Madison beats Phantom in Guard on 7/8

Many of us knew with Madisons current staff there would be huge improvements over the next few years. It's no surprise they are right on schedule. In regards to Phantoms guard performances, being a former member doesn't stop me from being critical. I look at it from a business perspective. If the person in the leadership position isn't getting the job done, it's time to find someone who will. The guard scores alone are keeping them out of contention. There is no doubt they have the talent in their membership. (IMO) there is no excuse for the lack of consistancy. Horn score are among the top, drumscores are on top, guard near the bottom. Having seen the show an number of times the potential is there to compete for the championship. If all phases aren't near the top they will finish no better than 7th. I obviously don't know what's going on internally but in the guard caption it seems we have compromised our standards and our expectations.
Amen! This could also be viewed negatively on the higher ups for choosing someone they'd rather work with based on the buddy system rather than talent therefore damaging the entire corps' production.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Amen! This could also be viewed negatively on the higher ups for choosing someone they'd rather work with based on the buddy system rather than talent therefore damaging the entire corps' production.

It could be if they don't take action now. They have choices, help fix the problem or make a change. Fact is no matter how good the hornline or drumline performs, their scores and placement come finals will be in line with the Colorguard placement. DCI and the judging community will be left with no choice but to dump on the hornline and drumline to make room for the contenders scores. Call it sloting or whatever you want, that's the reality of how DCI works..

Edited by Phantombari1

Regardless of the politics, I still love watching both guards perform. I hope they continue to have a great season. :tongue:

It's not "politics" ... it's watching how one says or implies things when they post and being aware that if we all aren't careful it can come across as a possible unintended disrespectful comment. I just took a lecture on something close to this as well... :tongue:

I love watching ALL guards perform as well... always have. :smile:

It could be if they don't take action now. They have choices, help fix the problem or make a change. Fact is no matter how good the hornline or drumline performs, their scores and placement come finals will be in line with the Colorguard placement. DCI and the judging community will be left with no choice but to dump on the hornline and drumline to make room for the contenders scores. Call it sloting or whatever you want, that's the reality of how DCI works..
Definitely. Not only are they bringing down their own category, but GE Visual as well. But hey...whoever expects Regiment to have a chance?

I dd not know that ( for example ) the percussion judges at Indy's Quarters , Semi's and Finals will bring the Percusssion scores down for the Phantom Regiment because of what the the Phantom Regiment Guard does.

Its an interesting take however, to say the least. Time will tell. I do know that an DeLaSalle Oaklands Corps in he 70's that did not finish in the top 6, had their percussion line finish either 1st or 2nd in percussion that year a Finals. But things change, and so who knows, maybe DCI Percussion judges are coordinating their percussion scores at Finals week these days based upon how the Corps Guard performs. I seriously doubt it though.

Edited by BRASSO

I do know that an DeLaSalle Oaklands Corps in he 70's that did not finish in the top 6, had their percussion line finish either 1st or 2nd in percussion that year a Finals.

Are we talking during the DCI era? Looking at the three DCI recaps (thanks to From The Pressbox) from before their merger with the Etobicoke Crusaders, forming Oakland Crusaders in 1975, Del missed finals in 1972 and 1973, then made finals in 1974, but their drum line was nowhere near first or second place any of those years.

Moving ahead to the Oakland Crusaders era, in 1975, the corps placed sixth overall, with the drum line finishing fourth; in 1976, the corps placed eighth overall, with the drum line finishing third; and, of course, 1977 was the year that Oakland's drum line received the highest score in DCI prelims (placing first across all subcaptions, and receiving a total score of 18.85 that was not surpassed by BD's drum line in finals), but because the corps didn't make finals, placing 15th in DCI prelims, the drum line was denied the drum trophy. That's a bittersweet feat that, to my knowledge, has not been matched by any other corps.

Edited by byline

Are we talking during the DCI era? Looking at the three DCI recaps (thanks to From The Pressbox) from before their merger with the Etobicoke Crusaders, forming Oakland Crusaders in 1975, Del missed finals in 1972 and 1973, then made finals in 1974, but their drum line was nowhere near first or second place any of those years.

Moving ahead to the Oakland Crusaders era, in 1975, the corps placed sixth overall, with the drum line finishing fourth; in 1976, the corps placed eighth overall, with the drum line finishing third; and, of course, 1977 was the year that Oakland's drum line received the highest score in DCI prelims (placing first across all subcaptions, and receiving a total score of 18.85 that was not surpassed by BD's drum line in finals), but because the corps didn't make finals, placing 15th in DCI prelims, the drum line was denied the drum trophy. That's a bittersweet feat that, to my knowledge, has not been matched by any other corps.

I think I remember it has happened another time.

In the mid 80's , Les Eclipses from Longueuil, Quebec, had a perfect score in color guards at the semifinals, which gave them 1st place in that caption but they did not make it to finals as they finished somewhere around 13th or 14th position ( my memory serves me bad on years )

I think I remember it has happened another time.

In the mid 80's , Les Eclipses from Longueuil, Quebec, had a perfect score in color guards at the semifinals, which gave them 1st place in that caption but they did not make it to finals as they finished somewhere around 13th or 14th position ( my memory serves me bad on years )

Looking again at the From The Pressbox recaps, I don't see them winning color guard at any point because, unlike the percussion score, the color guard score was not included on the official recap. So I'm not sure that this "counts" in the same way (and I say this not as a happy camper, given that I'm a guard person and am less than thrilled with the uneven treatment drum corps guards were accorded over the years), since the guard score wasn't included in the overall score, or even as a separate score on the recaps (unlike back in my day, when we did receive a guard score, but it wasn't tallied into the corps' score).

But look and see if you spot something I'm missing (these are the DCI prelims, then semifinals recaps for which I can find Les Eclipses):

P.S. Sorry to take this thread so far off-topic!

Edited by byline

That was under a different system and of course a long time ago. Looking at tonight scores the outcome is true to form. If this remains as a problem they will most likely finish in 7th place. If the redesign the color guard staging and much of their show they will be a contender. But this must be done before San Antonio.

My predictions for finals based on todays shows.

BD

Cadets

Crown

Cavies

Bluecoats

Phantom (Dark Horse)

Bluestars

Boston

SCV

Madison

Glassmen

Academy (Long Shot)