Now that more people have seen them head to head

100 members have voted

1. 1. Who is solid for 13th and will challenge G-Men

• Troopers
    • Academy
    • Some other corps laying in the weeds.
    • G-Men are the 12th place corps this year.

I'll jump out and say Academy 14, Troop 13, and Gmen 12th.

Colts and Spirit might have something to say about that :tongue:

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

According to the folks who get the free DCI polo shirts, two areas are killing them right now. Brass performance and Ensemble Performance had them in 8th place in both categories, this would be behind Pac Crest. They have to get more out of the Ens. Performance from all areas, but I have thought all season long that the brass had a young sound and had tons of intonation issues in the mellos. It was very evident to me in the octet about midway through the show...the lead mello player was about a quarter of a pitch off. It made my ears scream....listen and tune.

So, the horns and ensemble performance are holding them back from being further ahead of Troopers according to the judges. Clearly, the G-Men got a big nod from the judges in almost every category outside of GE. So, we'll see what the next two weeks bring. A reminder...Academy does not generally practice in heavy air. Humid for Phoenix is about 35%...not the 90% of the southeast this time of year. It's the old "not the heat it's the humidity" argument. We'll see how it pans out in and out of Atlanta.

I really appreciate the good points you make regarding the Academy's two areas of weakness.

From the perspective of a FN mic'ed camera, high above and far from the 50 yard line in the pressbox, the Academy looked and sounded like a Top 12 Contender to me. IMHO, Pace wise, when I watched them head to head, the Academy show was a sprint, the Glassmen more like a jog. Let's hope speed doesn't kill their chances.

Here's hoping Mark Richardson and brass staff will make the most of the judges comments, along with the kids.

Colts and Spirit might have something to say about that :tongue:

Given Spirit's distance last night going head to head against GMen, Academy, and the Troopers, I'd say the chances of that are awfully dim.

Colts even more dim.

There's an assumption with this post that the Glassmen will not get better. Year in, year out, they are underestimated. They are always given up for dead and they always manage to come in just under the wire. I like Academy's show a lot, but I just can't help but think that they will lose a little steam as they travel more. They've had a pretty easy schedule thus far and as they get east it will slow their progress.

I'm impressed with the progress Troop has made and see them getting even better. I'll jump out and say Academy 14, Troop 13, and Gmen 12th.

I agree with you Tom. Glad to see your a bit more optimistic this year. Troop a close 14, Academy in 13, and on the heels of the Glassmen, hopefully overtaking them by August.

No one is saying that the Glassmen won't improve, of course they will, but as they do, so will Academy and the Troopers, as will all the corps. Maybe Crown might overtake BD??!!

Having seen nothing but webcasts up til now, I can tell you that Troop (and many others) are a whole different corps in person. Troop was struggling with how to deliver the story of their show, but there are changes now that make it much clearer. I like what Academy has to offer musically, and they are definitely in the running. I wouldn't put Colts or Spirit out of the race either.

I agree with you Tom. Glad to see your a bit more optimistic this year. Troop a close 14, Academy in 13, and on the heels of the Glassmen, hopefully overtaking them by August.

No one is saying that the Glassmen won't improve, of course they will, but as they do, so will Academy and the Troopers, as will all the corps. Maybe Crown might overtake BD??!!

Troopers won't make top 12. Neither will Academy. And I'm not a fan of the GMen this year because I can't watch the show due to their staff being too incompetent to get the corps in tune. There's just a lot more meat to what the GMen are doing, and that colorguard of theirs really enhances their visual program.

I'd be 100% fine with being wrong here....I just don't see it happening.

Troopers won't make top 12. Neither will Academy. And I'm not a fan of the GMen this year because I can't watch the show due to their staff being too incompetent to get the corps in tune. There's just a lot more meat to what the GMen are doing, and that colorguard of theirs really enhances their visual program.

I'd be 100% fine with being wrong here....I just don't see it happening.

I'd be happy to see Academy with a 13th place finish this year. That would make 2@13th ('10, '07), 1@14th ('09), and 1@17th('08) in their 4 year WC history - a force to be reckoned with, unlike past AZ Corps. Even happier if they squeak into 12th. Mark just has to find that "one thing" that pushes them over into a strong 2nd tier corps.

Who knows what can happen... it only took Star 7 years to get a championship...

Edited by xrock80

There's an assumption with this post that the Glassmen will not get better. Year in, year out, they are underestimated. They are always given up for dead and they always manage to come in just under the wire. I like Academys show a lot, but I just can't help but think that they will lose a little steam as they travel more. They've had a pretty easy schedule thus far and as they get east it will slow their progress.

I'm impressed with the progress Troop has made and see them getting even better. I'll jump out and say Academy 14, Troop 13, and Gmen 12th.

There is no such assumption. One of the choices in G-Men in 12th. There are no corps ahead of them they will catch. Not unless the members can better tune their instruments.

But, after saying that...kudos on a fabulous guard and some really good work from them. How does this corps continue to cultivate such great guard personnel?

Academy is starting to look like the new kid on the block. Will surprise a few people in Allentown....