Free Tickets

When you are charging 125 a seat for the best seats its hard. Then when you take those best seats away from the general fans and only offer them to Friends of DCI, its even harder.

I will not drive 11-12 hours to sit on the 20 yard line or in echoville uptop. I am desperately looking for someone selling decent seats, but they are hard to come by.

If DCI wants to maximize Finals attendance, the seats should be first come first serve

FYI, Friends don't get an unlimited supply of tickets. Most memberships levels include one or a few free seats, with the option to BUY the same number-at the Premium price levels. When you factor in what the "free" seats would have cost by themselves, the Friends are paying above and beyond the cost of the seats. They are actively supporting the activity more than the "general fans" and I applaud DCI for giving them the "perk" of great seats as a thank you.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

FYI, Friends don't get an unlimited supply of tickets. Most memberships levels include one or a few free seats, with the option to BUY the same number-at the Premium price levels. When you factor in what the "free" seats would have cost by themselves, the Friends are paying above and beyond the cost of the seats. They are actively supporting the activity more than the "general fans" and I applaud DCI for giving them the "perk" of great seats as a thank you.

being a former friend, I agree.

I do think tho, that the prices for outside the 30's are way too high

As a current Friend I couldn't agree more (from my naturally biased perspective).

But there's that one little line in The Proposal that says the Friends program will have to be reviewed as a cost center. That's a clear indication that the activity's most ardent financial supporters are going to take it in the backside. The Group wants to screw me out of my free breakfast just so they can be the band kings.

Yeah, I'll keep contributing to Friends under those conditions. Don't hold your breath.

You may get a better selection of seats when Friends are eliminated, but how will they make up for the extra revenue that Friends now contribute? Do you really think those good Friends seats will still cost $125? Think again.

You'll have access to them, but most won't be able to afford them.

Edited by garfield

When you are charging 125 a seat for the best seats its hard. Then when you take those best seats away from the general fans and only offer them to Friends of DCI, its even harder.

I will not drive 11-12 hours to sit on the 20 yard line or in echoville uptop. I am desperately looking for someone selling decent seats, but they are hard to come by.

If DCI wants to maximize Finals attendance, the seats should be first come first serve

First a word about the free tickets for 2009 AGE-OUTS and a guest.

IT'S ABOUT TIME! NOW YOU'RE STARTING TO GET IT! KEEP THE PEOPLE YOU HAVE AND WORK WITH THEM TO HELP YOU TO EXPAND THE DCI FAN BASE! THANK YOU, DCI!

Now, back to our regularly scheduled program. :tongue:

Every year I beat the bushes and shake the trees, looking for the best tickets I can find. Sometimes it is hard, but there are often great tickets that come out of the friendships and casual aquaintances I have made over the years.

If you are not a member of Friends of DCI, the next best thing is to be a friend of a "Friend"! for years, I was not a supporter of Friends of DCI. I understand the function of Friends of DCI now. It is vital to the continued survival of the corps and to the future of Drum Corps.

In addition, Friends of DCI has been very important to me over the years. Even though I am not a member, I have benefited from the activity of Friends of DCI and I want to acknowledge that.

I, and a host of people I know who are not members of Friends of DCI, have enjoyed watching our favorite corps from seats in the Friends sections of DCI Championships for years! I anticipate doing the same in 2010.

To all my "Friends". Thank you very much for your help and support over the years. If I can ever do anything to help you, please, do not hesitate to ask!

Sincerely,

Ron Gunn

Edited by INSIDETHEFORTY

I'm surprized it took Ron so long to find a thread about "Free Tickets".

:tongue:

Ron, you doing the Amtrak or Greyhound tour this year ?

I'm doing my tour via Greyhound again. I got a 60=day Discovery Pas for $539.00! Riding the bus makes me feel more like I am really doing drum corps, almost like riding a Corps bus! Check my Schedule in the MarketPlace.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it"!

Speaking of FREE TICKETS; At the Dallas show on Thursday night, I bumped into four young children (the oldest was 12) outside the stadium. As we talked, they told me that they wanted to go into the show, but they did not have enough money to buy 4 tickets. At the time, I only had one ticket in my pocket. So, I went to work and soon made a deal with a very nice man who sold me 6 tickets at a discount. A few minutes later, I found the 12 year old and gave him four tickets for himself and his 3 friends. The look on his face was magical! He immediately called his friends over and told them about the free tickets. After thanking me, the four disappeared into the crowd of people entering the stadium.

I saw them again inside during the break. Smiles galore! I am hoping that the experience will motivate one or more of the kids to seek a spot in a Drum Corps someday!

Helping those kids know the joy of Drum Corps on Thursday truly made my day!

Yours in Drum corps,

Ron Gunn

Edited by INSIDETHEFORTY

I'm doing my tour via Greyhound again. I got a 60=day Discovery Pas for $539.00! Riding the bus makes me feel more like I am really doing drum corps, almost like riding a Corps bus! Check my Schedule in the MarketPlace.

Have you been on any of the new units with wifi and eletrical outlets at each seat ?

I'd love to take a bus trip but without an outlet for my CPAP machine, I'm sure someone would kill me because of my snoring

I can obviously understand the support columns, but why on earth would they ever put seats right behind it like that? :tongue:

To punish complainers! Oh, you don't like your seats? You don't like the boomy sound? I'm so sorry, no problem, we got some other seats for ya. Here.

That would get the message across.

Would work for DCI. Would work for the Colts.

/Signed,

Complainer; doesn't like boomy indoor sound... :tongue:

To punish complainers! Oh, you don't like your seats? You don't like the boomy sound? I'm so sorry, no problem, we got some other seats for ya. Here.

That would get the message across.

Would work for DCI. Would work for the Colts.

/Signed,

Complainer; doesn't like boomy indoor sound... :colgate:

But I didn't complain and yet I got stuck behind the post in 76 at Franklin Field. :tongue:

Of course I was one of the people who got volume 3 of DCI finals LP with country and western music on side 2 :tongue:

( can't remember what year...70 something )

Yes, I asked DCI and was basically told "tuff luck, take it up with the company that pressed the records".

and so began my grudge against DCI............ :sadlike: