RIP Jim Ott

RIP. One absolute DC legend. :smile:

The push of Let It Be Me (pick any year played) still resonates in my mind daily. :tongue:

I also fondly recall Spirit of JSU's show with the 27th Lancers, Bridgemen, Gail Royer, and Jim Ott (and others?) flags.

Zingali (SP?) was the other one

Ott_Flag.jpg

Blue Devils - Jim Ott Memorial- recorded today in Henderson, CO.

BD Mediabox - free video

Way to go Devs... First class. :smile:

RIP Jim...

Edited by trumpetcam

Blue Devils - Jim Ott Memorial- recorded today in Henderson, CO.

BD Mediabox - free video

Way to go Devs... First class. :smile:

RIP Jim...

I just watched the vid. Beautiful tribute!

Many people don’t realize that Jim was a member of SCV in 1971. He played mellophone and had to leave mid-season to help the Commodores.Here are a couple bits of SCV trivia for you. Jim’s replacement in ’71 was Stanley Knaub who many credit as being the father of the modern color guard. Also in ’71 both Jim and Wayne Downey were members of the SCV horn line.

Edited by oldskl3rings
  • Like 1

RIP - to a real drum corps legend...and an inspiration to many.

Edited by Paq
  • Like 1

I just watched the vid. Beautiful tribute!

Many people don’t realize that Jim was a member of SCV in 1971. He played mellophone and had to leave mid-season to help the Commodores.Here are a couple bits of SCV trivia for you. Jim’s replacement in ’71 was Stanley Knaub who many credit as being the father of the modern color guard. Also in ’71 both Jim and Wayne Downey were members of the SCV horn line.

The talent that marched that year - Jim Ott, Stanley Knaub, and Wayne Downey and let by the legendary Gail Royer. Those who marched those years were truly blessed to be among such talented people.

RIP - Jim, Gail & Stanley!

• Like 1

Thirty years? Wow. I remember it as if it was last season.

I was at Whitewater that Saturday and couldn't believe the corps was on the field.

And in Birmingham for the World Championships, I will never forget the following: People were allowed into the back stands to put up banners. Fans took to spelling out their favorite corps just before those corps were to perform in prelims, utilizing the difference in color between seats that were up and seats that were down. Then a group spelled out "JIM OTT." After that, no one touched the impromptu "shrine" and those seats stayed that way through the rest of prelims and finals.

Quite a testament to the respect the fans had for an original who was irreplaceable.

• Like 1

Seems appropriate to post this photo of 1980 Spirit of Atlanta here; it's from the 1981 DCI calendar:

spirit1980.jpg

RIP to one of the greatest legends in drum corps.

• Like 1

And in Birmingham for the World Championships, I will never forget the following: People were allowed into the back stands to put up banners. Fans took to spelling out their favorite corps just before those corps were to perform in prelims, utilizing the difference in color between seats that were up and seats that were down. Then a group spelled out "JIM OTT." After that, no one touched the impromptu "shrine" and those seats stayed that way through the rest of prelims and finals.

You can see the "JIM" here during Spirit's performance, and his complete name spelled out during BD's show (photos by Bonnie Harmon):

1980spirit04.jpg

1980bluedevils18.jpg