What's going on...?

I don't think it should have been a surprise to anybody about the number of competing units this past weekend. That dead horse has been beaten to a pulp. As for this coming weekend, Wayne might only have four corps appearing-but there is another show which has five-I don't know about "BITD", were there two DCA shows running the same night within a reasonable proximity? If we drop one of those shows and everybody competed at the other, that's nine competing corps-and that's only in the northeast. Are MBI, Govies, Chops, Renegades, Dream, Alliance, etc. performing in DCI shows this weekend? I agree that the economy sucks and it has necessitated belt tightening and a little better pre-planning, but I still think the DCA equation is working and I only wish DCA had it's own version of the "Fan Network" like DCI so I wouldn't have to wait until Mission Drums or Rah-cha-cha!

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think it should have been a surprise to anybody about the number of competing units this past weekend. That dead horse has been beaten to a pulp. As for this coming weekend, Wayne might only have four corps appearing-but there is another show which has five-I don't know about "BITD", were there two DCA shows running the same night within a reasonable proximity? If we drop one of those shows and everybody competed at the other, that's nine competing corps-and that's only in the northeast. Are MBI, Govies, Chops, Renegades, Dream, Alliance, etc. performing in DCI shows this weekend? I agree that the economy sucks and it has necessitated belt tightening and a little better pre-planning, but I still think the DCA equation is working and I only wish DCA had it's own version of the "Fan Network" like DCI so I wouldn't have to wait until Mission Drums or Rah-cha-cha!

because I really don't know....................is the Fan Network a live feed?

because I really don't know....................is the Fan Network a live feed?

They do some shows as a live feed, mainly the big shows and regionals, but there is much more of what is called "VOD", video on demand. They choose a number of locations throughout the tour, record the shows, and post them to the FN within a day or two. At that point, the subscriber can choose which of the performances he/she wants to see, can watch the same one ten times in a row if they're so inclined, in any oder they want, and not watch any of those they don't want to. You can go to a specific corps, and all of their VOD's for the year so far are available, so if you want you can watch the first show of the year and the most recent performance to see what may have changed or how their cleaning is coming along. They also have archives of the finalist performances, by year, going back to the first DCI championships. When DCA corps or alumni corps perform at DCI shows that were recorded for Fan Network, those corps' videos ARE available-for example, I've seen Alliance, CorpsVets and Renegades so far-but sadly, no Empire, Cabs, Bucs, Hurcs, MBI.

Tom, I agree.

I do understand what Andy is saying here.... but the big regular-season lineups, the years I marched, were usually reserved for either a DCA Regional show, or the junior/senior combo shows like The Dream.

On the other hand, Andy's "back in the day" is WAY before my "back in the day." :tongue:

One of these days, Haring, I'm gonna smack you with my walker!!!

You think it's easy being in drum corps at my age???? Try to find a pair of orthopedic Dinkles!!! Or the pressure of remembering to take the Serutan AFTER the show, not BEFORE!! Or being concerned about whether dentures can be considered to be "dropped equipment." Or being sure to give a copy of my medical record to the ambulance crew before the show. Or of wearing my Guess Who badge on the field, with my Medicare card taped to it. Or of being sure that my signalling device that says, "Help, I've fallen and I can't get up!" doesn't show through my uniform shirt.

It ain't easy, Fran!!!

One of these days, Haring, I'm gonna smack you with my walker!!!

You think it's easy being in drum corps at my age???? Try to find a pair of orthopedic Dinkles!!! Or the pressure of remembering to take the Serutan AFTER the show, not BEFORE!! Or being concerned about whether dentures can be considered to be "dropped equipment." Or being sure to give a copy of my medical record to the ambulance crew before the show. Or of wearing my Guess Who badge on the field, with my Medicare card taped to it. Or of being sure that my signalling device that says, "Help, I've fallen and I can't get up!" doesn't show through my uniform shirt.

It ain't easy, Fran!!!

:tongue::worthy::smile:

Heh.... a couple of years ago, someone on one of the DCI threads on DCP referred to a year in the mid-1990s as "back in the day." I suddenly felt very old. :smile:

It wasn't to long ago that a typical show that the Crusaders would go to had the following corps....Crusaders, Gennies, Statesmen and Brigs. Those 4 corps were in 4 or 5 shows until August when we would head toward the East coast and see Hurcs, Bush, Cabs and Reading. It got kinda old seeing the same corps and I am sure they all felt the same way. Heck, we all knew what place we were going to take. I could actually come darn close to what all the scores would be.......once you hear the first corps score you count how many points you went up from the week before.

For instance....if Cru scored and 80.2 and the next show they scored an 83.5 it was pretty safe to say (more than 75% of the time) that all the other corps would go up at least 3 points.

Personally I hated going to the shows because we would compete against the same corps and it was disappointing to come in third , knowing that was where we would be.

...Are MBI, Govies, Chops, Renegades, Dream, Alliance, etc. performing in DCI shows this weekend? I agree that the economy sucks and it has necessitated belt tightening and a little better pre-planning, but I still think the DCA equation is working and I only wish DCA had it's own version of the "Fan Network" like DCI so I wouldn't have to wait until Mission Drums or Rah-cha-cha!

I'm pretty sure both MBI and the Govenaires will be on the DCI Fan Network for the July 17th DCI super show in Minneapolis. They are on in the middle of the show, just before the top 12.

Edited by Ron H

Were there corps in California, Texas, the South, Colorado, and more in the "dark ages?" I don't think so. The activity is growing and is healthy... it has just migrated outside of the northeast a bit more. I believe this is MUCH better than it was. For the long term survival of DCA, it is important corps appear throughout the country. There are regions that now have as many corps at shows as the northeast!

We don't need you telling us how to run our circuit. If you want to start up corps in the south or on the moon we do not give a crap. Just quit telling us what we need to do to fix things. We know how to survive.

We don't need you telling us how to run our circuit. If you want to start up corps in the south or on the moon we do not give a crap. Just quit telling us what we need to do to fix things. We know how to survive.

Good to hear!!! I predict corps on the moon by 2080!! Until then enjoy!! especially all your bickering jeez DCP home of the everyone has a solution to someone else's problem...and I vote for Tom Allen!!! Yep stole the thread!!! Bad me eh Stork!!!