STOMP! Live on Hulu

http://www.hulu.com/watch/165102/stomp-live

Seriously .... if Stomp is doing a 2 hour show on a free website ..... why isn't DCI doing this?

If you want to expand to new markets, sometimes you have to give it away for free.

At least this would be a somewhat inexpensive outlet for the organization to spread their wings.

CMON MARKETING DEPARTMENT ............. GET ON THIS!!!!!!!

http://www.hulu.com/watch/165102/stomp-live

Seriously .... if Stomp is doing a 2 hour show on a free website ..... why isn't DCI doing this?

If you want to expand to new markets, sometimes you have to give it away for free.

At least this would be a somewhat inexpensive outlet for the organization to spread their wings.

CMON MARKETING DEPARTMENT ............. GET ON THIS!!!!!!!

I saw STOMP live a few years back in NYC. What a real treat! It's worth a viewing if you haven't caught the show.

As far as your marketing suggestion...Though a great idea in concept...I'm not sure that the "product" is all that great for the masses in this format. It could be worth a try.

The word "drum corps" in an of itself means absolutely nothing to someone that does not know about it. Therefore the focus should not be on trying to market to the "new" masses, but to bring back the legacy fans that have been alienated from the activity for one reason or another over the last 30 or so years. You want to see the activity grow then market to bring them back. For this to succeed I'm sure there are a lot more people on here with more intelligent ideas than myself. I say create a think tank and see where that goes.

I saw STOMP live a few years back in NYC. What a real treat! It's worth a viewing if you haven't caught the show.

As far as your marketing suggestion...Though a great idea in concept...I'm not sure that the "product" is all that great for the masses in this format. It could be worth a try.

The word "drum corps" in an of itself means absolutely nothing to someone that does not know about it. Therefore the focus should not be on trying to market to the "new" masses, but to bring back the legacy fans that have been alienated from the activity for one reason or another over the last 30 or so years. You want to see the activity grow then market to bring them back. For this to succeed I'm sure there are a lot more people on here with more intelligent ideas than myself. I say create a think tank and see where that goes.

While I agree with your statement, I think the G7 and old board of directors was making it pretty clear that they want to expand to new markets and draw in casual fans that know nothing about drum corps.

Hulu is actually a site that is offering documentaries and educational pieces that get TONS of views from people who know little to nothing about the genre they are about to watch. I know I am one of those people and I've seen the hits on some of the most "out there" videos available. I have a feeling that if DCI handed over a world championships DVD ... it would be put on there for free .. since all of their programming is a simple rebroadcast of pieces available on other websites, or pieces that are given to them to host on their site and costs are covered by commercial sponsors.

I would also add that the viewing on ESPN2 some years back was reaching viewing ratings that were higher than that of the PBS days. I hope someone out there has the data since I do not .. but I remember some BIG numbers being posted when that venture was underway.

Just sayin.

Edited by supersop

Anyone know of the licensing issues dealing with using Hulu?

DCI has only limited distribution rights of the material provided.

STOMP is 100% the creative property of the STOMP production company.

It would probably cost a lot more to ask for a world wide distribution of other peoples creative property as they would

have to disclose that as their intent.

Sometimes, companies are giving Bands, Corps, and indoor groups permission to perform, but not "Permission to distribute" which is why

once in awhile you catch a DVD with the sound blanked out during part of the performance.

I still don't understand how it would be a copyright issue. It's free distribution. They wouldn't be making any money off of a free viewing .. but they could direct people to their website and fan network. The DCI tent shows past shows constantly at Contests .......... what's the difference?

I still don't understand how it would be a copyright issue. It's free distribution. They wouldn't be making any money off of a free viewing .. but they could direct people to their website and fan network. The DCI tent shows past shows constantly at Contests .......... what's the difference?

At DCI contests and etc., it's not free distribution via an Internet site. It's got a far more limited audience with selectivity, which matters a lot under copyright law.

Copyright isn't just about making money.

At DCI contests and etc., it's not free distribution via an Internet site. It's got a far more limited audience with selectivity, which matters a lot under copyright law.

Copyright isn't just about making money.

OTOH there are a lot of legitimate content producers putting stuff out there People raise the "copyright" issue over and over but amazingly enough companies who produce content are able to put them on the interwebs everyday. IMO DCI has badly missed the boat on viral marketing.

The fan network is part of the terms. And is also a paid function. This is why Youtube is constantly under scrutiny of copyright lawyers.

Think back to the Metallica VS Napster fiasco. To quote Lars Ulrich, "This is not about money, its about Distribution rights".

The DCI Tent shows small clips as part of an effort to sell the DVD.

I am sure that DCI/WGI hate this more than we do. It involves a great deal of work and headaches.

Plus they are the ones that get hit with the penalty if there are improprieties.

Believe it or not, this is not done to annoy you. Some things are just neccessary these days. Heck, we cant even get through

Marching band without dealing with this anymore. The average Marching band will produce MAYBE 40 copies of a championship to be sold.

A few parents, maybe the band director will buy it. Thats it. There are no "Fans" lining up for a copy of ABC High Schools championship

DVD but we still have to deal with all of this. DCI actually will see a few hundred or maybe a few thousand copies for the popular corps.

I would also add that the viewing on ESPN2 some years back was reaching viewing ratings that were higher than that of the PBS days. I hope someone out there has the data since I do not .. but I remember some BIG numbers being posted when that venture was underway.

Just sayin.

I agree with your numbers of PBS versus ESPN2. My question is now what % of the ESPN2 viewers became "new paying fans to shows" after seeing the broadcast?