Attending my first DCI event on the 22nd!

Not to sound rude or anything, but not a very good start to your drum corps watching career.

Oh gawd... the poor guy hasn't even gone to his first live show yet, and yet he's already being told that he's not off to " a very good start " to his Drum Corps career. Good grief, what a terribly nasty attitude toward a potential new fan.

In spite of the high and mighty, I hope he feels free to watch whatever he wants to watch, and can come and go as comfortably as he chooses..... and without being hassled or subjected to rancor before, during, nor after his attendance.

I also hopes he find the same electricity in the air, the sheer wonder of the spectacular pagegeantry of it all, and the adrenalin rush of sheer excitement that made our jaws drop when we all saw and heard our first show live. And that it will not be his last. And that we have found a precious new fan for the activity for many years to come.

Edited by BRASSO

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please wait to go to your seats between shows.

When you get there, please turn off your cell phone.

Buy lots of souvenirs from the corps - that is a huge part of their income. Almost every souvie stand has some smaller, more inexpensive items. Remember also that the more advanced drum corps get tons of souvenir traffic (kudos to them! they earned it), but if you are able to spread some of your dollars and contribute to a few others, that would be great.

Enjoy your first show!!!! (and I hope you'll consider going to your seats early enough to support Forte and Teal because those kids would love to play for a bigger audience, too.)

It is your first show and your already judged who is worthy of your viewing and who isn't? How do you know what you are missing? There is something to be learned and enjoyed from everyone's program, if nothing more then giving you a basis on which to judge the later corps. Cannot comment on Forte for I haven't seen them, but Teal is in their first year of world class competition and has a unique program with some good moments.

Not to sound rude or anything, but not a very good start to your drum corps watching career. Either way, enjoy the show and Thanks for coming.

Has Forte even competed EVER yet?

Has Forte even competed EVER yet?

Memphis Sound moved to Texas and changed their name to Forte.

Edited by CoHmempho04

Memphis Sound moved to Texas and changed their name to Forte.

I know, but the OP wouldn't necessarily know that since they're "new" and also Forte seems to have a completely different staff than Memphis Sound.

And to the OP, I would recommend seeing as many corps as you can, even if you don't care for some of them. When I went to Atlanta in 2007, the only corps I actually WANTED to see was The Cavaliers. I could have just shown up after the dinner break and watched them and a few other corps. However, I instead decided to go at noon and sit through every single performance - afternoon and evening (when they still did that). I watched every performance from Pioneer to the Cavaliers' encore...and I became a fan of several other drum corps after that day. It may take up more time in your day, but it's totally worth it.

Edited by BugleBand

Lawlz,

It is very common for people to show up exponentially as the show carries on.

Some frown upon this, other don't. I personally and guilty of this.

Mainly because I spend most of the time in the parking lot watching warm-ups. I don't know if you are into horn lines, drumlines or CG. Either way you might want to check out what is going on in the lot or at the souvie booths prior to the step off of one of your favorites.

I was afraid everybody would start posting some angry comments as I was writing this thread which is why I tried to sound as nice as possible.

And towards the people saying I wouldn't know if I would like certain corps since I've never been to a show. I've been watching DCI on the internet for a couple years (I know it's not the same as a live show but still) and have been a member of the fan network on DCI.org so I've seen plenty of corps performances over the internet. So IMHO I think I've had enough "viewing experience" to decide which corps I prefer. I'm really not a very picky person when it comes to DCI but I just don't seem to enjoy certain shows.

I'm really not a very picky person when it comes to DCI but I just don't seem to enjoy certain shows.

And in this respect, lawlz, you are no different than ANY fan that has ever watched a Drum Corps show since the beginning of Drum Corps competitions itself many years ago.

Enjoy your first live Drum Corps show !.... and if so inclined, come back and provide us a review of the Corps you got to see live.

Edited by BRASSO