URGENT PRAYERS NEEDED FOR MATT CARROLL

With the mods permission, (thanks, Krista!), I am reposting this in the OC forums. The original thread in the OT forum can be found here: http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/inde...howtopic=137690

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Los Hooligans brother, Matt Carroll, who marched 1993-94 SCV Cadets, 1995-97 SCV (mello), former instructor for Fever and current member of Los Hooligans, is in the hospital and in dire need of all your support!

Tuesday morning (July 6) he woke up early very sick (severe nausea, headaches etc.). He was taken to emergency in Modesto, CA where they discovered he had had a brain hemorrhage. He is currently in an induced coma and from what I have heard, the news isn’t good. They will be performing a scan later this morning and he needs all the support he can get.

To make matters worse, he just got married 18 days ago!

PLEASE keep both he and his new wife, Laura, in your prayers!

Thank You!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is the latest update from the family via Facebook:

For those of you that didn't get an initial update, Matt suffered a brain hemorrhage around 4am yesterday, (7/06/10). He went into the the ER at that time and has been in the hospital's care since then. After testing, he was admitted into ICU 2:30ish pm. He is still there, and we are waiting for the bleeding to stop and that hopefully it will begin to heal itself. As of this morning: Matt has had a CT scan. There is no change, which is good, because that means the bleeding is not increasing, and there is no digression in his condition. Also, while changing a throat tube Matt's gag reflexes must have kicked in because he reached up for the tube... This is also great news that gives us hope of brain activity. Our Matt is fighting! This afternoon the neurosurgeon will have an update for the family, and if there is change, we will do another update. Matt has been sedated since procedures began, and will remain sedated. However, Laura and family are able to talk to him and pass on how amazing your love and support has been, so keep it up! Keep your thoughts, love, prayer, and energy coming... He can feel it! Thank you!! -Shavon
Edited by skajerk

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With the mods permission, (thanks, Krista!), I am reposting this in the OC forums. The original thread in the OT forum can be found here: http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/inde...howtopic=137690

A good friend of mine, Matt Carroll, who marched 1993-94 SCV Cadets, 1995-97 SCV (mello), former instructor for Fever and current member of Los Hooligans, is in the hospital and in dire need of all your support!

Tuesday morning (July 6) he woke up early very sick (severe nausea, headaches etc.). He was taken to emergency in Modesto, CA where they discovered he had had a brain hemorrhage. He is currently in an induced coma and from what I have heard, the news isn’t good. They will be performing a scan later this morning and he needs all the support he can get.

To make matters worse, he just got married 18 days ago!

PLEASE keep both he and his new wife, Laura, in your prayers!

Thank You!

Here is the latest update from the family via Facebook:

Me and my family offer our thoughts and prayers his way. We wish for him a speedy and painfree recovery...

Matt has done great things in the course of his professional music career.

When I was in high school, he took over as assistant band director and redefined my school's (Herbert Hoover High School) marching band program from the ground up. The orchestra director was appointed to all band classes, and if it weren't for Matt, the music program may have suffered. The next year, Matt decided to student teach at that same school. I was fortunate enough to have Matt as an instructor my Junior and Senior year of High School ('00-'01/'01-'02) and as an advisor/instructor while marching with the Fresno State Bulldog Marching Band. I'll admit, Matt got the SCV marching style and principles through to at least one student, if not many.

When he started teaching at Bullard High School I had moved back to Los Angeles, in which I assumed he still teaches there.

Matt, I want you to know that I still carry those values you taught me and have used those very same values and the same marching style during my 6 years as a Brass and Marching Caption, helping rebuild a program just as you did for mine. I'm also fortunate enough to have helped found an open class drum corps (Incognito) and am now on my second year with the Velvet Knights.

You WILL pull through. If you can make this kind of an impact in one person's life, fate has placed you here to continue to inspire and educate for many many more years to come. You are in my prayers.

Roger G.

