Pioneer vs. ?

Good suggestion, thank you. Can I ask you to mail or call Pioneer if your have suggestions? Contact details on www.pioneer-corps.org

Anyone from the Pioneer organization is free to PM me at any time. I'll give you my phone number and we can talk at length and I can get you any contacts you need.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone from the Pioneer organization is free to PM me at any time. I'll give you my phone number and we can talk at length and I can get you any contacts you need.

Fantastic! If you PM your phonenumber to me, I will make sure you receive a call after the season (it's very busy right now being on the road)

Edited by PeeJay

Keep in mind that when you talk about in-state and even in-region recruiting, Pioneer has a number of corps within a 4/5 hour drive of them. Depending on the point in WI (or nearby state), these corps may be even closer to potential recruits:

Madison Scouts (1 hour)

Blue Stars (3 hours, more or less)

Phantom Regiment (2 hours)

Cavaliers (2 hours)

Colts (might be as many as 5, as getting across Sconnie from Milwaukee is slightly weird)

Wisconsin has 3 WC corps, and there are 3 more in neighboring states. It's a strong region for choice for students who want to stay 'local' for drum corps.

I would think that with Madison and Blue Stars doing their winter programs in Indiana, there might be less local recruitment competition then you think. These finalist caliber World Class corps draw their membership from all over the map. I would be surprised if there was more then a token membership from their local bases in BS, Cavies, or Phantom. It is the nature of the beast nowadays.

I think the real challenge of recruiting is getting past the competitive bias that the high level of today's World class has created. There is story after story of the kid who auditions for Phantom or the like and gets cut. Then they stay home for a variety of reasons; "I always wanted to be in Phantom and cannot imagine marching anywhere else", or " I need to practice for next year's audition". These types of students are so misguided in that a good deal of the fun and benefit they will get from their corps years will not come from competitive placement. The challenge is to convince these potential students that there is much value, learning, and fun to be had in a group such as the Pioneer. I've advised many a student in my time and always emphasized the 'Just do it' mantra. For the most part it doesn't matter where, just get out there. If such students can be convinced to participate I think you have a fair shot at keeping them until they age out. Sure some might take their honed skills to their eventual dream corps, but I would bet a fair percent will stay and perform with the friends they make in the corps. It might be challenging to find and recruit such kids. Don't the world class corps still share their 'cut lists' with each other? This was common practice in the 80s. Maybe such lists would be available for the asking from the other World Class corps in the region. One corps lump of coal might just develop into another's diamond.

Another large issue is keeping a lid on costs. There are so many potential performers who are stalled by the high costs of today's World Class touring corps fees. If there is a way to keep the costs reasonable it can only help in the effort to recruit.

Honestly I am not sure I would change much in Pioneer land. This is a glass half empty or half full sort of question. Some only see the lower competitive placement. I tend to see a younger group, learning much and having fun. I've heard nothing but praise of the 'family' atmosphere that is present there. There is far more to measuring the quality of a corps then it's placement in competition. A DCI with a few more groups like Pioneer is a better DCI.

Edited by mchromik

Honestly I am not sure I would change much in Pioneer land. This is a glass half empty or half full sort of question. Some only see the lower competitive placement. I tend to see a younger group, learning much and having fun. I've heard nothing but praise of the 'family' atmosphere that is present there. There is far more to measuring the quality of a corps then it's placement in competition. A DCI with a few more groups like Pioneer is a better DCI.

As a parent of 2 kids with Pioneer this year and 3 kids last season, I can certainly attest to this statement. My 2 are still in high school, in Illinois. They ironically were recruited from a friend of theirs who is in their own high school band. He is unfortunately not marching this year, but he helped give my boys an opportunity of a lifetime. We would not trade this experience for anything. Who knows what the future will bring, but Pioneer is certainly worthy of a VERY POSITIVE EXPERIENCE for anyone that wants to march with a world class drum corps. This corps is just as hard working as any other out there. They have a great, talented staff dedicated to teaching kids! They truly care about the kids and work very hard in every aspect of what goes into it. From learning how to play either a horn, or marching techniques, the focus is learning the correct way.

As for recruiting, they did go to several other states, I know for sure they were at a university in Illinois as one of my boys went with for the trip. The trip was for a BOA event. I believe they also were recruiting in Michigan and Indiana as well.

My own opinion is that because they have a reputation of being a "last place" corps and I think that some kids will wait a year or two to march with someone up higher in the rankings, rather than marching with the "bottom" rankings. That is sad. The experience is so awesome with the traveling and performing, that is much better than staying home and practicing IMO. And yes, I believe more kids would march if they could afford it, but from what I've heard, Pioneer is a bargain, considering they practice, complete a "Full" tour, along with most of the upper corps. (Obviously they don't travel as far as some of the west coast corps, but they do as much as Phantom, Madison, Bluecoats, etc.)

All that said, and I'll say it again. We wouldn't change the way we've done this. Being in the midwest and having access to several other close corps, we chose Pioneer for the experience for our boys at their level and they are only gaining more everday! Thank you to the entire Pioneer organization for all you have taught our kids. They are truly "Better Everyday!", at home and on the field.

Could do, but why did Sky Ryders move to Texas then....

Stupid decision on the Board's part.

For a long time I've wondered what would happen if Pio had all of their winter camps in Chicago ? A good chunk of the corps already comes from Naperville & Romeoville and almost all the other kids either drive thru or fly into Chicago. I mean how many corps did Chicago support in the 50's, 60's & 70's ?? The corps could still use Pioneerland for everydays in the summer. I know they would not want to make a permanent move because of the bingo but they could do something similar to what Blue Stars and Madison are doing. just a thought........

For a long time I've wondered what would happen if Pio had all of their winter camps in Chicago ? A good chunk of the corps already comes from Naperville & Romeoville and almost all the other kids either drive thru or fly into Chicago. I mean how many corps did Chicago support in the 50's, 60's & 70's ?? The corps could still use Pioneerland for everydays in the summer. I know they would not want to make a permanent move because of the bingo but they could do something similar to what Blue Stars and Madison are doing. just a thought........

For winter weekend camps, someone drives down one of the tour buses to O'Hare airport on a Friday night, and drives to Mitchell airport in Milwaukee. Then on Sunday evenings, brings the kids back. I love it!! I only have to drive to O'Hare not Milwaukee!

This also allows kids that fly in, transportation to the "Land." Which from what I understand, is quite a few.

Edited by Lynsew