Casper Troopers 2010

Okay, so I've scrolled down and seen several corps threads but have not noticed one for the Troopers. Because I have a soft spot for both the Scouts and Troopers, and since the Scouts official thread is like 400 pages long already, I thought I'd find out what everyone is thinking about "Wanted."

It's my understanding that their show isn't dealing with "Wanted" as in a wild west, dead or alive kind of wanted, but rather some kind of esoteric concept of want--whether that be lust or love or what have you. I'm still trying to figure it out. (perhaps someone here can enlighten us)

Now...it's not my thing to criticize this icon of iconic awesomeness, but I'm just a wee bit disappointed in the show this year. It strikes me as a show that was designed to score with the judges rather than score with the crowd and it doesn't seem to be doing either at this point.

Can someone please console me?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a personal policy about not bumping my own threads. But, this is not a bump. It's a "C'mon you don't have anything to say about the Troopers show—as this post slips quietly into oblivion (otherwise known as page 2)?"

I wish that I could console you, but I honestly didn't get any concept (or a whole lot of anything for that matter) while watching the show. Other than playing a little bit of "Wanted"... I agree the show appears to have been constructed to the judges, but I guess that's not working out so well. The corps has a long way to go. Fortunately for them there is still some time, but I honestly can't see how the corps will make finals at this pace.

I have a personal policy about not bumping my own threads. But, this is not a bump. It's a "C'mon you don't have anything to say about the Troopers show—as this post slips quietly into oblivion (otherwise known as page 2)?"

I like the show this year. I feel like the Troopers are trying to step up their difficulty in this show and that it may be a lot for them to chew on. Can they clean it? I don't know, but I still think if they do, they'll be in 12th come finals. We'll see how it goes. Go Troopers!!

Wes Perkins

BK '97 '98

(warning warning warning: HONK alert! But I'll do my best to be a bit more objective than I might normally seem to some.)

I can understand how Granny and others are feeling a bit worried. The difficulty in the show is definitely a lot for the corps to chew on. I trust the plan. If the plan works, finals is definitely in play. If it doesn't, it doesn't.

Because of the fuzzy quality of the full screen webcasts - and because of the tiny size of the regular Fan Network player window - I couldn't get a read on how the Wanted theme is played out by the corps. In any case, the following are my observations in general:

1. Hornline: improved over last year by far thanks to vet retention, good recruitment and maturity. The book is more difficult and they are moving a lot more while playing. (i.e. covering more distance and with more velocity) Lots of feet still in the horns, and stamina is still being built up for the show.

2. Drumline: holy smokes was it dirty on the Stanford webcast. OMG it was killing me. Denver performance as heard via webcast was much cleaner and the textures were starting to emerge. Pit parts are a lot more demanding than last year as is the battery writing. Tasty stuff from Dave Reeves!!!!

3. Guard: BIGGER!!! Yay! I like the white unis. I'm not sure how I feel about the transition to the darker unis yet. I need to see it live. Equipment work is definitely coming along but I haven't had a chance to really sink my teeth into the technical difficulty aspects of it due to the picture quality. Again, I need to see it live. Rifle soloist rocks!

4. Visual: There are lots of larger intervals than last year as well as a lot of geometry out there on the field to get clean. In the opener there is some wild, wild drill on the left side that looks like a mini sunburst on high speed with pixelation effects. I love it! I like the guard staging a lot.

I want to see this show clean.

Me too. Hopefully Minnesota through Texas will show us more.

I love the new uniforms! Go Troop!!!!

It seems to me at this stage of the game there is going to have to be some major movement by the Troopers to overtake Glassmen (and Colts). There's some chatter that the Troopers have "a plan." I suspect it's time for them to go ahead an implement it and hope that the other corps don't implement their plan.

C'mon Casper! We're pulling for you to become a perennial top 12 corps and then move on up the ranks. I envision the day when we have a classic battle between the Cavaliers and the Troopers at the top.

icon of iconic awesomeness

Can someone please console me?

I haven't seen Troopers for a few years, but they've always been one of my favorites. Frankly, Granny, I am bumping this thread to the top for you. I love the quote of "icon of iconic awesomeness." I will use that phrase (most likely refering to my beloved BAC), but give you full credit. Iconic quote!