BERPs

I figured this is the best place to ask it, but I am thinking about buying a BERP for this upcoming season, and need to know, was it helpful for you in any way or was it a waste of money/equiptment? I would kinda like to know experiences with it before I spend 20 bucks and find out it's no good.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As a player myself I find it better to do your buzzing/playing exercises without one; but in an ensemble setting such as marching band/drum corps I think it is better to have the berp. I use them with my band at Mount Union.

As a player myself I find it better to do your buzzing/playing exercises without one; but in an ensemble setting such as marching band/drum corps I think it is better to have the berp. I use them with my band at Mount Union.

Thanks, maybe givin it a try when we are marching horns only but no playing at practice may be more fun.

The nice thing about a BERP is that it lets you do buzzing while still using the same posture and positions that you do while playing. Of course, an experienced player should be doing that anyway, but a BERP helps build those habits. It also makes things like practicing fingerings while buzzing easier.

BERPS have their place, I used them all throughout my 3 years of marching band. The only reason you would get one is it to march with your horn and buzz at the same time. They dont do anything more than that. You can use your fingers to block the airflow to open your windpipe just as much as the BERP can, you just cant play the fingerings alongside it. If you can get one for 5-10 bucks I would get one, but if you cant find anything under 20-30, I dont think it is worth it.

It's not only good for buzzing, it's good for young musicians developing ears, because if they're not hearing it in their head they won't be able to buzz it with good quality. I enjoy using it because I can change the resistance and trick my fingers in to thinking I'm acutally playing :worthy:

Edited by BrassClef

There's two different topics being addressed here.

You should separate whether the BERP is good from whether buzzing is good.

I think the BERP is a complete waste of money. It's a device that fixes a non-issue. You're paying for something that you can easily do just as well without it. I say save your money.

There's two different topics being addressed here.

You should separate whether the BERP is good from whether buzzing is good.

I think the BERP is a complete waste of money. It's a device that fixes a non-issue. You're paying for something that you can easily do just as well without it. I say save your money.

This. I forgot I had one until I saw this thread.