Herber Hoover HS, Fresno, CA. 1998-2002 Trumpet

Fresno State Marching Band, Fresno, CA. 2002-2004 Trumpet

Brea Olinda HS, Brea, CA. 2005-2010 Brass & Marching Caption

Incognito Drum and Bugle Corps 2007-2008 Marching Caption

Velvet Knights Drum and Bugle Corps 2009-2010 Brass Instructor

Hang in there MATT !!! :tongue:

You are in our thoughts and prayers !!!!

Your CANADIAN Drum Corps brothers and sisters !!

+1

Wasn't sure how many would post in here so I've only been updating the thread in the WC and OT forums, Since some are, and especially because of Roger's post (yes, he's still the director at Bullard HS).

These are the latest updates from yesterday. Nothing new has been posted today. I take that as a good sign:

FRIDAY, JULY 9, 2010 12:28 PM, PDT

Good Afternoon, there have not been any changes to update at the moment, however we do have some positive things that we know you all would like to hear about Matt.

- The doctor has ordered "range of motion." This means that the nurses are to exercise Matt's limbs and work on his range of motion. The nurses say this is a good sign, because the doctor is preparing him for recovery. :)

- Yesterday (7/8/10), at 1am they begin to feed matt via feeding tube to his stomach.

- Matt was also taken off of the medication for hypertension, which means that his blood pressure is stabilizing, and that his blood pressure is responding well to treatment. These are important things that need to happen towards recovery!

- Matt's motor skills and reflexes are still reacting strongly, and his sedation medication has been adjusted accordingly. We know he's still being a fighter!

Here are some terms, that we just wanted to post for you all, because we know that the more you know, the better you can understand Matt's condition. We all know you care so much and want the most accurate information. We will try to do this as often as possible-

Hemorrhage: 1. An escape of blood from the intravascular space.

2. To bleed.

- Aneurysm: (MATT DID NOT HAVE AN ANEURYSM). We know that this is what many of you have heard, and we just wanted to make sure and clarify for you).

(Aneurysm) - is a localized, blood-filled dilation (balloon-like bulge) of a blood vessel caused by disease or weakening of the vessel wall.

- Brain Ventricle: One of a system of four communicating cavities within the brain that are continuous with the central canal of the spinal cord.

* This is where Matt's hemorrhage occurred, on the left side of his brain. (An Intraventricular Bleed, or IV for short.)

These are just a few terms that will hopefully give you some more information and give you a little more insight. These are of course just general definitions, and here are some sites that may be beneficial:

WebMD.com

Medicinenet.com

Medical-dictionary.com

We know that you are all anxious for updates, so if and when there are changes, or needs for updates we will definitely get that information to you ASAP. In the mean time, some advice we were given from one of Matt's wonderful nurses is this:

There is no use in being anxious, as we (family and friends) don't have control over the situation. We don't know what will happen in the future, but we should all rest easy that Matt is receiving the best care to optimize what he will do in the future.

We are still waiting, so stay positive and we will keep you posted. I strongly believe Matt's positive strides are happening because of the energy you are all sending! Keep sending your love, prayers, and thoughts!

FRIDAY, JULY 9, 2010 10:50 PM, PDT

Hello Matt Supporters,

I just wanted to write a note, to answer a couple of the questions I have been getting:

Where to send gifts/flowers:

Matt cannot have flowers and most gifts in his room since he is still in the ICU. Our camp is pretty much set up in the waiting room, so it also makes it difficult to receive, or keep flowers/gifts around. So you can send flowers etc., to his parent's house, and they and Laura can enjoy them, and make sure Matt knows the love you send!

**Also, Joy, Matt's mother has suggested, that in lieu of sending a gift, perhaps you would like to make a donation to Matt's Band program at Bullard High School.

Here is the address for flowers, etc.:

(You may address to any of the Carrolls')

6719 River Terrace

Riverbank, Ca 95367

Many of you have been messaging me and emailing me, and I greatly appreciate your thoughts, ideas, and suggestions. Thank you so much for your support and concern...

