps went on to participate in the A Class division after.

Thanks for the info. I had a feeling that only the top 12 had a vote, but wasn't sure. Does DCI still operate under the same premise? If not, what is the new rules?

al of the Wc corps can vote now, except for new members, I think they may have a waiting period. in the case of some votes, it goes to the BOD who is 9 memmbers