[edit:computer problems again, again. Sorry!]

Edited by skajerk

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[edit:computer problems again. Sorry!]

Edited by skajerk

Guys, please keep Matt's wife in your thoughts today (7/14). It's her birthday, which is probably the last thing on her mind. She needs to know she is being thought of.

Some progress! Here's the latest:

WEDNESDAY, JULY 14, 2010 2:43 PM, PDT

Good Afternoon,

Matt has definitely made some progress today.

First, Matt is awake. It is important to understand that Matt is at a higher level of consciousness than he has been, he is not awake and alert as you and I are right now. His eyes are open and he can respond to voices and simple commands. He is highly groggy. When Matt is fully conscious in the future, he will most likely not remember the state he is in now, or the voices and commands, although they are helping him. This is great news, but I just want to be clear about what "awake" means at this point of the process.

We can definitely be happy, and thankful of this progress. I just wanted to be sure to explain what Matt's "being awake" means. He's not fully up and aware/alert... yet. :)

Some other positive news; Matt is breathing on his own with minimal support.

They are stopping visitation for awhile, and probably the rest of the day, so that Matt does not become over stimulated. This will help him settle into the next stage, so that he can continue strong progress.

*Although you may not be able to see Matt today, if you were planning on going to the hospital, you can still visit with his family in the waiting room. Today is Laura's birthday, so stop by and give her some love! Matt's is doing his best to give her a good day! :)

The medical staff told Laura, that Matt is doing better today than anticipated. Great Job Matty! Keep it up!

Again, this is progress that we can be happy about, and be proud of Matt for. In the beginning I just wanted to try to clarify what "awake" means.

So, it looks like Matt is getting the opener down... onto learning the ballad!

Happy Birthday Laura! :thumbup:

Please know that you and Matt are in our thoughts and prayers.

Hang tough and pass along our kindest regards to Matt for a speedy recovery.

It just keeps getting better!! Here's the latest:

WEDNESDAY, JULY 14, 2010 11:22 PM, CDT

Hello!

Matt is still making progress this evening! He is still awake, and a little more aware than this afternoon. He is still at a low level of consciousness, and is in a very groggy, dream like state. His visitation is still limited as to not overstimulate him.

Although Matt is off of sedation, his body has not released it all. Since he has been on such heavy doses for a week, it will be a process for him to be fully conscious and aware. We are told that each individual responds differently, and it could even take up to a week.

Matt's breathing tubes and ventilator are out!

He is still responding well, and can even say his name! He can move both sides of his body currently, with the right side being a little weaker.

He is on some pain medication still, and they will probably give him some form of sedation to help him get some rest tonight after such a big day.

His blood pressure is still a little high, but good for his condition, and they are working to gradually bring it down and keep it under control.

This is all amazing and wonderful, but we have to remember we are not out of the woods yet, so keep your prayers, love, and positive energy coming!! As I have repeated, Matt is doing a great job of fighting, but you are helping him, so please continue!!

With the given situation, and circumstance, Matt is working to give Laura a good birthday... That's love! :)

I'm not sure how many of you out there are keeping track of all this. To you that are... thank you so much for all the support! Still a long way to go, but thank you!

Edited by skajerk

THURSDAY, JULY 15, 2010 12:03 PM, PDT

Good Afternoon Matt Supporters!

Just wanted to let you know that Matt is still doing well, and making some progress. He is awake again today, which is wonderful, but he is still in the same state of consciousness he was in yesterday.

Matt is experiencing a little agitation, and we are told that this is normal. He doesn't like the tubes in his body and is feeling a little discomfort. They do have him on pain medication to help with his discomfort of course. Matt's family is asking that along with all of the prayers you are already sending out, to help specifically pray for Matt to be less agitated. If he can stay settled, this will help his blood pressure, and bring down the chances of him interfering with his tubes, mainly the drainage tubes in his head. If he happens to get those pulled, it would be a set back. He is doing pretty well now, and the medical staff is doing a great job of making sure he stays safe, but we just wanted to ask that you keep his agitation in mind while praying, because it will definitely help him in his process if we can keep that down.

Matt is able to eat ice chips at this time, and will be getting some speech therapy to help him with his swallowing.

Visitation is still limited to the immediate family at this time for Matt. However, I as I previously mentioned, please come and visit the family and friends in the waiting room. It has really helped Matt's parents and Laura in this process and they enjoy seeing and meeting all of the visitors. They will also definitely let Matt know you are there.

I am happy to report that Laura had a great birthday yesterday, with all of the progress made by Matt, then it ended with a wonderful, warm surprise party for her at the Carroll's. :)

Thank you for continuing the love and support! I can't wait for Matt to see all the love you have sent. I know he has felt it and you are helping him, but I can't wait for him to be able to read all that you have written to him! Keep it coming!

FRIDAY, JULY 16, 2010 2:49 PM, PDT

Hi,

Today Matt is still doing well. We are still in the same process of waiting for him to become more lucid, and to try to keep his agitation down. The medical staff is also trying to keep his blood pressure down and stable, and it can be affected by his level of agitation.

As I mentioned, this time period lasts different lengths of time for each individual, and we have no timeline for this, he is where he is, and we will be patient and go with the flow. He is still breathing on his own and is being a little feisty. :)

Joy got a good strong hug from him today, and she was really happy about that.

He is still fighting, and we still need your thoughts and prayers! We are still very proud of him for all that he is accomplishing, as well as fighting to come back to us. So keep the love coming, and we shall all be patient. I hope I have more progress to report soon!

Also, same as the past couple of days, you are more than welcome to come and visit in the waiting room with friends and family, but Matt's visitation is still limited. However, everyone, especially Matt's wife and parents, are enjoying the company, support, and well wishes!