Sun Devils Jamestown, NY Travel Thread

Jacksonville and Orlando drop offs are complete and the main body of the corps is still en route to North Port.

The equipment truck and trailer have suffered serious mechanical problems. After a nightmarish ordeal all the equipment has been transferred into rental trucks and is now finally back on the road.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know you are tired. You did a great job in Jamestown. How about some info on the trucks lots of Northerns pulling for you.

Glad you guys had fun and are almost back. We didnt really have much time to say hi, but thank's so much for coming all that way and making it a better show :tongue:

I know you are tired. You did a great job in Jamestown. How about some info on the trucks lots of Northerns pulling for you.

Thank you for your concern. I know the folks driving the truck will appreciate it. My last update from the truck was that they were able to find a rental shop somewhere in Northern Virginia. They had to fit everything from "Old Yella" and our trailer into a much smaller U-haul truck. John Hoekstra (Exec director) and Mark Scott (corps photog, and overall awesome guy) had to endure a deluge AFTER they took all of the equipment out. What that means is that they had to dry all of our pit equipment first, then put all of our stuff into the new truck.

Needless to say, Old Yella is no more. The corps is actively looking for someone who has access to a heavy duty truck to haul a 30 foot trailer. Any ideas? Please PM me and I will get the info over to our director.

Jamestown was a great show! Our members could not wait to get the show on the field after that crazy storm. We thought we were getting away from the humidity, but rather it felt like an every day Sunday afternoon on a camp day.

Thanks for the hospitality. The show site was easily Box 5 and so were the showers!

Until Woodstock, GA.

:thumbdown:

Hey John!

Glad to see that most of your problems weren't exclusive...While I was running around trying to find a Diet Coke for one of our guard members (had to go to Tops' - no one else had anthing but Pepsi)I saw your "Old Yeller" over at the Mobil station with the hood up..I was hoping for the best..May she rest in peace (or pieces) :thumbdown:

More ammo to abuse Hoekstra with... :tongue:

For those that may be confused, MBI's truck had transmission issues (like it died, dude) just outside Elgin, IL on the way to Jamestown..Our resourceful group of drivers found a rental "box truck" with a liftgate, and were able to gather the percussion and tubas (sans tymps and basses) and get it the rehearsal facility on Saturday morning (around 4 am)

Glad you guys got back OK - for our group in our van - we finally got out of the rain in Ohio..dry the rest of the way..We got back just after midnight CDT last night..After about 3.5 hours of sleep, you can imagine what I'm like today at work.. :shutup:

Pat

Thank you for your concern. I know the folks driving the truck will appreciate it. My last update from the truck was that they were able to find a rental shop somewhere in Northern Virginia. They had to fit everything from "Old Yella" and our trailer into a much smaller U-haul truck. John Hoekstra (Exec director) and Mark Scott (corps photog, and overall awesome guy) had to endure a deluge AFTER they took all of the equipment out. What that means is that they had to dry all of our pit equipment first, then put all of our stuff into the new truck.

Needless to say, Old Yella is no more. The corps is actively looking for someone who has access to a heavy duty truck to haul a 30 foot trailer. Any ideas? Please PM me and I will get the info over to our director.

Jamestown was a great show! Our members could not wait to get the show on the field after that crazy storm. We thought we were getting away from the humidity, but rather it felt like an every day Sunday afternoon on a camp day.

Thanks for the hospitality. The show site was easily Box 5 and so were the showers!

Until Woodstock, GA.

We suffered some mechanical problems Saturday after the show as well,..............nothing nearly as serious tho,...........luckily one of the guys in our entourage pulled a MacGyver and we were back on the road after about an hour,............

Congrats Sun Devils on a great first contest score!!!

I am glad to hear that you made it home safely. And am glad you were able to find a way to get the equipment home. There are some great folks involved with Sun Devils, but everyone knows that all it takes are a few break downs and the corps budget gets crazy!

If any of you can, please send a donation of any size to the Sun Devils to help them in this situation. It is INCREDIBLE to have corps like this travel great distances in this economy. So throw them a few bucks and say thanks for a job well done. Let them know the drum corps community supports them!

Sincerely,

Dwayne

PS...Sun Devils did not ask for this request to be posted. They are a proud organization....I just know that situations like this are tough!!

Congrats Sun Devils on a great first contest score!!!

I am glad to hear that you made it home safely. And am glad you were able to find a way to get the equipment home. There are some great folks involved with Sun Devils, but everyone knows that all it takes are a few break downs and the corps budget gets crazy!

If any of you can, please send a donation of any size to the Sun Devils to help them in this situation. It is INCREDIBLE to have corps like this travel great distances in this economy. So throw them a few bucks and say thanks for a job well done. Let them know the drum corps community supports them!

Sincerely,

Dwayne

PS...Sun Devils did not ask for this request to be posted. They are a proud organization....I just know that situations like this are tough!!

paypal sent,..............

Just got word that the U-haul rental truck JUST crossed the Florida border. It's not a Sun Devils trip without some type of travel equipment failure.

Dwayne and Gary...

Thank you from the entire Sun Devils organization! I am personally quite touched by your generosity.

Folks - THIS is what drum corps is all about. It's about family.

Again...thank you.