It had a great after party :laughing:

I heard it didn't rain for a change. :laughing:

Who won? I didn't here any scores.

THE FANS!!!! ... all exhibition show ...

:-)

THE FANS!!!! ... all exhibition show ...

:-)

I know. I was just kidding George about rumors that bridgemen were competing this year.

Reviewers, please stand up.

Okay, I'll give it a shot. I only saw the first couple of Corps though.

First on was SAC. They did start a little tentative but after they got rolling they put on their typical solid (and I mean SOLID) performance. That lead sop line is as good as it get. Eddie Hayward, Joe Silverstein, Brian Beckmeyer, Charlie (Darth) Vayda (who pulled triple duty also performing with the New York Skyliners Alumni & us [Bridgemen]) and I'm sorry, I don't know the name of the other lead but I have heard him play and they were all as good as it gets. Didn't see Rocky though. He started his Drum Career with the Bridgemen Kidets all those years ago.

Next on were the Reilly Raiders, the "Elder Statemen" of Drum Corps. And they proved to be just that with a couple of elderly members who were unable to actually march onto the field with the Corps but are still able to get some great sounds out of their horns. I had the honor of pushing Mr. I. Ralph Winberg (who was just inducted into the Pennsylvania Drum Corps Hall of Fame this past April) to his position on the field. Soloists Kevin McDermott (member of the Bridgemen Alumni Corps last year as was his lovely wife Cheryl who performed on rifle), Jim McDevitt and Bob Gaff (amongst others) were spot on and overall a really great performance by this really great Drum Corps.

From this point on I did not have the opportunity to actually "watch" the show as I had to get ready for my own performance with the Bridgemen but from outside of the stadium from where I had parked my car I could "heard" Fusion Core. And most notably their low brass line played with power and cleanliness. Though they did sound to be few in number, they did sound ready to give audiences a good competitive show this coming season. I would guess it is the age old story that everyone at this stage of the game need to clean, clean, clean with (as our George likes to say) REPS, REPS, REPS....

As for the New York Skyliners Alumni I was under the stands in a dressing room and again could only hear them. I had watched them earlier in the morning while they practiced on the field in preparation for the evening show,....and you could tell that it was early in the morning. :laughing: Guess that's why they call it practice. Isn't it a wonder what some sectionals and a "few" adult beverages can do. Musically they put on a very good performance,...and that's coming from someone who knows note for note what they played and can play it my sleep as well. JG was at the usually "top of his game". Maybe a little light on the top "G" in "New York, New York" but hey, we can all live with that. Started to wonder if "Vito" Giranda (himself a former member of the Bridgemen back in the day) was getting a boot in his arse during "Big Noise From Winetka" like he did when the Corps had performed this number in competition in the 80's.

Sorry that's all I can give you. From then on all of us Bridgemen went to do our "show before the show".

And yes Gus, it was a great after show party at the "V" and we're VERY happy that you and Bea were a part of it. Don't be a stranger, either of you. It was wonderful when Reilly serenaded us with "Irish Eyes" and I'm sure it was a REAL revelation to them when we Bridgemen returned the favor with our Corps song. :thumbup: Usually, when in public, we only hum it.

Edited by NYSkyliner

And yes Gus, it was a great after show party at the "V" and we're VERY happy that you and Bea were a part of it. Don't be a stranger, either of you. It was wonderful when Reilly serenaded us with "Irish Eyes" and I'm sure it was a REAL revelation to them when we [/color]Bridgemen returned the favor with our Corps song. :laughing: Usually, when in public, we only hum it.

Nice review Mike. Bea and I had a great time up there. I almost spit my beer out when you guys started singing. :thumbup: For those of you who missed the show... You missed one of the great ones.

Okay, I'll give it a shot. I only saw the first couple of Corps though.

First on was SAC. They did start a little tentative but after they got rolling they put on their typical solid (and I mean SOLID) performance. That lead sop line is as good as it gets. Eddie Hayward, Joe Silverstein, Brian Beckmeyer, Charlie (Darth) Vayda (who pulled triple duty also performing with the New York Skyliners Alumni & us [Bridgemen]) and I'm sorry, I don't know the name of the other lead but I have heard him play and they were all as good as it gets. Didn't see Rocky though. He started his Drum Career with the Bridgemen Kidets all those years ago.

Hi Mike. Thanks for the review. The other lead sop you were talking about would be Tony Ross who played the solo in House Of The Rising Sun. There were 2 other lead sops that were there also. I thought you would have recognized former Skyliner Donato Glussi and former Sunriser Frank Diliberto. Rocky last played with us in May at the Secaucus show. Also missing was another former Bridgemen John Giannullo and lastly Eric Leonhart.

Edited by joesilver

Hi Mike. Thanks for the review. The other lead sop you were talking about would be Tony Ross who played the solo in House Of The Rising Sun. There were 2 other lead sops that were there also. I thought you would have recognized former Skyliner Donato Glussi and former Sunriser Frank Diliberto. Rocky last played with us in May at the Secaucus show. Also missing was another former Bridgemen John Giannullo and lastly Eric Leonhart.

Geez, and Donato called out to me as you guys were exiting. Saw Bill Semenak (sp) as well. He was with the Pittsburgh Rockets or Westmoreland Esquires (don't remember which) years ago and was good friends with some of the members of the Steel City Ambassadors Alumni Corps like Bernie Halgas and Denny Graham both of whom are now deceased. John's brother Massi (sp) was there. As I said earlier, good solid job by you guys.

Edited by NYSkyliner