Carolina Crown down to 7 snares

Heard Yesterday from a very reliable source that Carolina Crown is down to 7 snares. Ashleys tendonitis in her elbow was just apparently causing her alot of pain and im assuming that she made her decision to step out for the remainder of the season was because that she felt it was definately affecting her playing and ultimately the rest of the group. im sure that was an extremely difficult decision for her to have to make. then a second member of the line told the group that he was stepping away for personnal reasons. they are currently trying to find ashley a spot in the pit to keep her active within the group, and the other guy may be just temporarily gone. they dont know for sure yet.

My initial reaction was wow that really sucks, but after thinking about it more i think it will help the snareline and drumline overall in the future. if you have someone whos playing is being affected by injury and another whose playing is affected by just mentally not being there, removing those two links of the chain should make the rest of the line come together that much more i personally think could help make them cleaner and better for it in the long run.

question for you is do you think this will effect the group moving forward

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They will be cleaner than with 9 most likely, however with the sound their hornline puts out and the voluming coming from pit's these days a 7 man snareline really is NOT big enough to be heard except in very exposed spots. Lack of presence could potentially hurt their score, but not for certain.

Star of Indiana won the DCI title with only 5 snares so it's only a mind thing the brass instructors can adjust dynamics as

needed to compensate the lack of snares . Hey ----- wait a minute put microphones on the snares , problem solved ! :smile:

Star of Indiana won the DCI title with only 5 snares so it's only a mind thing the brass instructors can adjust dynamics as

needed to compensate the lack of snares . Hey ----- wait a minute put microphones on the snares , problem solved ! :smile:

lol. good one.

Star of Indiana didn't have a mic'd front line to contend with, and IMO that snareline may as well have not been on the field except for when they were the only ones playing, but I agree this is unlikely to have any impact on Crown's scores. I'm sure they have some monster players in that line, turn up the volume guys!

Edited by BozzlyB

Star of Indiana won the DCI title with only 5 snares

You've got to figured too that the max. number of members allowed on the field was smaller back then. :smile:

You've got to figured too that the max. number of members allowed on the field was smaller back then. :smile:

BK placed 3rd in drums in '00 with only 6 or 7 snare that year. I think it was 6 but I could be wrong.

Wes P

BK '97 '98

Gotta wonder if they'll get credit for execution with respect to book with smaller line versus 9-10 person lines when all else equal (besides contribution to music ensemble balance as someone else questioned). e.g., Cavies in '08 (debated) if line size hindered things a tenth here or there as season progressed despite beastliness of guys and book (IMO).

You've got to figured too that the max. number of members allowed on the field was smaller back then. :tongue:

But 7 to 9 snares was still the norm in the late 80s/early 90s.

Whether it'll affect Crown's scores, probably not. Snares are one component of the whole, and it seems that consistency and quality of all the sections and the quality of the interplay in the writing matters more than numbers of players. Once you've got 30+ percussionists working together, what's one or two more or less?

(In terms of volume, you can only hear Kevlar-headed snares from the stands when they hit rim shots anyway, so it shouldn't matter. :smile: )

Edited by mobrien

Heard Yesterday from a very reliable source that Carolina Crown is down to 7 snares. Ashleys tendonitis in her elbow was just apparently causing her alot of pain and im assuming that she made her decision to step out for the remainder of the season was because that she felt it was definately affecting her playing and ultimately the rest of the group. im sure that was an extremely difficult decision for her to have to make. then a second member of the line told the group that he was stepping away for personnal reasons. they are currently trying to find ashley a spot in the pit to keep her active within the group, and the other guy may be just temporarily gone. they dont know for sure yet.

My initial reaction was wow that really sucks, but after thinking about it more i think it will help the snareline and drumline overall in the future. if you have someone whos playing is being affected by injury and another whose playing is affected by just mentally not being there, removing those two links of the chain should make the rest of the line come together that much more i personally think could help make them cleaner and better for it in the long run.

question for you is do you think this will effect the group moving forward

I feel sorry for this young lady. What she has done for her corpsmates is the ultrament example of " Taken one for the Gipper ." We , The Madison Scouts, have a member that has done the same thing this year. He is a Euph player.

Bill