Auditioning and new marching techniques

So over the past few days of fan networking I have found "my corps" and I would really like to tryout for the cavies. Here's my question, they have a very different marching technique from what i've done for the past 3 now 4 years. At my school it's a bit of a cross, when we march forward, between Cavies bycicle step and PRs straight leg. Frontal marchin ain't hard at all to change I know that for sure. Anyways, when we march backwards we are fully straight legged and up on our toes. My question is, how hard was it to learn a new backwards marching style like this if you had to change your style? Because I kind of figured when I tryout in the next 2 years I don't need to be trying to perfect it over a month, but rather go in there after a year or 2 practicing it on my own spare time and then perfect it, if that makes sense? So i'm just curious how long it took you to change, if it's really worth it, and if you can explain how to bicycle step backwards that would be appreciated, cause right now I'm kinda choppy and jerky when my foot rolls flat.

Thanks! :laughing:

Edited by 76strad

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I auditioned for the Cavaliers last november. My high school band marched straight leg on forwards and backwards marching (on the toes backwards) and the change to bicycle step for the cavaliers was not difficult for me at all. The backwards march is exactly the same as the forwards bicycle step except its reversed. Your knee's pop out, foot comes back on the toes first, rolls down on the foot, and finishes with the heel on the floor. Your next foot comes down when your foot has rolled through and is only on its heel (at one point only the toes of one foot and the heel of your other should be on the ground). The back march is definitely more difficult than the forward march is although it is not that difficult of a transition. Marching and playing are two different things though. In the audition you have to play a scale exercise while marching so learn how to do a box drill with this marching technique while you are playing whole notes. Needless to say I got a 2+ on the musical audition and a 1- on the visual audition but didnt make it =( and I cant do it next year so I dont think I will be able to march drum corps. =""""(

So over the past few days of fan networking I have found "my corps" and I would really like to tryout for the cavies. Here's my question, they have a very different marching technique from what i've done for the past 3 now 4 years. At my school it's a bit of a cross, when we march forward, between Cavies bycicle step and PRs straight leg. Frontal marchin ain't hard at all to change I know that for sure. Anyways, when we march backwards we are fully straight legged and up on our toes. My question is, how hard was it to learn a new backwards marching style like this if you had to change your style? Because I kind of figured when I tryout in the next 2 years I don't need to be trying to perfect it over a month, but rather go in there after a year or 2 practicing it on my own spare time and then perfect it, if that makes sense? So i'm just curious how long it took you to change, if it's really worth it, and if you can explain how to bicycle step backwards that would be appreciated, cause right now I'm kinda choppy and jerky when my foot rolls flat.

Thanks! :laughing:

My son marched straight leg in High School & one summer with Pacific Crest. When he auditioned for Santa Clara Vanguard it was not a requirement that he know how to do their marching style - they would teach that. It WAS important that you had good timing, posture, and the ability to take direction and learn quickly. The most important part of the audition weekend was the music audition. Each corps is different because I do know when he auditioned for the Blue Devils the marching was VERY important, along with the music audition. I would suggest talking to someone from the Cavaliers and find out what the audition weekend is like and what is the emphasis. Good luck!

The elements you're talking about won't even be judged. Corps know that your home style is different, and they're going to take that into account. What they will judge on is how well you can learn the new style, not how well you can do it. Things like foot timing are going to be more critical than actual technique.

As a heads up, The Cavaliers staff can teach anyone to march, and they know this. They are going to judge you very hard on your brass technique, so get your chops ready before you start worrying too much about the visual.

I auditioned for the Cavaliers last november. My high school band marched straight leg on forwards and backwards marching (on the toes backwards) and the change to bicycle step for the cavaliers was not difficult for me at all. The backwards march is exactly the same as the forwards bicycle step except its reversed. Your knee's pop out, foot comes back on the toes first, rolls down on the foot, and finishes with the heel on the floor. Your next foot comes down when your foot has rolled through and is only on its heel (at one point only the toes of one foot and the heel of your other should be on the ground). The back march is definitely more difficult than the forward march is although it is not that difficult of a transition. Marching and playing are two different things though. In the audition you have to play a scale exercise while marching so learn how to do a box drill with this marching technique while you are playing whole notes. Needless to say I got a 2+ on the musical audition and a 1- on the visual audition but didnt make it =( and I cant do it next year so I dont think I will be able to march drum corps. =""""(

Thankyou, that makes a WHOLE lot more sense, when I popped my knee out like ya said my toe kinda did more of a point, I think when I was trying it before I was keeping my foot to flat.

Sounds DANG hard to make it! Oh well, as my former Section Leader of ages ago (we called him Booger or Boog for short) always said, "if you don't go all out, balls to the wall, then you arn't a real trumpet player."

In yalls view, would it probably be best to work on it consistantly over the next year or so, get my Band Director(s) to watch and evaluate it? (one of the marched Troopers) Probably a dumb question, but gotta ask to make sure it's not a screw up

You will be taught everything you need to know that is specific to your corps at their camps! Just go in with the music down and be ready to learn a lot and you'll have a head start on everyone.