Casper Troopers 2010

Let me preface this by saying that I marched in 1979 so I am not burying Troopers yet, but, they have several issues with the show that they need to fix now!

1) The new uniforms do not have enough effect under the lights. They seemed a bit blah and need some more colors to push their visual effects. Maybe add a yellow sash like the drum major has or maybe an officer's cape lined in yellow.

2) There are not quite enought major impact moments from the hornline. Everyone loves the Troopers but there are not enough "wow" moments to really bring out the gasps from the crowd (or the judges).

3) The marching is just not as crisp as I would like. Bringing back the yellow pants stripes helped with the look of the corps, but, it also accentuates when the marching is not uniform and definately makes the corps look sloppy when there are phasing issues.

4) There needs to be a bit more "attitude" from the colorguard. When I saw BD in Denver I saw a guard that constantly "strutted" through their show. Trooper's guard is fine technically but they lack the "oomph" that a great guard always shows. When I marched the guard had much simpler shows, but, had a hell of a lot of presence.

5) I am not a drum person, but, I feel that the percussion is not quite pushing the rest of the music like they should. I guess that the corps is still learning and perfecting the show, but, I still do not feel the "teeth" that great percussion should exude.

I just want to say that this corps has great potential and could still shock many people and pass up Colts and maybe Glassmen before the end of the year. I know that it seems that the judges have started to slot the corps, but, greatness is indisputable. If this corps can clean this show and exude true Trooper "attitude", they not only can make finals, they will!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm so glad I got to see Troop (and many others) on the webcast before the cancellation of the show.

Troopers were GREATLY improved! Marching was much cleaner and they had a new sense of authority on the field. They need more of that, though. Go get it Troop!

I guess that Troopers moved past Colts last night by .7 and pretty much beat them in all captions (including CG)! Nice to see the show's promise finally being fulfilled and the scores rising quickly. Will be nice to see Troop meet and pass up Academy in the next few days.

Can they pass Glassmen? This is the big question and only time, and the desire of the individual corps members, will tell. :worthy:

After seeing the web-cast Saturday night I am not worried. The difference from even last week is astounding! There is more to come and if anyone is considering writing them off, I would wait. This Corps and their staff has the ability to pull it out and I my money is on them. I heard the crowd giving up a lot of love at least 7 or 8 times during the show and there were some pretty well-defined WOW moments.

Good luck Troopers! See you in Allentown.

I'm gotten zen about the show (Ohmmmmmmmmm...) and it will end up where it will end up. It was great to see the performance in Minneapolis and watch the show get better.

There are some issues I have with the show (lack of color, not as much field coverage, the ending, etc.) but the first half of the show seems to work now. Maybe this week is all about the second half?

If anything, this show is written for August. We'll see if it was a smart move.

I'm gotten zen about the show (Ohmmmmmmmmm...) and it will end up where it will end up. It was great to see the performance in Minneapolis and watch the show get better.

There are some issues I have with the show (lack of color, not as much field coverage, the ending, etc.) but the first half of the show seems to work now. Maybe this week is all about the second half?

If anything, this show is written for August. We'll see if it was a smart move.

When I saw Troop in Denver I thought that they definately needed more color on the field. They had plenty of field coverage, but, without some more color on the uniforms the corps actually looked smaller than they were. If they can find some way to spice up the visual look of the new uniforms (I did not even notice; were they wearing the scarves?) and continue to improve their execution and add a few more impact moments, they could find themselves marching in finals again. These were the same comments I made about the corps in 2009 and they managed to bulldoze their way into the top 12 and they may be going in again. Remember, it is not where you start, but, where you finish! :worthy:

Thanks for the bump!

Any way Troop can get it together and hopefully get back to finals again? I have to say, seeing them walk onto the field last year with the amazing introduction they were given brought tears to my eyes.

Thanks for the bump!

Any way Troop can get it together and hopefully get back to finals again? I have to say, seeing them walk onto the field last year with the amazing introduction they were given brought tears to my eyes.

I marched in 1979 and definately know what can happen if a talented corps can find a way to create magic. I know that the judges can be swayed from "locking" corps into spots if the members can push their show to another level. When we beat Crossmen in '79 and made finals the most surprised people in the stadium were the actual members of Troopers. We were aiming for Cavies and just happened to beat a much more talented corps with a better designed show. We just had more drive and passion for that one day. This would be like Troopers passing up BK or Blue Stars in 2010.