Carolina Crown down to 7 snares

7's still a competitive number. Anything less than that will definitely have trouble being heard. Just wondering, since I'm not a percussion guy, but is the girl who's leaving the line moving into the pit? Can they write her a pit part that will compliment the missing snare parts? Does it even work like that? I thought Cadets did something similar with one of their snares in 2003, but could be wrong.

Yeah, that was Luke. He was in the snare line and pulled a muscle in his lower back and buttocks. He was a great player and was in, I believe, three different drum corps (Pacific Crest, Boston Crusaders and aged out with the Cadets). They wrote in some great tambourine parts for him in the pit! So it is possible to keep her active in the percussion section...just so sad to see her absent in the line she's helped build.

Get better Ashley, you're in my thoughts!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Star of Indiana won the DCI title with only 5 snares so it's only a mind thing the brass instructors can adjust dynamics as

needed to compensate the lack of snares . Hey ----- wait a minute put microphones on the snares , problem solved ! :tongue:

Dude!!!!!! Check a video or history because Star did not have 5 snares in 91'. They did, in fact, have 7 that year that were very clean and had tasty beats on skin heads.

Yeah, that was Luke. He was in the snare line and pulled a muscle in his lower back and buttocks. He was a great player and was in, I believe, three different drum corps (Pacific Crest, Boston Crusaders and aged out with the Cadets). They wrote in some great tambourine parts for him in the pit! So it is possible to keep her active in the percussion section...just so sad to see her absent in the line she's helped build.

Get better Ashley, you're in my thoughts!

I was Luke's band director and drum instructor in high school. He was 6 feet tall in 8th grade! That band/drumline produced him and Heidi, Cadets short female center snare. Not bad, eh? :tongue: They both traveled from SoCal to NJ for camps every month. BTW, the band marched off the right foot, too!

Scott Clark, Cadets snare drummer from 87-92 also taught that same group. One of the best snare drummers in DCI at the time, and a helluva teacher. He was the one one who brought out the best in Heidi, IMO. Another Canadian with chops! He marched next to Lee in 90, and I marched next to Scott in 89 and 91! This is a small world we live in, no?

I remember when he pulled those muscles...he was so bummed! Luke is a great player, and one of the nicest cats you'd ever want to meet! Going to Portland State U in the fall for Music Ed. I'm really happy for him!

Several posters had the same thought as me:

July 4th parade in Evanston IL- I heard a drumline coming well before I could see them.

All I could hear was a snare line and a bottom bass at first, and I looked at my wife and said "Cavaliers."

They sounded great up close. 5 toms, 5 basses, 9 loud as he"" snares...on mylar (and short shells).

Why not try? Star existed almost exclusively in the kevlar era, yet marched mylar several times for the sound...

We caused some chests to explode with our wall of Mylar-endowed reconditioned vintage Rodgers drums in 2008 :) They indeed projected and played (and weighed!) differently than our Kevlar SfZ's.

4780150396_760f3aa9f2.jpg

Obviously 7 snares is going to be easier to clean than 9, but losing your center snare is never easy. They always help the line out alot not just playing but mentally to especially if she was really close to the rest of the drumline. It must have been hard for her to decide to step down, I can't even imagine. Hopefully this injury doesn't stay with her for awhile.

We caused some chests to explode with our wall of Mylar-endowed reconditioned vintage Rodgers drums in 2008 :) They indeed projected and played (and weighed!) differently than our Kevlar SfZ's.

4780150396_760f3aa9f2.jpg

Now I'd pay a pretty penny for one of those Dynasonics! It would be a nice addition to my collection!

Now I'd pay a pretty penny for one of those Dynasonics! It would be a nice addition to my collection!

PM me if you're serious -- the guy behind the restoration has several still sitting in his apartment.

I saw her at rehearsal and at the show. It appeared that it was a problem with her wrist and not her elbow. At rehearsal she was icing here wrist and at the show she had a brace on it. I also heard the other snare out was not due to an injury.

I saw her at rehearsal and at the show. It appeared that it was a problem with her wrist and not her elbow. At rehearsal she was icing here wrist and at the show she had a brace on it. I also heard the other snare out was not due to an injury.

Yes...only one is out for injury. Another is out due to personal reasons. So hopefully by next week they'll have 8 in the line. It's still going to be rough without Ashley (center snare - injured) holding them together. Best of luck to the rest of the line!