A sad task this morning, before I head out to a rehearsal with a corps I am assisting.

Al Cunningham, Detroit Michigan, passed away yesterday. To us alumni of Ohio Brass Factory "Detroit" was a synonym for Three guys who drove to Alliance

And played with the corps. "Detroit's here"... "the motor city madmen are coming back in 82" and other comments were commonly heard in those days.

Al Cunningham was a mellophone player. That in itself is an understatement. He was gifted and was one of the Kilties mellophone players marching next to Lothar

and J.C., along with Rick Hoefert. Today, J.C. will be playing mellophone in Rockford with the Kilties. But he will not play alone. Rick, Lothar and Al will be with him as he plays. That's how the Kilties "roll".

Al was a member of the Michigan Jr. corps: The Marauders, as well as an alumni of Ohio Brass Factory and recently, The Kilties. He was set to march in the Kiltie Honorguard at DCA this year.

I never saw Al get angry, lose his temper, or display ANY sort of negative behavior in all the years I've known him. Constantly upbeat, He was a joy to be around.

I think Al had this "life" thing down pat!

Al's was a life well lived, indeed!

And for my beloved Kilties: WWWBD!!

A sad task this morning, before I head out to a rehearsal with a corps I am assisting.

Al Cunningham, Detroit Michigan, passed away yesterday. To us alumni of Ohio Brass Factory "Detroit" was a synonym for Three guys who drove to Alliance

And played with the corps. "Detroit's here"... "the motor city madmen are coming back in 82" and other comments were commonly heard in those days.

Al Cunningham was a mellophone player. That in itself is an understatement. He was gifted and was one of the Kilties mellophone players marching next to Lothar

and J.C., along with Rick Hoefert. Today, J.C. will be playing mellophone in Rockford with the Kilties. But he will not play alone. Rick, Lothar and Al will be with him as he plays. That's how the Kilties "roll".

Al was a member of the Michigan Jr. corps: The Marauders, as well as an alumni of Ohio Brass Factory and recently, The Kilties. He was set to march in the Kiltie Honorguard at DCA this year.

I never saw Al get angry, lose his temper, or display ANY sort of negative behavior in all the years I've known him. Constantly upbeat, He was a joy to be around.

I think Al had this "life" thing down pat!

Al's was a life well lived, indeed!

And for my beloved Kilties: WWWBD!!

Thank you for that wonderful post Hairbear. Al truly was "one of the good guys" in our activity and I will miss him greatly. I'll remember him not only for being such a great guy, but also as a wonderful musician with great chops that always gave 110% for his corps.

As you mentioned above, I was not alone on the field in Rockford. Rick, Lothar and Al were with me in spirit. It was as if we could still see the bells of their horns in our pre-show "Oy Vay" circle. I can only hope we were able to do them proud.

Sad news indeed. I could hardly believe it when news reached me at the Rockford show.

Aldo will be sorely missed. To me, he was always one of the guys who "got it."

God's speed, Aldo. I'm proud to have shared the field with you and proud to call you my brother.

Stef

Steve, I never met Al but as someone who competed against that "western" corps Ohio Brass Factory I wish to extend my condolences to his family and friends. To drive from Detroit to Alliance to be with a corps that had no guarentee of making Finals shows true DC spirit IMO. Guys like that will be missed.