Casper Troopers 2010

RE: Troopers low percussion scores....

It isn't a judging conspiracy. The battery just isn't very good. And only two vets on the line to add to the issue.

I don't think anyone holds that there's any conspiracy. The question is how one judge suddenly dropped Troopers over a point in percussion performance for two shows, which were immediately gained back when they got different judges.

Of course, these things happen. It's drum corps, and drum corps is run by people.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think anyone holds that there's any conspiracy. The question is how one judge suddenly dropped Troopers over a point in percussion performance for two shows, which were immediately gained back when they got different judges.

Of course, these things happen. It's drum corps, and drum corps is run by people.

I have to agree. It was ridiculous that the corps would suddenly drop like a stone when a certain judge was present. Although I have seen a single judge really bring up a corps at a really important show. (Like 1979 prelims)!

Maybe, maybe not. But FWIW, Troopers aren't the only victims of that kind of thing this year.

I agree completely. There needs to be more consistency between the judges and less favoritism.

As a Trooper alum and obvious fan (HONK!) I have to say it: GO TROOP!

I know we've only got 1 more week of the season to go, and I know the scores are frustrating to some, but that doesn't matter because 2010 ain't over yet!

KEEP PUSHING, TROOP!

Troopers edge ahead of Academy and Colts, again!!!! WTF!!! Who will get 13th place this year? Crazy last few shows!!!! Go F-Troop!!!!!!!!

LET'S GET IT TROOOOOOOOP!!!!! Take no prisoners!!!! (well, except the DM. :tongue: )

I agree completely. There needs to be more consistency between the judges and less favoritism.

Wrong. That's called "slotting." The BAD kind of slotting... that's like the yellow slip of paper dropped on the field by a DCM judge years ago listing what each corps most recently scored in their caption to refresh his memory. If the judge has to worry about being "consistent," then the judge is judging something other than the performance on the field, and that's wrong.

Look at it this way. "Consistency" in scores is a two-edged sword that can hold a corps back. If your favorite corps' drumline suddenly catches fire, should they not be able to pass corps that have been in front of them? Of course, you say, but if you're a fan of that other corps that's getting passed, you're going to say the judging is unfair because it's inconsistent.

Judges SHOULD forget what the corps scored earlier this season. Those shows are over. Judge the show on the field, period.

When one subcaption score by one judge for one corps drops suddenly and then goes right back up in their next show, a judging conspiracy or bias is not the most likely explanation. The simplest and most likely explanation is that either that section, or the judge, had an off night. It does happen, you know. If a judge is consistently slamming one corps, it will show up statistically. When you've got long-term statistics to back up a claim like this, post them.

Wrong. That's called "slotting." The BAD kind of slotting... that's like the yellow slip of paper dropped on the field by a DCM judge years ago listing what each corps most recently scored in their caption to refresh his memory. If the judge has to worry about being "consistent," then the judge is judging something other than the performance on the field, and that's wrong.

Look at it this way. "Consistency" in scores is a two-edged sword that can hold a corps back. If your favorite corps' drumline suddenly catches fire, should they not be able to pass corps that have been in front of them? Of course, you say, but if you're a fan of that other corps that's getting passed, you're going to say the judging is unfair because it's inconsistent.

Judges SHOULD forget what the corps scored earlier this season. Those shows are over. Judge the show on the field, period.

When one subcaption score by one judge for one corps drops suddenly and then goes right back up in their next show, a judging conspiracy or bias is not the most likely explanation. The simplest and most likely explanation is that either that section, or the judge, had an off night. It does happen, you know. If a judge is consistently slamming one corps, it will show up statistically. When you've got long-term statistics to back up a claim like this, post them.

I guess it is only called slotting when your corps is the one who suddenly drops like a stone when a certain judge shows up. What would happen if "your" corps had their percussion score drop a few points from one day to another. This is believable at the beginning of the year when the shows are still being learned and a bit rocky, but, it is a little more obvious when the shows are pretty much polished at the end of the season.

I enjoy seeing a corps pull themselves up to defeat their competition, but, I do not like seeing a single judge try to destroy a corps with a stroke of a pen! :lol:

It's shaping up to be an interesting little battle between the Colts, Academy, and Troop. Tomorrow night should be fun.