I can tell you again, that Matt's wife and family are extremely, moved, and find a great deal of support in your kind words you send and visits with them. Please continue to do so. This is truly an amazing family.

Visiting hours are still the same as previously posted, and again if you have questions about that, I can answer them. I am also enjoying uploading the pictures you have emailed me, it has been great! If you haven't yet, email me one of you and Matt to post in the photo section. :)

Thank you again, keep the healing power coming!

The latest:

SATURDAY, JULY 10, 2010 3:39 PM, PDT

Good Afternoon!

During the Doctor's rounds earlier today, he informed us that Matt is still stable and has had no change. No worsening in the condition is still good!

It is still too soon to do another CT Scan, so in an effort to be able to run more tests as soon as possible, they are going to bring down his sedation to see if his blood pressure can remain stable. Last time they tried this his blood pressure did rise just a little bit, but this time around, so far so good! This means that Matt has been brought a little closer to consciousness, and if he can maintain his stability, they will be able to do more investigative testing on the brain. We will keep you posted of all of the progress as we get it.

Also, he gave Laura's hands a nice strong squeeze today with both of his hands! :)

Progress is being made... and as always, I want to remind you, that you all have so much to do with it, please continue with your love, energy, support, and prayers. It's working!

I'll update again as soon as we have more.

Still a long ways to go, but it sounds like he's fighting! Here's the latest:

SATURDAY, JULY 10, 2010 10:47 PM, PDT

Good Evening, Here is tonight's update:

Matt is now fully off of sedation and we are waiting for him to regain consciousness. As previously mentioned, we want Matt to regain consciousness so that the doctor may perform further tests and a new CT scan while Matt has brain activity.

Also as previously reported, last time Matt's sedation was brought down, his blood pressure began to rise, so he was put back under the heavy sedation. This time, (today) Matt did very well, and although there were some fluctuations throughout the process, Matt's blood pressure has been stabilized, without any sedation. This is great news! Furthermore, The pressure has reduced from his head, and although he still has the ventilator, he is breathing on his own.

While trying to coax him into consciousness, and asking Matt questions, his family members and Laura witnessed him nod his head slightly "yes".

The medical staff would like Matt to wear shoes most of the time, so you will be happy to know he's rocking his favorite kicks... that's right, his Chuck Taylor's! ;)

At this point we are waiting for him to regain consciousness, and we hope it happens anytime soon!

Matt's family would like me to remind you, that although we are seeing progress, and we can be thankful and celebrate, this is only the beginning, and we can't stop praying, and sending Matt loving thoughts and positive energy. Even though this is good news and he is fighting, it is still a waiting process, and he needs our support to help him win this battle. Please don't stop!

Not only have I had the honor to witness the love of many towards Matt, and realize more than ever the countless lives he has touched, I have gotten to witness this amazing family that Matt is lucky enough to have. Their faith is undying and an example to us all. That, combined with what you are all doing to help and the love you are sending Matt's way is undoubtedly working wonders. Let's keep coming together for this wonderful person, and my dear friend Matt!

The latest:

SUNDAY, JULY 11, 2010 12:53 PM, PDT

Hello, Here is this afternoon's update;

At around midnight last night, Matt opened an eye and the other one was "coaxed" open. His blood pressure spiked up a bit when that happen, so Matt was put back under sedation. While under sedation, (and he still is), Matt's blood pressure medication was adjusted and now his blood pressure is doing very well. We will wait to see when they begin to lower sedation again.

Matt is STILL showing progress. It is just going to be a process, and it still means waiting and being patient for all of us. The medical staff is working diligently to provide Matt with all he needs.

To bring him to consciousness and stabilize him further, the process of adjustments is necessary, so we are still moving forward!

It is so wonderful to have new support messages, texts, emails, and pictures sent each day for the family to enjoy. Please keep them coming.

Thank you again everyone!